SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another HK P30 thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another HK P30 thread Login/Join 
posted
So I bought a P30 a couple weeks ago. V1, light LEM, night sights, 3 mags (49 bucks apiece ouch).

After messing with it for a few weeks I have come to the conclusion this MIGHT be my perfect gun in this size.

I say might because there are some flaws but I am on the road to rectifying them. First off, the slide release is way too long. Without making a concentrated effort to stay off it I ride the release. I put my shorter P2000 slide release in there and problem was solved. So I ordered the shorter release from HK. 24 bucks problem solved. Eventually when they are back in stock I will probably put the shorter levers on the opposite side as well. I’m a righty though so it’s not critical to me.

The night sights are about perfect. Tritium plus a bright yellow outer ring for daylight. Very good sights. I believe they are Tru Glo.

I wouldn’t do the next item if it was a DA/SA but mine is LEM. Flat trigger. It brings the break of the wall at the 90 degree point and not quite so far back as the stock trigger. In conjunction with that I bought the Grayguns short reset kit.

I haven’t installed the last 2 items but I think I will like them. Time will tell.

This gun with all its panels just really nestles perfectly into my hand. On many guns I can easily induce a bit of movement when dry firing if my technique isn’t spot on. This gun is hard to get any movement upon trigger fall because it’s anchored so well in my hand.

It’s full blown love at this point. (I bought a spare, same gun, more mags, etc)

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this your first LEM ? If so was it difficult to get the hang of it ? Reason I ask is I had a P2000 in a light LEM trigger that eventually sold, could not get used to that trigger but probably didn't give it time.

Posts: 928 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I tried to find one for months last year and couldn't find one so I "settled" for a Walther PDP Compact. I am very pleased with my Walther.

Posts: 6615 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The long control levers of HKs was the deciding factor when I was deciding whether to go with Sig or HK. I'm told the long controls facilitate someone wearing tactical gloves, a situation I didn't see happening with me all that often.

I could have simply switched out for shorter controls as you did, but going with Sig I didn't have to do anything at all.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16298 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P30 is a world class pistol at that price point. I only have a little less than 2K rounds through mine but they are pretty damn accurate and fit my hand very well. I have 15k rounds through three HKs and have never seen a single malfunction from any of them. Do a search for Todd Green's torture test on how tough the P30 is, RIP Todd.

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: December 11, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not my first LEM. Don’t really like it in my USPc 40. Never warmed up to it. Actually dislike it is more correct. Then I ended up with a P2000 LEM. I played with all the springs and ended up with a Todd Green Special. Love that gun and LEM in it. I have a LEM USP Combat Match something or other. Not a fan so much. Then this P30 which I love. I think I just don’t really like the ergo of the USP/USPc lineup.

The long controls aren’t my thing. I’ve never been a fan of Sig P series controls either though. The decocker isn’t located as well as CZ’s and the slide release is right where my thumbs want to be. I love that I can change them on this HK. This platform works really well with LEM.

To answer the age old question of will you love LEM. Maybe. For me it’s a platform thing. I don’t like it in USP format. P2000 and P30 I really really like it. Enough that it will become my go to in this size gun. LEM will take some getting used to for most. It’s easy to shoot well in the right gun though.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about trying a P30 in this configuration with the Gray Guns kit as well. Please keep us updated on your thoughts, likes and dislikes of this platform as you shoot it. I have a HK45 in lite LEM and love it!

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
P30 LEM Lite is my night stand gun backed up with a
686 Revolver.

I like the P30 a lot, I love the ability to change panels to best fit my hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: got2hav1,

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2746 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of weeks ago my gunsmith installed a Grayguns flat steel trigger in my P30S and it is AWESOME! Not even comparable to the curved stock HK trigger, which is terrible. The curvature dug into my finger and it got to a point where I wouldn't even shoot it till the replacement arrived. Initially, I wasn't sure if I'd like the flat profile but it's proven itself and won me over.

Now, I'm praying for Grayguns to make a similar one for the USP Compact. In the meantime, Lazy Wolf Guns (aka LWG) has one in the works so that's something to look forward to at least and hopefully it will make its debut sooner than later.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If I had to go down to one single pistol this would be it, although mine is a Robert Burke DA/SA. The 17rd factory HK magazines really made this thing different at this size.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12603 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, hurricane passed, cleanup mostly done, irrigation line fixes can wait because my HKParts order arrived today.

Flat steel trigger and short reset kit. The trigger install was stupid simple. The short reset wasn’t too bad but if Grayguns is listening the install video could be improved by slowing down and showing proper orientation of the fire control parts. I had to slow it down frame by frame in some spots to install them correctly. I’m thankful for the video but it could be better with a bit more detail.

