SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    228 Swiss Police pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

228 Swiss Police pistol Login/Join 
Picture of usmc-nav
posted
I am thinking of perhaps getting a P228 that is for sale or trade near me. It is marked on the left side
polizei kanton solothurn. It has the crest for this area (looks like a capital P. polizei kanton solothurn sig 228. Numbers match and it is import marked on the right side

Are these collectible or just basically another P228? Would you trade a 220 SAO in 45 for it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usmc-nav,

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
If it looks as nice as that one I would 'collect' it! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have 2 of those when they were imported. Nothing special other than being a 228. Not collectible.

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It is collectible to those who like to collect this kind of thing. Some would say that the nasty import scribble by PW Arms tends to kill any collectability. To me, it's just another fine P228.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it in a heartbeat for the right price.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple of them but they had a small PWA mark and a different Swiss markings vs what's on this one.

Posts: 770 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back the Police over there dumped these guns on our market. They had all kinds of Police markings and cantons or whatever they are called. You could get them pretty cheap and mainly you got the markings that you got. Mine kind of sucked. They had been refinished and were sloppy like rattle can sloppy. The seller actually gave me a discount on my pair because I felt he had wildly overstated their condition.

If you got a good one and there were plenty of really good ones, then it's a nice little 228. Some of them were basically unused. Mine were not even close to that.

I still don't think they are collectible in the sense that they won't go for more $$$ unless you find the right guy who is looking for that particular mark.

Sometimes a good alcohol cleanse and some Alumablack and the PW Import marks disappear nearly.

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I am going to keep my 220 SAO so seller offered it to me for $700 with 2 zipperback mags.

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usmc-nav:
I am going to keep my 220 SAO so seller offered it to me for $700 with 2 zipperback mags.

I'd probably buy it. Wink

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe it is worth it to other people. But I think of the other guns I could buy for $700. It just doesn't seem worth buying a used P228 in that condition for $700.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seen a lot worse cosmetic condition police service pistols. Would be of more interest to those who collect former police pistols. $700 doesn't seem out of range in the current market, probably on the lower end of the scale for a P-228. Disregarding it's police heritage it would probably be a fine shooter grade pistol.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine years ago. Presumably from the canton of Vaud.
The badge:

The import mark:

The box, which was apparently originally issued to “Alain Bovy”. Gotta hand it to them for keeping the original packaging!

Ultimately, no, I don’t think the marking makes it worth any more. To some, it might even be defacing it. But, some select few might see it as adding value. I don’t see it that way, but someone may.

ETA: just checked and got it from Wideners in 2011 for $465. Also, I tried shrinking the photos but apparently not enough. Apologies!

ETA2: I like how they edited out the serial on the frame but didn’t do the slide!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll buy the next one of those that I see. I want a Zurich marked 228. For no good reason other than I don't have one.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my Swiss police P228. I got it from Top Gun Supply for $499.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you guys lucked out and got the admin or detective guns!

I either got one issued to their version of an HRT team, or maybe just the Swiss Eugene Tackleberry who spent every night in front of the mirror practicing his fast draw…

Still, if I recall, it was crazy cheap way back when, and it’s a great shooting pistol!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything you get would be better than the ones from Buds years ago. I think mine was used for some sort of reliability or funcionality test. They didn't toss it out of a chopper but a plane instead I think......it survived. Darn thing was so beat up..... to hell and back. Smile

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
Bump conversation.

I was just offered the pistol for $550 or best offer

posted Hide Post
Good things happen for folks who wait. Wink

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bump conversation.

I was just offered the pistol for $550 or best offer

Offer $500. In the original pics you posted, the gun looks to be in excellent shape, despite scuff marks here and there.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post