SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Budget Priced Pistols
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget Priced Pistols Login/Join 
posted
Would you buy a “budget based” pistol/brand? If so what is the desired outcome? I have never purchased one but am now toying with buying one or two.
Stoeger STR 9 Full Size (can be had for $200 -$300)
Canik TP 9 or Mete (Not sure if it’s a budget priced gun but it’s less than most)
I would use them at the range only to have some variance. Can they handle 5k rounds per year put through them?
I’m assuming they will not be shot as much as my favorites but one never knows. I like the way both look and feel.

Posts: 73 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
CZ P10's can be found in the sub $400 price range and would be a great lower priced firearm..

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the Stoeger and the Canik. Of the two, I feel the Canik is the better gun. That said, I have about 1K through them without issue.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't since I can buy CZ P-10's for $300-$330, Springfield XDM Elites for $350, and Walther PDP's for mid $400's.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
I wouldn't since I can buy CZ P-10's for $300-$330, Springfield XDM Elites for $350, and Walther PDP's for mid $400's.

I have seen the CZs for under $400. Where are you seeing them for $330 and the PDPs for $450? That’s pretty tough pricing. I have seen the Stoeger for $199 but add in FFL for $25 and freight of $40 and it’s not as screaming of a deal. Are you factoring in those numbers?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vaftocr,

Posts: 73 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I almost picked up a Stoeger…they were$199 plus $20 shipping, ffl $20. $50 rebate…would’ve been $189…better than a hi point. I think it would be good as a pistol to be able to lend to a close friend or family or to keep as a New York reload at a strategic spot at the house(no kid).

But there are so many deals like the P10C or APX for about $350. I have picked up m&p for $350 And recently, a Masada for $250.

I will still rather get a quality brand pistol for $250-350.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caniks have such a following, they have steadily been increasing their prices. I could never warm-up to them, but that's just me. The Stoeger's are a steal-of-a-deal if you find a good price. Ditto the Masada.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The only "budget based" pistols I would buy are from Ruger.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you buy a “budget based” pistol/brand?

Yes, but it does depend upon the brand or model. I've had good results with Caniks, Tisas, Shield+, cheap Rugers like the EC9 and Wrangler.

Conversely I won't allow myself to ever trust Taurus again. And despite the budget friendly current price point, we still have a P-10C with a trigger reset issue that CZ has yet to make right, despite two trips back and subsequent receptions of two quite bogus clean bills of health. That family of CZ is definitely not on my wantlist.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot a full-size Canik for the first time on Sunday. I can see why people like them. It's a very competent plastic striker-fired handgun with a nice trigger for the genre and excellent recoil characteristics. If I was shopping for something like that, I'd definitely give them a look. I don't believe they're as cheap as they once were, though.

At the risk of exposing my DA/SA bias, if by "Budget" you mean "Undervalued" , I think the Beretta PX4 and CZ P07/P09 are great buys for the money, and can often be found used around $400. The P07/09 are a recent discovery for me, and our example did take some work to get it where we wanted it, but I'm very impressed with the outcome.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
There are so many cheaper guns available today from the like of Beretta, CZ, and FN to name a few, that it is inconceivable that I would need to buy from an unproven manufacturer. I generally have no problem trying to save money, but being cheap and buying cheap tools is something my frugal grandparents taught me not to do. As to buying an untested budget brand it’s not necessary in today’s market.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Over the years I got a few good deals on used guns, reputable brands. My ‘cheaper’ handful have been a Taurus or 2 and a Kahr, used.

There may be a reason why one wants a cheaper gun, where stored, how used, whatever. It may not be best to have your $1200 gun there.

Often the biggie is reliability. Once it’s tested properly with suitable ammo, should be fine. If you shoot a fair amount of trouble free rounds, I doubt it will malfunction with the next 2 shots.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I grabbed a CZ P09 for $299 and recently saw the P10C for $299 as well. Just join the newsletter from grabagun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
There are so many cheaper guns available today from the like of Beretta, CZ, and FN to name a few, that it is inconceivable that I would need to buy from an unproven manufacturer. I generally have no problem trying to save money, but being cheap and buying cheap tools is something my frugal grandparents taught me not to do. As to buying an untested budget brand it’s not necessary in today’s market.

I admit, I’m partially a gun snob and subscribe to what you wrote. If my life were on the line I feel comfy with Sig, HK, and S&Ws. For that reason, it’s all I own. However, in this case I am thinking about branching out just for the sake of doing it. Range plinkers only. Your tool analogy is spot on. I buy only Bosch and they last forever. But, if I need a specialty tool that I won’t really need again, it’s off to Harbor Freight for a cheapie.
I think Beretta,CZ and FN are quality guns though, not budget guns.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Beretta,CZ and FN are quality guns though, not budget guns.

I agree, but Beretta APX 1 guns can be had for $239 and CZ and FN have models +/- $400. So if I were in the market for more variety I would likely start there. The used market is also currently very heavily weighted toward buyers. I would be scouring the used market for something that scratches whatever itch I had for something different.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found the surplus and used market to be the way to go for something interesting and high quality but less expensive. The strategy doesn't necessarily pay off every single time, but on average it's an excellent way to acquire more items of quality than I would otherwise get. I have gotten some of my absolute top favorite firearms that way and would never have known they were destined to become favorites until I tried them out.

I can understand the general curiosity about the budget-end of the market, though. Just to see what "current year" manufacturing can do on a budget. Gives a bit of perspective. Unfortunately, ammo costs will rapidly approach the cost of the gun, and you will probably find that the novelty of shooting a cheap gun dies off quickly.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ruger LC9 & a KelTec P11 are my 'budget' guns.
Wife carries the LC9 & the P11 sits in the safe for the rare times I need something smaller than the P320C which is my EDC

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I haven't and wouldn't for economic and practical reasons for my own situation.
Mine are purchased for both home and CCW so I value the functional aspects first and foremost. I'm carrying almost any time I'm not sleeping or in the shower so a range gun isn't something I need.

The cost to be sure any gun is going to be reliable in my hands, requires shooting at least a couple of hundred practice rounds followed by a minimum of fifty carry rounds. Easily $150-200 or more in ammo. That alone would negate the lower price of a "budget" gun, maybe a Canik or Ruger in my case.
A failure would require starting over with another so the cost of just ammo quickly adds up.
Then there's the resale, if I were to sell (although I haven't so far). The budget gun will sell for less, so much of the perceived savings goes away at that time.

If I felt the need or just didn't have the money I'd be more likely to buy a nice used version of a Sig or Glock that would bring me into the same price range of the budget guns mentioned.

Posts: 9526 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
So far the Stoeger STR-9 has been a solid pistol for me. Essentially a gen 3 Glock inside. Better ergos.

Video if interested. https://youtu.be/_Jisqg32sbY?si=eMQ_u5lBn0-tkgsU

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've had good experiences with Kel-Tec and Bersa pistols over the years. The Bersa 380CC was one of my favorite .380's when I was into that round.

Still own a Kel-Tec 9mm carbine that has been great.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post