The short reset works exactly as you would think. The reset is way shorter no doubt. Not everyone thinks that’s a good thing but I do so I like it.

What is the high point though is this steel flat trigger. My gun is a LEM. I don’t know if I would like it with the DA/SA variant but on the LEM it is now a nonnegotiable item for me. The trigger now breaks exactly at 90 degrees and further forward which is a great thing.

If I could only afford one of these items it’s the flat trigger. Outfuckingstanding.

So now this P30 is pretty much done. The stock night sights are great so I won’t change those. It comes with the bigger paddle release so good there as well. I put the shorter left side slide release so I have no riding the controls issue anymore. I left the right side alone because they are out of stock everywhere. Eventually I will probably swap that side too but as a righty it isn’t critical to me. The flat trigger and short reset make this gun a show stopper to me. I think I have found my perfect gun.

Why HK leaves those plastic flexy triggers in I have no idea. Other than they hate us of course. This thing is a winner though.

Edited: I forgot to mention their internal overtravel limiting feature. It works. This thing has zero overtravel. It is very nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
On the topic of “getting used to the LEM trigger”. It’s about dry fire and how you use the trigger when shooting. No matter the platform, you have two trigger pulls on the draw, no matter the platform.

The first is what you do with the trigger as you are drawing the gun out in a continuity of fire situation. If you are a “sights on target at full extension and then you start the trigger pull” type person, the LEM or DA/SA is harder. If you begin the trigger pull as the sights are traveling to the target, the LEM shines.

From there, you can reset the trigger as you would normally. (preferably for me while under recoil).

The striker fired pistols are easier to engage the trigger after the gun is at full extension.

Neither are bad techniques, but it depends on your level of training, and what your end goal is in shooting.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37116 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught (by FAMS, easy clue) to shoot LEM using what you term prepping the trigger as you press out to target. I’d never heard of that technique before then but I agree it is a superior technique.

I always disliked the USPc LEM but that was more a function of the to my hand horrible ergos of the USP line. They always feel like a 2x4 in my hand. The P30 and P2000 fit me great.

LEM is a great system in the right gun. For me that means P2000 or P30. The P30 is the better of the two now that I’ve had a chance with both. I think I will start shedding my USP’s I like this P30 so much.

posted Hide Post
I put the Grey Guns trigger kit in my P30 as well. I’d not call it a game changer but it noticeably improved the trigger; lighter, less creep and shorter reset. My smith smoothed it out too, I’m sure that helped.

I didn’t change it to the LEM, I like the DA/SA trigger, especially in a carry gun.

This is one of those pistols that performs at the range much better than the dry fire would indicate. If I had to own one pistol for all purposes, this would likely be the one.

Posts: 36 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a P30L on and off for about a year now. This thread isn't helping. Big Grin

Posts: 17097 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ I’d say get one as the prices on them are pretty dang good. I found mine for about 7 bills (which was half the price of my Expert) and it shoots awesome! Just took it out the other day and it was dead on and I had no issues as some have spoken about with break in. John Wick couldn’t be wrong, right?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I've been wanting a P30L on and off for about a year now. This thread isn't helping. Big Grin

I have a boatload of rounds through several classic P series Sigs. When I first got my P30LS I was a bit underwhelmed but after 500-600 rounds the accuracy just kept getting better and better. Damn good pistol that fits my hand as well as any of the others.

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: December 11, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was good enough I immediately bought a spare. Also bought a spare flat trigger and short reset kit and short slide release. It is a keeper.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get one, you won’t be disappointed.

I have a P30L and a P30SK, those just made me want a (and eventually get) an HK45.

Like them so much better than the VP9 I had.

Prices are pretty good right now considering everything else and availability seems to be up as well.

I swore I won[t buy another gun while I am in WA, but I am kinda jonesing for a P30S just because…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10922 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then I probably won't be doing you any favors either. Finally bought one myself, a V1 P30L, before the WA mag limits went into effect. Much nicer operationally than my 4" V3; try as I have I've never been able to "click" with the V3's long travel and reset. Meanwhile I've shot various P30 V1s over the years and I found that I definitely can adapt to it. Aside from the annoying John Wick comments from coworkers and buddies, so far it's been a pretty good pistol. It did need the infamous break-in period with heavier grain ammo; roughly 200 rounds of 124gr 9mm "NATO" (the Winchester stuff) got this one to tolerate 115gr, at least so far.

-MG

Posts: 1961 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post