SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P365 Owner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P365 Owner Login/Join 
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted
Long time member, but haven't been around much lately.

Picked up a new P365 today at the local gunshow. Plan to use it as my summer carry gun. Tulster Profile holster has already been ordered. May pick up a 365X frame for it.

Looking for tips/tricks, problems to lookout for, mod recommendations, etc, etc, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

---------------
Jeffrey

P365 - GGI P220ST 10mm - Sig Mosquito - Various Others

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7897 | Location: WNC Native, now in Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: August 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat grip modules are wonderful.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own the P365X, added the Hogue grip sleeve. Totally transformed the grip, in a very good way.

Posts: 81 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I can HIGHLY recommend the Armory Craft Extended Checkered Mag Release as an upgrade. I find the Mag Release on the P365 somewhat slick/lacking in purchase, and a little to flat to the Grip Module. The Armory Craft is only extended 2mm, but it's a night & day difference when compared to the SIG oem Mag Release. I consider it a mandatory upgrade the P365.

Adding the P365XL Grip Module (essentially a home spun P365X) is a BIG improvement over the std. P365 Grip Module and well worth it IMO. It allows for 'proper purchase' of the Pistol, and gets my pinky to be on the gun, where it should be. It also eliminates the potential pinch point when using 12 rd.Mags (w/ the floorplate spacer) in a std P365 Grip Module. The potential exists to be 'pinched' especially during a reload while under stress when using the std P365 Grip Module and 12 rd. Mags. I can get all of my fingers ON the P365XL Grip Module (with or without the Magazine in the gun), so better 'purchase' and ZERO chance of getting pinched.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8894 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tulster Profile holster

YEah, an extended mag release on a small pistol purchased for IWB carry. Let us know how well that works out when you draw your gun and the mag falls out. BTW, 1 out of 100 draws is 1 too many.

Tips for the P365. First off that trigger group is very easy to remove, so plan on cleaning the lint out of your gun once a month. Second, consider every "mod" to be a degradation on the reliability of the pistol you are trusting your life to. If that modified trigger fails to reset just one time it could be on the day you die.

The best "mod" you can use is to train with your gun. Train to the point where you don't need your sights so that just presenting your gun properly centers your group in the 10 ring. Also keep in mind that tiny little groups only prove you know how to waste valuable time. If you want to be impressive putting 5 shots into a 5 inch circle with a .2 second split is impressive, taking 10-15 seconds to shoot a 1 inch group is not.

Finally I have found that the sights on the P365 are horrible. Good news is it points very well if you put in the practice time so those sights really aren't needed. It is a Defense pistol, so you will be shooting at 30 feet or less. This is point shooting range and there is nothing faster than point shooting a handgun. Because you don't have to take the time to line up sights or find a red dot, you point and pull the trigger. So just keep that pistol bare naked. At the most I would suggest a small dab of White paint over the front sight. Yeah it will be useless as a "night sight" but that green front sight is a lot dimmer than a plain white dot with just a hint of ambient lighting.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The magazines are difficult to load and you will need some sort of device to assist you.

Practice as much as you can. I got mine about a year ago and shot it enough to make sure it was reliable. I plan to do more shooting with it as soon as the weather warms up.

It is my EDC and I have been very pleased and am not afraid to recommend it.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take it to the range and shoot it alot.

Get extra mags. You can use the larger capacity magazines in the pistol. The adapters make it comfortable. If you find you prefer the larger mags, you can change the grip module.

Practice drawing and dry firing at home (with the correct safety steps).

It's a good pistol out of the box.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The only things I’ve done to my XL are changing the front site to a high contrast night site and put a Magguts +2 kit in the 12 round magazine (14 +1 now).
I’ve had it about two years and everything has been flawless.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The only things I’ve done to my XL are changing the front site to a high contrast night site and put a Magguts +2 kit in the 12 round magazine (14 +1 now).

What sites did you go with?

---------------
Jeffrey

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7897 | Location: WNC Native, now in Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: August 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
The magazines are difficult to load and you will need some sort of device to assist you.

First range trip today....I definitely agree with this!!

---------------
Jeffrey

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Forgive him OP, for he knows not what he's posting about!
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Tulster Profile holster

YEah, an extended mag release on a small pistol purchased for IWB carry. Let us know how well that works out when you draw your gun and the mag falls out. BTW, 1 out of 100 draws is 1 too many.

Hey Scooter, ever seen an Extended Mag Release for a P365? You should know that both Armory Craft AND GrayGuns offer one for the P365.

https://www.armorycraft.com/pr...e-catch-with-texture
https://grayguns.com/product/p...ed-magazine-release/

While the Armory Craft provides dimensional data indicating it's extended 2mm, GrayGuns chooses not to provide that data. Regardless, both are contoured & checkered to provide better ergonomics and to assist in positive purchase on the Mag Release, and that's the whole point! Even SIG thought extending & texturing the Mag Release was a good idea and made that improvement when they released the P365 XMACRO.

I have an IWB Holster from Garrett Industries, and an OWB Holster from Gunfighters[INC], and a Trigger Guard 'Holster' from Detroit Holster, all of which provide plenty of clearance for the Extended Mag Release!

The Magazine Release is the first thing to clear the holster on draw, and the path of the pistol is guided/limited by the slide and the trigger guard during that action. In the case of the P365, the trigger guard is straight and NOT tapered in any way. This assures the likelihood of the Extended Mag Release being somehow depressed on draw is basically ZERO. Obviously, one should check fit/clearance on ANY holster, regardless of whether the pistol is modified or not, but in the case of a quality holster, the claim you present is a Non-Issue!

Both Armory Craft and GrayGuns make safe, reliable, quality components to 'mod' / improve the performance, reliability and ergonomics of semi-auto handguns. Both also provide appropriate cautions to notify the user if a certain modification is not appropriate for a certain use (competition vs defensive carry), and neither offer any such cautions for the Extended Mag Release for the P365. Perhaps you should contact one of these vendors and express your concerns...And maybe you should start counting as well. The fact is, the improved ergonomics and 'purchase' of the Extended Mag Release might just save your life in a during a reload under stress if involved in a defensive shooting situation.

And for the record, you are the only one posting in this thread that has brought up anything about a 'modified trigger'...Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8894 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorfolkP229:
quote:

I don't remember the exact specification but they were Trijicon HD orange, front only. Left the rear sight stock.
I tried a Holosun Red Dot when I first bought it because it was an easy install and so many said they were the best thing since sliced bread.
I just couldn't get comfortable with it after so many decades and decided for my intended use I'd go with something I was used to.
The bright orange sight is easy for my older eyes to pick up quickly and I'm more than accurate enough that way.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NorfolkP229:
quote:

I don't remember the exact specification but they were Trijicon HD orange, front only. Left the rear sight stock.
I tried a Holosun Red Dot when I first bought it because it was an easy install and so many said they were the best thing since sliced bread.
I just couldn't get comfortable with it after so many decades and decided for my intended use I'd go with something I was used to.
The bright orange sight is easy for my older eyes to pick up quickly and I'm more than accurate enough that way.

I was online the other night looking at that exact Trijicon orange site. Like it?

---------------
Jeffrey

posted Hide Post
I left mine completely bone stock. The engineers at Sig are smarter than I am in this area. My only suggestion is to get a Sticky pocket holster. It's a great addition.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get some XL mags if you plan on swapping grip modules. I prefer the XL grip out of all the options they have.

Not sure how familiar you are with the combat sighting system. I say this as I swapped out the front sight on mine to match the same height as the rear. I always shot low with the factory set up.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post