SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver for hot humid wet climate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver for hot humid wet climate Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Going to be spending time both urban and rural in Florida and Georgia. Thinking about a stainless steel 38 sp. Wonder is a Ruger SP 101 in 327 Magnum a better idea. Currently do not have either 38 sp. or 327 Magnum so a new ammo to purchase. Any thoughts on pro / con between the two rounds?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
327 Fed Magnum is a great round, but has pretty stout recoil. The benefit is that it can shoot also shoot 32 H&R Magnum which is an effective, but much more controllable round. The benefit is you get one extra round. The detriment is that ammo is typically harder to source. You really have to reload your own if you are going to go down the 32 H&R / 327 Fed Mag road. It's also typically harder to find a 327 Magnum SP101 or GP100. They aren't as readily available.

38 Special / 357 Magnum is pretty ubiquitous.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCR?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Ruger, Dan Wesson and Smith M60. I live here in Fl adnthese work.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there are still a bunch of cop surplus SP101s in .38 Special with 3" barrels over on ChodeChoker.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My gun for that is my 3 inch Wiley Clapp GP100. Obviously a bit bigger than an SP but I put compact grips on mine vice the longer standard GP grips and it is carryable.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Down here 327 is much more available that 357 or 38 special. I'd base my decision on ammo availability. I have a number of revolvers in both calibers and the SP101 is my favorite. The 327 will fire just about anything in 32 caliber, including 32 ACP, which is semi-rimmed and no moon clip is needed.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Ruger GP-100 or SP-101. Not only are they constructed of stainless, they can be disassembled easily, making cleaning easier, and allowing the shooter to replace springs with no difficulty.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned an SP101 3" .357 Mag for a number of years. Have shot it a lot. Use .357 125 gr Federal JHP for carry. Great little gun...shoots like a larger gun.

A few points:
1) Get the 3" rather than a 2". Even in S&W J-frames, they shoot better for me.
2) The gun handles .357 mag loads better than a J-frame. Probably the bore-axis thing.
3) Mine is Magna-Ported. Even before that was done, it handled .357's very well.

Unless you're extremely recoil sensitive, I can't imagine the 327 Magnum in the 3" gun being a problem. I'd get the .357 Mag rather than the .38 Spl. If recoil is a problem, just use .38's. If you can get a deal from ChodeChoker on a .38, I'd go that route.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I recommend a Ruger GP-100 stainless with a 4 inch barrel.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a Ruger SP101 I. 9mm?
Bought one for our daughter. She likes it a lot.

Posts: 403 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 3" sp101 in .357 and it's excellent. IMO it's the perfect .357 mag carry gun. Light enough for comfortable belt carry, and heavy enough to shoot magnum rounds without pain. Like Para said, it is easy to disassemble for cleaning and service as well.

However, if you're specifically looking for a .38, the SP101 is more gun (and weight) than you need. I have a S&W 360J in .38+p that just disappears in my pocket. It's scandium with a steel cylinder, so very comfortable to shoot .38s out of, and it's pretty much rustproof.

It really depends on your intended use. When I'm carrying full-house .357, I like a little more weight and size to hold on to. But when concealability or comfort is prioritized over firepower, the little J-frame is just right. Ultimately, I'd say you need both. It's good to have options!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Ruger LCR?

Was going to post that. I've been enjoying carrying my .38 LCR very much lately. Easy to shoot, ammo neither rare nor terribly expensive (usually...).

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've been totally happy with several different modern S&W revolvers. They've done just fine here in Brevard County, the corrosion capitol capital Smile
of the continental USA.

The 340PD is frequently carried in a horsehide High Noon Tail Gunner, and has been subjected not only to the humidity and sweat, but accompanied me into the Indian River during a boat docking mishap.

A good clean and lube and it was just fine. Um, the CrimsonTraceT LaserGrip did corrode and fail about two weeks later, in spite of my cleanup but the CT folks replaced it without charge. Good folks there. The High Noon holster is still doing well aslo.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I really like the SP101, and I have a 3” in .327 Fed Mag and really like it. But if I was only going to own one revolver it would be in .357 magnum. You just have more choices and ammo availability. You can buy .327 online (normally) but even during the best of times it’s not always available in local stores.

Ruger revolvers are my favorite revolvers and I own several, but I just bought a Kimber K6s and have to say it’s a phenomenal gun. If I was going to carry a revolver the K6s is at the top of my list for sure.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Have an Airtight S&W 642 in .38 and a steel 640 in .357 mag. I've tried the .340 in full magnum 125gr. loads and it is not for me. The 640 for me is controllable with full magnum rounds.

I guess the question is what are you seeing as more of the intended use. If it's woods packing, I'd go with an all steel .357 to have the option of using heavier loads. If it's more urban carry I'd be more tempted by a lightweight .38 for pocket carry.

Other options might be something like my 3" Ruger GP100 in 10mm. It comes with the compact grips so it is concealable. I've also been looking at the Kimber revolvers lately and they seem to be well built and finished, what Smith & Wesson used to be.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Strange post. What do you normally carry? Carry that.

You don't need some special gun to carry in Florida or Georgia.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna have to go with the Ruger GP 100. Although we aren’t quite as bad as Fla., Tennessee is pretty sticky at times also. I have a GP that has been in the rain for days and the darn thing will never be sold. I’ll bet 12-15 hunting trips. I’m ALL about my GP!! It’ll stand up to my HOTTEST reloads and ALWAYS work!! SMACKDOWN on Hogs too!!!!!!!! https://imgur.com/gallery/dJUN2rZ

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is chodechoker? Thanks, Tom

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Strange post ... well I do have a strange side. Reason for a new handgun is I do not have a stainless steel handgun. In past life spent time both recreational and working on salt water. Am a tad compulsive about cleaning guns but have experienced minor damage when guns get wet and can't be cleaned for a day or more in the boondocks. Hence the consideration of a stainless steel handgun. Still vacilating between a Ruger and a S&W. Thanks for all the comments.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post