SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry Guns with some History
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry Guns with some History Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I know we love the new toys and most recent releases. I was really wondering, do any of you carry an edc with some history / a story behind it? Hopi g for a little inspiration….

Post your photos and tell us the story…. We’ll pull up a stump by the fire and enjoy some history…

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like any gun with a history connected to it, and of course that includes carry guns.
While I no longer have it, my dad’s long time carry gun was a steel J frame model 36 from the late 60’s. He was a meat salesman, servicing all the old time mom and pop independent grocery stores and restaurants some in some pretty rough sections of town. And his customers often paid in cash, so the carry gun was pretty comforting to him.
One of his regular customers was a local police departments range master ( who’s family had a restaurant) and he would often visit him at police headquarters to get the order, and while there the range master would often do some drills with him and provide a generous supply of 38 wadcutters to use. He often remarked he wished even a fraction of the cops he dealt with showed some of the skill and enthusiasm my dear old dad did when he visited the range.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
In 1991 I was in the Police Academy, and I went in to a local cop shop to buy something to carry off duty for my impending graduation.

The main guns people were buying were either small .380's (Walther PPK/S, Sig P230, Browning BDA) or a J-Frame. I was still pretty new to gund, and the guy behind the counter gave me some advice I carry to this day...he said, "you want to have enough gun to get you out of trouble, but not so much gun that you get yourself into trouble..." He knew too may rookies who went all stupid and interjected themselves when they shouldn't because they carried a full size gun off-duty and thought they were Martin Riggs... I paid my $$ and bought a new S&W v640 in .38 Sp.

That gun went with me everywhere...until a few years later I upgraded to the .357 Mag version of the same gun, which I still have. It was the gun I had on my ankle when I jumped onto a sinking boat at our police dock to close hatches and try to stop it (not my smartest choice...), and the gun I held onto when I was off-duty and was there when a drunk driver plowed into the lost, taking a woman's leg off...I had to creatively put the guy in custody while a crowd was gathering and wanted to deal with him themselves...). It was also the backup that rode with he everywhere on duty.

She's gotten new sights now, and better grips...but she's a keeper.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d picked up a little Nazi Police PPK (7.65) at the gun show. I was working plainclothes at the time and, left the office to run out to the range to fire a few rounds.

Tossed my big gun and mags in the trunk and shot 30 or so rounds out of the Walther. Loaded it, stuck it in my belt and headed back to the station.

On the way back, a few blocks away, an Officer got in a foot chase. I did some quick calculations, figured where he’d likely pop out and waited a sec. Realizing my duty gun was in the trunk, drew the PPK and, he popped out.

I ordered him down, he did, a few seconds later a gassed Officer popped out, we cuffed him.

I then thought about the optics of a white, German speaking Texas cop shooting a black male with a Nazi pistol.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Bought an S&W model 19 from and LEO who was transitioning to semi-auto. Gun looked great, basket-weave holster quite worn. Looked into the barrel to check the condition and there was a cobweb in it. So, history of the gun was: Not fired much, not cleaned much.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first issued gun was a Gen 2 Glock 19 that my small PD obtained from Phoenix PD's property room. They would sell off seized guns to small departments. I carried it on and off duty for about two and a half years. When the PD decided that it didn't want to issue guns anymore (all personally supplied), I bought it. I've always wondered what its story was.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This is the best I can do but I never carried it.

My father had this either under the seat of his vehicle or on his person all the time I knew him.
This was strapped to his chest back in Nov/Dec of 1950 while him and his marine buddies dealt with some Chinese..... he was one of the Chosin Few or as some call them the Frozen Chosin....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish there was a like button for Blume’s story

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

My custom Colt Commander. It got me through one very tough spot...the four bad guys decided they wanted to be elsewhere. I still carry it with confidence.

Wes

Posts: 2426 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My first edc (lc9). I think I took it apart 20-25 times trying to fit an improved trigger bar from Galloway Precision. Definitely helped but when the Lc9s was released, it was eventually retired. Technically a modular design but many more steps.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Best I can do is this one... my first Sig a P230 which I carried for years... never even came close to needing to use it but one weekend I was working the race committee for our Sail club and staying on my boat and could not sleep and decided to clean the pistol and for some demented reason took the trigger group apart... took me a few days later over 8 hours to figure out how to get that back together...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP100 four inch s.s.

I was living in west Phoenix
(53rd. ave and Mcdowell)

I felt the need to carry as I had no car.

Turners advertised a GP for $429.00.
I called and they were sold out,
The next day I took the newspaper ad to the Wal Mart out at 53rd Ave.

They matched the ad price, and I payed for it.
But I had to go back the next day for the ammo.

Life was great, three days later ,I went back for ammo.
The fella that sold me the gun was there.

After selling me the ammo he showed me the new ad from turners.
The original ad was for the blued gun , not the stainless.

I was shocked, I didn't know what to say.
I saved $50.00 !

He said "you got a great deal"
Feeling guilty ,I purchased an additional box of ammo.

It's still my favorite shooter,
And the one I shoot best.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post