SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handgun for self defense
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun for self defense Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Been carying for 15 yrs. Never pulled my gun, however because of a panhandler I rested my hand on the gun through my shirt and he decided to leave.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Closest I came to having to draw was in Flagstaff, AZ. My wife and I were out walking near the university and these two homeless guys were off the trail in the woods and one of them gave me the "come here I want to ask you something" routine so I just ignored him. He apparently didn't like that so he flips out and starts calling me names telling me to come back there and fight him. We just kept on walking but we were both looking over our shoulders until we got to a more populated area.

I was glad I had gun on me but I have to admit all I could think about was how the district attorney up there went after that retired schoolteacher that shot some crazy homeless guy on a trail. Still, I wasn't going to let this guy hurt my wife. Thankfully it didn't go any farther than it did. My wife doesn't give me a hard time about carrying a gun anymore.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Non-LE carry for 27 years now and I've pulled a gun twice for defensive purposes, in addition to a few times that I've grabbed one to check out various suspicious occurrences.

Incident 1- Many years ago, when I was new to carrying a gun for defensive purposes, I was ambushed in the early evening on a dark isolated country road by a number of individuals in multiple cars and forced to stop. They blocked any chance of my escape. There were no street lights, no passing cars, this was farm/ horse country and the few homes in the area were set back a quarter mile or more from the road, the nearest town was 20 minutes drive away, and this was before cell phones were common (and in this remote area likely wouldn't have received signal anyways). I had reason to believe that at least one of the individuals had a gun, and possibly more.

After years of reflection I made a number of mistakes in this encounter, but I also made a couple good decisions, one of which was pulling my gun out and chambering a round just prior to being stopped, however I was able to keep my gun low and hidden from plain sight in my darkened vehicle. When the leader of the group approached my vehicle, apparently looking for a confrontation, I was able to appear calm (I wasn't) and was able to de-escalate the situation verbally which is good because considering how many of them there were positioned around me it is unlikely that, if shooting started, I would have survived.

Incident 2- Working the night shift I came home for a quick lunch and while eating I heard a number of angry loud voices outside my apartment door. P226 in hand, I quietly cracked my front door open to see a number of individuals in a darkened common area descending down some steps with several of them carrying what appeared to be 2x4s and pipes and swinging them or shaking them threateningly. I couldn't be sure but from little I could make out from their comments they seemed to either be heading to or away from a party and were making angry comments about someone(s) at the party and some sort of argument or conflict and it appeared they were looking for payback. They never seemed to notice me peaking through my barely open door and never directly threatened me. I called the police, reported the incident, finished eating, and headed back to work.

Incident 3- It was a Sunday night and I didn't have anything to eat in the house and decided to drive to a nearby fast food restaurant for some authentic Mexican. The area I live in is an interesting one with a large homeless population/ street people, many panhandlers, a few hookers and drug dealers, and run down motels and businesses...and yet just 10 minutes away are multi-million dollar homes with a relatively wealthy established community. The area has slowly been going through gentrification, and we now have a number of new trendy restaurants and businesses right next to run down ones.

I had already placed my order and was waiting for my food to be prepared at the window when an individual approached my passenger side. The only light was coming from the restaurant drive-through window and a tiny bit of light from a couple far away street lights and some passing cars. There was a low wall separating the drive through lane from the darkened run down motel next door.

The guy rapped on my window. I generally maintain my SA in this part of town but it spiked at this point. I scanned what little I could make out and couldn't see any other individuals but that didn't mean they weren't there. I thought for a moment and leaned over to (manually) roll down the passenger window a couple inches and the guy asked me for a ride. He had all the appearances of one of our local homeless people, old clothes layered up, scraggly beard, and carrying a couple shopping bags. I first declined his request but he was insistent. I finally asked him why he needed a ride and where he needed to go and he explained that he was trying to get to the Salvation Army and check in for a place to stay. I decided to hand him a few dollars and told him to get a cab, he took the money, but explained that he had to be checked in to the Salvation Army by 8 P.M. (about 15 minutes from that moment) or he would be turned away. I don't know if he was in some sort of program that required his presence or if it was just a nightly requirement that all those who seek shelter be there by then but it was obvious it was important to him to get there fast. I was familiar with a different shelter that was even closer but didn't know where the SA was but he said he could give me instructions to get there quickly before the deadline. I knew the part of town it was in, old railroad tracks, old powerplant, tiny old businesses...even worse than where we were currently having this discussion.

