SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    *Update 11-05-2022* To My Question Re: Return of Stolen Handgun in PA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Update 11-05-2022* To My Question Re: Return of Stolen Handgun in PA Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Send the US Attorney, CMRRR, a letter with the facts of your firearm's ownership. Demand your property be returned to you and provide the name and address of a FFL person to receive it. If you have any original documents purchasing it, photo of the original box ect. make copies and include them. If it's worth traveling to Philadelphia you could show up pros se (without an attorney and state your case in court. Lawyer would be expensive.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Philly PD?

You’ll be lucky if you actually ever get it back
Frown

100% agree, if your gun is on the possession of the philly police department you'll probably need to get a court order to get it returned to you.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Philly PD?

Frown

100% agree, if your gun is on the possession of the philly police department you'll probably need to get a court order to get it returned to you.

The case was adjudicated at the Federal level with the defendant having plead guilty to the charge of "possession of a firearm by a convicted felon". While the pistol was recovered by the Philadelphia PD, I am now dealing with the US District Court of Eastern PA. It remains unclear if the pistol is still in possession of the Philadelphia PD evidence room or has been transferred to the ATF. Either way, I have no realistic expectation of recovering my property. At this point, this is merely an academic exercise. My plan is to pursue this until I have exhausted all avenues.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Philly PD?

Frown

The case was adjudicated at the Federal level with the defendant having plead guilty to the charge of "possession of a firearm by a convicted felon". While the pistol was recovered by the Philadelphia PD, I am now dealing with the US District Court of Eastern PA. It remains unclear if the pistol is still in possession of the Philadelphia PD evidence room or has been transferred to the ATF. Either way, I have no realistic expectation of recovering my property. At this point, this is merely an academic exercise. My plan is to pursue this until I have exhausted all avenues.

It may be with the Clerk of the Court. If it was a trial as opposed to a plea, it would have been introduced as evidence.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A suggestion, if I may.

Immediately change out the barrel and firing pin to make sure no cases not known now are not brought forward and involve you in the future. Store them away elsewhere in a place that you can verify the last time you've accessed it.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update 11-05-2022
In response to my petition(s), the US District Court has confirmed my interest in the stolen pistol and has ordered the property to be returned to me.
How very noble of them.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Update 11-05-2022
In response to my petition(s), the US District Court has confirmed my interest in the stolen pistol and has ordered the property to be returned to me.
How very noble of them.

Indeed. Given the fact I was notified almost immediately by the investigating department that my pistol had been recovered, one would assume establishing legal interest in the property would not require the filing of two petitions, a separate investigation and resultant court order.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
It's good to see you're being diligent about having your property returned to you. Those responsible for slow-walking YOUR PROPERTY are doing you an injustice and I hope you'll continue to do whatever is necessary. While you might not want to continue your efforts after you receive your gun back, I think (and hope) additional follow up will be done to prevent other innocent VICTIMS from having to go through similar shit will be taken.

Suing those who tried to keep you from getting your gun back isn't gong to result in much as far as damages go, but attorney fees and time off from work can add up. Even if you don't pursue this issue civilly, making your situation public as a violation of constitutional rights at a minimum could inspire others in similar situations to stand up or even make some positive changes to the police department's policies and procedures.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
A suggestion, if I may.

Immediately change out the barrel and firing pin to make sure no cases not known now are not brought forward and involve you in the future. Store them away elsewhere in a place that you can verify the last time you've accessed it.

This gun has already been entered into NIBIN. The odds of recovering brass from some crime now, after it has been seized and held for a long time, is extremely remote. Certainly not worth the cost of a barrel and firing pin.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post