SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dan Wesson Discontinues Valor 1911s
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson Discontinues Valor 1911s Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
For some reason, Dan Wesson has decided to discontinue their Valor line of 1911s. https://danwessonfirearms.com/...tegory/discontinued/

Seems like an odd choice for what were ostensibly their premium "flagship" line. (Unless they plan to release a new "flagship" at SHOT.)

Now I'm even happier that I picked up a Valor Commander last year.

If you want a Valor, there are still some available from some retailers, for the time being. But it looks like those are the last ones.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's their best pistol. Some designs like the Heritage and Pointman don't ever seem to die, but they're dropping the top model...must be a lack of sales.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
must be a lack of sales.

That was one of my thoughts. Maybe a lack of sales, combined with them already being somewhat underpriced for the amount of hand-fitting and other work that goes into them, meant they weren't financially viable any more?

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I am glad I got my blued Valor when I did.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good thing about it is, it really doesn't matter. 1911 aftermarket support will never die.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
1911 aftermarket support will never die.

Yup. 1911s, Glocks, and ARs support will be forever.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Good thing about it is, it really doesn't matter.

Not to current Valor owners, but to future 1911 buyers it does.

The Dan Wesson Valors are the best value in semi-custom 1911s on the market, IMO.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Dan Wesson Valors were the best value in semi-custom 1911s on the market, IMO.

+1 There is little to no discernible difference between the Dan Wesson Valor and a basic Ed Brown Custom. I went with Ed Brown simply because I wanted old school Bo-Mar style adjustable sights and a plain front strap.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
damn, I sold one a couple years ago figuring I could always grab another and really wanted the commander version more.

Guess I will be buying one very soon...if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
One thing you can do with Dan Wesson is do a custom build. I had one priced out and it was pretty reasonable. That way you can mix and match features from their line and even add some extra touches and get exactly what you want.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
A couple of my favorite 1911s, Valor .45 & 9mm. Glad I've got them before they're discontinued.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Whoa....glad I got mine when I did! Now I'm sorta tempted to get another!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
That is a bit of a surprise to me (someone who has owned a cool dozen DW's over the years). I trust they will continue rolling out high quality production 1911's and likely will continue to wrest more $ from me.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
must be a lack of sales.

Don't think lack of sales is the reason. More than likely DW is replacing Valor with a new flagship line. A quote from DW president's letter in the 2019 catalog: "DW will be debuting a very special handgun line sometime in 2019."

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Valor has been admired often and shot very little, still I am happy to have it. Just hope that the new premium DW is not a knock off of the Legion marketing campaign.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2016 CZ-USA NY sold 9787 pistols.

ATF has not yet published 2017 numbers.

To be universally so highly regarded on the forums the sales numbers are not that high.

Will a new line go higher end or will DW attempt to go mass market?

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/data-statistics

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
Will a new line go higher end or will DW attempt to go mass market?

Dan Wesson discontinued a couple of their other higher-end pistol lines in the last year or two, like the Valkyrie, in favor of introducing less expensive lines like the A2 and Vigil.

Quality hasn't suffered so far, but it's at least one indication that they might be chasing a lower price point, trying to corner the ~$1000 1911 market instead of the ~$1500 1911 market.

posted Hide Post
In stock at time of this post: (on Bud's website, just type "Valor" in their search box to see in-stock versions)

https://grabagun.com/cz-dw-val...5acp-blk-ss-8-1.html

https://grabagun.com/cz-01864-...esson-valor-9mm.html

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...t/719018139/redirect

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
I have a V-Bob in 45....wish I had one in 9

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a trend. STI killed their entire 1911 lineup a couple years back.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post