Normally I would have flatly and unambiguously said "NO"...but it was Easter Sunday evening and my Christian tendency kicked in and it was fairly cool out...so against my better judgement I agreed to give him a ride. I opened the door and let him in. My truck is narrow and I'm a big guy which means that we were in close proximity to each other. I had my P226 holstered on my strong side but I was instantly aware that if he tried anything I would be hard pressed to release my seat belt, pull my cover clothing away from IWB holster, and draw with any proficiency or speed. The middle-aged guy quickly started talking and telling me about his exploits, mostly drinking and drug related, and used the opportunity to slowly release my seat beat buckle and pulled my clothing up and over to reveal the grip of my gun. I was particularly concerned with what he might have stashed either in the bag resting between his legs on the floor and the bag resting on his lap. If he made any move to reach in either bag or make any sudden move at all I had decided that I was going to first jam the truck brakes on and hopefully throw him forward enough that I could go "hands on" until an opportunity presented itself for me to draw my gun.

We reached the Salvation Army while the last few stragglers were going in, he got out of my truck, thanked me for the ride...and then asked if he could keep the money I had handed him earlier. I thought about it and was so relieved to reach his destination without incident that I said "sure".

Incident 4- Back in 2006 I had been considering doing a truck project myself when the very truck I was going to modify showed up on Ebay for a very attractive price and I won it in the auction. The deal terms required that a deposit be paid first and the balance be paid within 7 days which didn't leave much time for planning the trip. I realized that this was the perfect opportunity to plan a southwest road trip around the transaction and found that taking the train was my best option. I felt extremely uneasy about taking the trip without a gun, especially considering the remote desert attractions I was planning on stopping at. I even considered taking one of my defensive guns and shipping it to an FFL in Arizona or New Mexico just so that I could have them transfer it back to me for at least part of the trip, but considering the impracticality and expense of it I blew that decision off. Knowing a little about CA restrictive gun laws and not knowing whether it was doable AMTRAK wise, I elected to roll the dice and the best I could manage was a C cell Maglite.

One of my stops was in Winslow Arizona to see the Eagles display and from there I had planned to drive to the Painted Desert and photograph a sunset, but I wanted to first refuel before heading into the desert and the only place to refuel was a BUSY truck stop and it took me almost an hour waiting in line before a pump was open. As soon as I finished refueling I moved my truck to a side parking lot to open up the pump for the next car, went inside to pay and use the rest room, and then came out to my truck. The truck I had just bought had developed both an oil and a coolant leak and I had to stay diligent about checking both regularly so I decided to use the fuel stop to do so.

While I was checking the oil a short hispanic man came up to me and asked me for a ride. Again I was on alert instantly. I asked him why he needed a ride and he explained that he was on the run from the law and that his old lady had taken his car. I asked him what direction he was heading and he said East, which was the same direction I was going but I lied and said I was heading West to California (truck still had CA plates) and he instantly said he was fine going to California. I told him he should check with one of the big rig truck drivers for a ride and he said that they wouldn't give him one. I was quiet for a moment trying to decide how to handle the situation, as I was already in a dark quiet parking lot and getting ready to try and catch the last few streaks of color in the sky in a remote desert. He asked me "so are you going to give me a ride" and I replied that I was sorry for his situation but "NO". At that point I was nervous and even after finishing up my checks on the truck I sat in the parking lot for several minutes, concerned about whether he and/ or an accomplice would follow me into the desert. After about 15 minutes he returned to the parking lot and I saw him get into the drivers side door of an old Monte Carlo and drive away. I'm not sure what he had planned for me but I don't think I would have liked it. I got back on the Interstate and kept checking for anyone following me and when it didn't appear so I exited for the Painted Desert but by the time I got there I missed the sunset...I would've given anything for access to a gun during this incident.

