SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dan Wesson Discontinues Valor 1911s
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson Discontinues Valor 1911s Login/Join 
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Kaschi, The ejector in my PM9 will allow loaded 38 Super cartridges with an OAL of 1.275" to clear the front edge of the ejection port. But, it would appear to me that if the ejector, or loaded 38S rounds, were a few thousandths longer, there might be interference with the front edge of the ejection port. In that case, the ejector would have to be trimmed back a few thousandths. Easily done, but something that might be necessary in converting a 9mm DW to 38S if the ejector in the DW you're considering is as long or longer than the factory ejector in my PM9......

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the details in your last post rock185. Thank you for checking out the ejector in your pistol. Seems like it probably won't be an issue with factory loads---which is what I'll be shooting---so now I better pick up a 9mm Valor! The $$$ which was allocated for an HK P30SK just got diverted to the Dan Wesson. Smile

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Meh. Semi-custom. Depends if you get the semi half or the custom half.

I’ve got a couple. Semi-custom my rear end. My government model won’t shoot straight. Literally. It wont shoot straight. I assume it’s barrel lugs being misfit or the slide itself is out if spec it’s not the bushing. Ive tried a few. Currently got an Ed brown in there. So, now it’s sits in the safe and watches the other pistols go out for a spin. Now, DW uses some fine sourced parts no doubt but they can still build them Wonky. If someone would have semi tested mine before it left the production line then it could have been either sorted or scrapped. So no....

Les Baer is semi custom

Ed brown is semi custom

Nighthawk is semi custom

Dan Wesson is high production and one of mine sucks.

So, yes, sales have slowed and they are relaunching their “semi custom” product line.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Good to hear it really is that simple with the barrel swap. I never gave the recoil spring a thought however. Now, as far as barrels go, is it simply a "drop in" proposition or will one have to be fitted? It seems that Barsto gets a lot of positive mentioning so that's probably a good place to get one. If there are any other worthwhile sources, feel free to chime in!

I spoke with one of the CZ/DW techs at an NRA show a few years ago about converting my 9mm Guardian to .38 Super. But, I ended up buying a new DW PM 38, which is stainless steel and full-size, and that filled that need for me for .38 Super in the 1911 platform.

However, aside from the barrel, mag, and recoil spring, you will also want to use .38 Super-Comp brass, such as Starline offers, due to the smaller breech face on the 9mm pistol. The .38 Super-Comp brass has the same head diameter as standard 9mm, vs. standard .38 Super, and can use the same shell case holder/shell plate as a 9mm, IIRC.

Just my 2 cents work.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post