SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 9mm barrel in P220 .38Super?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 9mm barrel in P220 .38Super? Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone have ever used a P226 9mm barrel in their .38Super P220?

I pieced some insights together and found that they seem to be the same external dimensions.

The P220 has a .38Super locking block, and it seems that the P226 barrel lines up decently in it for feeding.

I did a cautious hand cycle after dropping my 9mm P226 barrel into the P220 .38Super slide, and then putting slide back on frame: cycled by hand the same as with .38Super barrel.

I don't have 9mm P220 magazines to try with snap caps for smoothness/ejection, which would be next step.

Since I won't be able to do that for a few days, I thought I'd ask the collective what their thoughts are about this.

The hood width is so close to the same that it looks like no issue- although I need to measure with my reading glasses on to ensure the left/right width of hood in the slide matches properly.

The rest seems on target.

Any thoughts?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a 9mm P220 that I used a 38 Super barrel in. Worked fine switching between them. Like putting a 357 Sig Barrel in a 40 P226. The mags are different though. At the time, I was able to score some factory P220 38 Super Mags direct from Sig, I had an LE account and got a great deal on them.

You will be good to go and its an awesome P220 set-up.

I ended up selling that combo to a forum member about 16 years ago. That sure was a great shooter.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Sometime back I purchased a NIB triple serial P220 in 9mm with the American style mag release. It came with one 9mm mag and I was never able to source any additional ones. I did find American style 38 Super mags which worked fine with 9mm rounds.

A member here (QBTwo IIRC) sold me his P220 38 Super parts, so I converted mine to 38 Super. My thought was since I had 38 Super mags I might as well run 38 Super rounds in it.

Since I was going from 9mm to 38 Super I needed to change to the 38 Super ejector. The 9mm one would not eject 38 Super rounds, but the 38 Super version works with both. I can change calibers with just a barrel swap.

I compared my 9mm P220 barrel to that of my 9mm P226 and can't see any difference.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks All!

Now, to find a P226 9mm barrel at the right price. I've got my eyes on a couple on fleabay, but have to be careful about spending too much, or the wife will NOT be happy.

Good to know that the .38Super mags worked with 9mm.

BTW- I have done this 9mm in a .38Super with my RIA 1911 as well- and it is working just fine. That is what gave me the idea to see about this.

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have 9mm P220 magazines to try with snap caps for smoothness/ejection, which would be next step.

That won't work. Can't do the Super from 9mm mags, but can do 9mm from Super mags. Good luck in your quest!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:

That won't work. Can't do the Super from 9mm mags, but can do 9mm from Super mags. Good luck in your quest!

Stiab, I am not quite sure how you got that. I thought I was saying that I was going to try it with 9mm snap caps when I got a 9mm P220 magazine.

It never crossed my mind to put .38Super rounds/snap caps in a 9mm magazine.

I have the .38/9mm set up on two 1911s. One actually is 3 calibers: .45, .38Super, 9mm. Yes, that one has two different top ends and three barrels.

What I had tried was racking slide with 9mm barrel in and everything 'glided' as it should. I didn't try 9mm snap caps in the .38Super magazine, but will try to find a 9mm mag to experiment with.