I've pulled my gun or otherwise had my hands on it several times for defensive purposes, but to date I haven't been forced to pull the trigger and I'll be perfectly content to keep it that way.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried for several years as an LEO. after I changed career fields, I routinely carried when on trips or away from the house for extended periods. At times, my wife would complain that I didn't need to haul around a handgun all the time. I've never felt the need to draw my firearm, but have made some tactical related decisions based on an individual situation (changing direction, going back the way I came, moving into a open nearby store, etc).

On one trip, after I retired, we ended up at a shady parking lot on foot at night...great. lots of folks loitering with pretty obvious drug activity and some nice young lady discussing a business 'trade' with one of the lowlife's....as we quickly exited the area, my wife asked if I had my handgun - which being the smart ass that I am, I said 'why? seems normal here'. Never been an issue since and she will carry at times now too.

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

I have never been close to, or known of a person, who’d been close to a person who needed a firearm for defensive purposes. It’s kinda like the lottery in that “well, someone has to win”,(victim) and I guess that’s right. But it seems you hear about incidents all the time. I’ve had my CCW for 10 years now, don’t carry every day and my state has a pretty good “castle” and stand your ground law so this thread has me thinking I’ll give up my “CCW insurance” next time it’s up for renewal.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
26 years as an LEO, which included a 10 year stint on a very large and busy city SWAT team, and by the Lord's grace, I never had to put anyone down. I've been in several situations where criminals had considered trying to put me down, but for reasons known only to Heaven, no one ever took that final step.

Came close to shooting felons many times...too many to count, but for reasons beyond my understanding, my situations were always rectified without gunfire, and for that, I am truly blessed.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my recent police academy graduates, one of whom was involved in an OIS just 2 nights ago. It's the Wild West in rural Arkansas. Meth is a helluva drug.

The closest I ever came to putting someone down off-duty was on a weekday about 18 years ago, and like Q, I was at my apartment, but with my 3 year old son. Rather than call on-duty officers, the landlord sent an emotionally disturbed man to my apartment after he'd been acting very erratically and menacingly in the main office. Rather than knocking on my door, the man began kicking it so hard that I could see daylight at the bottom of the door with each kick. I could tell that the doorknob lock was engaged but that the deadbolt was not. I scooped up my son and grabbed my P220 .45 out of the top of the closet and took a point on the front door behind the cover of a bedroom doorway. I went through it all: denial, SNS activation, what if's, and anger that my beloved son was in danger from this blithering idiot. As the door was being kicked, I was suddenly overwhelmed by a sense of peace and calm that is hard to describe even now. I basically said the following to myself, "I'm a professional. I'm trained. I'm competent. I'm reasonable. I've planned for this. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. When that door comes down, I'm killing this man and it will be okay because no one is getting to my baby boy. I'm in fear for his life."

Then, as abruptly as it started, it ended. The suspect left my apartment but I watched through the window as he managed to get in on a young girl who'd left her nearby apartment door unlocked. I ran my son to the landlord's wife and sprinted back to the girl's apartment. Fearing a rape, I didn't wait for backup. When I beat on the door, a young girl with "the look" in her eyes...the look of absolute stark terror...opened the door. I saw the suspect close behind her and I asked her, "Do you know this man?" and she just shook her head no. As I tried to get around her and into the apartment, the suspect ran to the door and slammed it on my forearm. I can still remember the pain and how much that pissed me off. A fight ensued inside her apartment, which I won, and I held the suspect in a compliance hold until uniforms got there. The best news is that I didn't have to shoot that man. The next best news is that the girl wasn't raped. The third best news was that he went to jail. It wasn't pretty but it was a win.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Been carrying on and off for about 29 years, minus the one year I was stationed in Korea, the two years I was stationed in NJ, and the 4 years in Germany. Also, because of my job and its location, I don’t usually carry on work days (4 days out of 7). Thank God I’ve never had to even display my sidearm, let alone use it. And I pray it continues that way!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1684 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 1 "almost" incident in close to 10 years of carrying.
Walking my dog after dark in our neighborhood. I hear someone knocking on one of our neighbor's doors trying to get let inside. I can make him out somewhat in the moonlight and houselights. He is a big man. He notices me walking on the road nearby and turns and starts walking stridently towards me. As he comes closer I shout to him to "stop!". He keeps coming and I clear my shirt and put my hand on the butt of my pistol. He gets within 6 feet and finally stops when I tell him again.
My heart is racing and I am obviously wondering what is up with this person. My dog is calm.
After a few seconds, this guy squats down and starts crying, asking for help. After much discussion and questioning, it turns out that he is a 50 some year old man with early onset alzheimers. He wandered away from his sisters house he was visiting and got lost. I finally figured out who she was and was able to get him back to his family. Obviouisly, it could have ended so much worse. I am grateful for restraint.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
45Cal and I live in a high crime area so we tend to keep our heads on a swivel. I have draw my pistol and go to, 'low ready' a few times over the years.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4398 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Interesting thread.

I have never been close to, or known of a person, who’d been close to a person who needed a firearm for defensive purposes. It’s kinda like the lottery in that “well, someone has to win”,(victim) and I guess that’s right. But it seems you hear about incidents all the time. I’ve had my CCW for 10 years now, don’t carry every day and my state has a pretty good “castle” and stand your ground law so this thread has me thinking I’ll give up my “CCW insurance” next time it’s up for renewal.

So, because in the 10 years that you’ve been carrying you have not needed your CCW, you are going to not renew your license, and stop carrying?

Posts: 13685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Interesting thread.

So, because in the 10 years that you’ve been carrying you have not needed your CCW, you are going to not renew your license, and stop carrying?

I'm leaning in the other direction. I'm zero for 25 years, so I'm going to keep doing what's working. The wanted outcome has taken place!!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zero. Just like the need for a seal belt or motorcycle helmet. Hope I never need to use any of them.

Posts: 5430 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I practice avoidance of stupid people, places and things. So far its worked. The last time I was in a shooting incident in the military. If I'm never involved in a shooting incident again I'll be a happy camper!

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The only time I would have been a breath away from drawing off duty, or anytime after retirement, was with my wife and my young kids in my car, back in the late 90's.

I was stopped at a light and the passenger of the car in front of mine gets out and starts straight for my wife's side of the car. I was unarmed. It was close to home, in a good area, on a short store run- didn't need it Eek.

I quickly got outside of my car, standing between the door and door frame, started yelling at the guy to get back in his car and went through the motions of preparing to draw a pistol. He continued toward my wife for several steps saying he just wanted to find out where he could find a payphone. I continued yelling at him to get in his car. He stopped, then went back to his car.

After that experience, I never go out unarmed.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

I think he means not renewing the "CCW insurance," not the license.

Posts: 28029 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

I think he means not renewing the "CCW insurance," not the license.

That makes sense, I just thought he meant the “insurance” of being armed.

Posts: 13685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had occasion to draw or even reach for my pistol in the 12 years I've carried with a concealed handgun license. In fact, one thing I noticed immediately upon getting the license was the thought that actually using the weapon in self defense would likely bring unpleasant change and great difficulty into my life. I'm very careful to avoid places and situations which might lead to confrontation. I believe carrying has made me more polite and thoughtful when I'm out and about.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have carried in my civilian capacity since 1963. I took a shortcut through a ghetto area in a large city around 3:00 am in the summer of 1967 after taking my girlfriend home.

Two guys tried to run me off the street with their car. I drew my handgun and put it out the driver side window. The passenger apologized and said they thought I was someone else. They turned off, I put my gun away, went back to the military base, and went to bed.

I learned not to take shortcuts through ghetto areas around 3:00 am. I still carry from the time I get dressed until it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never had occasion to draw or even reach for my pistol in the 12 years I've carried with a concealed handgun license. In fact, one thing I noticed immediately upon getting the license was the thought that actually using the weapon in self defense would likely bring unpleasant change and great difficulty into my life. I'm very careful to avoid places and situations which might lead to confrontation. I believe carrying has made me more polite and thoughtful when I'm out and about.

Reminds me of the saying “An armed society is a polite society”

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post