SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best small pistol light?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best small pistol light? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
What’s the best small light for my edc pistol (hk p2000)? I want as small as possible but reliable. Would really like easy grip type activation.
XC1?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have an XC1 B and really like it. The Viridian is pretty short too and works well on my father's P30SK. Biggest consideration is sometimes holster availability. Guess it depends on what you prioritize, size, brightness, materials, batteries, holster available, etc. Hard to beat a AAA battery for availability but there are brighter, bigger lights.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Streamlight TLR7 is a PERFECT fit on the P2000 and a great light. I don’t know of any of the small lights that offer a grip activation.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Leading contenders seems to be the XC-1 and the TLR-7.

I have the XC1 - small, compact and decent lumens. Mine rides on my 320C currently - no issues or problems.

However, the TLR-7 is on my short list. Over half price, 500 lumens, and getting rave reviews.

I think there was a thread recently discussing the XC-1 with lots of TLR-7 content in it too.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
My streamlight TLR-7 is just perfect on my G19 gen 5. I had Black Rhino make me and holster and I love the set up for plainclothes days!

The light is just the right size and brightness for me.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O-Light PL Mini. Got one for Xmas and it's great. Tiny and easy to reach and O-Light's magnetic recharging system is top notch.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Personally I love the APLC. I’ve been carrying mine now for over a year and have no complaints.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have used the following

Viridian X5L and C5L on P30, HK45C, and P2000SK. Always worked well and whenever they acted up, they just needed a new battery. The ability to auto-activate the light on the draw is neat and was ahead of it's time. (you holster with the light on, it has a magnet that turns it off, and on the draw it turns it on - several holster makers off the option).

XC-1A/B - I have several and only used them on Glocks (G19/23/45). Definitely small, sleek and AAA battery /rechargeables makes them easy & cheap to feed. I like the controls, as they are similar to those on Surefire X300s that I have. Fits very tight to the frame and trigger guard which I like.

TLR6 on Glock 42/43s - very small like, runs on two 1/3N batteries (same as Aimpoint Pro). Not many lumens but it's better than no light at all on those small pistols.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the choice has a lot of variables to me.

I have taken night shooting courses and have competed numerous times in the dark. So, my experience has been limited to those things with pistol lights.

I found that too many Lumens gave me no follow up shot even if I tried to move. The smoke and dust from the ground as well as eye shock would just overwhelm my eyes.

If something has too many Lumens, the usual accompanying hot spot would just create a blanket of light right in front of me such that it was hard to see past that reflecting blanket.

I found that holding a flashlight a bit off angle with my support hand gave me better sight faster.

I also found that lower Lumen lights would let me see through the cloud more quickly.

In choosing lights for home SD, I bought scads of small lights that I could integrate into my support hand grip. That way, I could pull them off angle if need be.

I decided that due to walls, furniture and other house structures that being able to move away from the cloud would not always be feasible.

So, I have only used one rail light and it is the XC1. I have stuck with the 200 Lumen version even though I like the features of the XC1-B.

After trying things in competition and classes for close quarters, I found the lower Lumens worked better for me.

Maybe it's my eyes or glasses, too.

Indoors, I thought my ears were already going to get messed up and to lose my eyes too seemed just too much to lose.

Maybe to determine the best for you requires considering more, making an ultra bright light or something in-between more appropriate to your needs.

If I had it to do again, the 300 Lumens with the better revised activation features of the XC1-B might be better. But I've grown accustomed to the "A" version.

I'm afraid that in the heat of a moment I would brush the new activation switch and instead of having my head in a fight I would switch to thinking about how much I need to press to get the desired light result. Too much potential finger and other confusion for me.

I'm in the camp of preferring simple off-pistol lights.

BTW, this is not to denigrate mounted lights but to give my answer process when I was considering the same thing.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what are your light brightness requirements ?

300 lumens is working for me , fine just fine

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
TLR-7 has been pretty amazing for me

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My G19 and TLR-7 is a great combo for me.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Whatcha using?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I've been using the TLR-7.

So far so good. I'm still getting used to the switch, as I had lots of time with a TLR-1 and X300 before this.

The problem, as with all WML lights, is getting a good concealment holster. I like kydex holsters with a good sharp snap in/out, and it should require a very hard pull to snap it out, as I don't want that gun falling out during a fight (or when backflipping in Denver bars). That is easy to get when not using a light, but so far impossible to find with a WML.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Whatcha using?

well , mine is actually a hip light by Leatherman ,

after re reading the o.p. , I am thinking that he wants a w.m.l. , so,
my post does not apply.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I had this same issue but for me, Black Rhino fixed it. Mine snaps in and out. Well worth the money.

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I've been using the TLR-7.

So far so good. I'm still getting used to the switch, as I had lots of time with a TLR-1 and X300 before this.

The problem, as with all WML lights, is getting a good concealment holster. I like kydex holsters with a good sharp snap in/out, and it should require a very hard pull to snap it out, as I don't want that gun falling out during a fight (or when backflipping in Denver bars). That is easy to get when not using a light, but so far impossible to find with a WML.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I will give them a call. I'm leery about spending another $80 on a holster, when the warranty doesn't apply, since the holsters with a light are considered "custom."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I would hope that I didn’t just get lucky. I’d say when you call you could ask to have it extra tight. Several of our detectives carry these, too.

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I will give them a call. I'm leery about spending another $80 on a holster, when the warranty doesn't apply, since the holsters with a light are considered "custom."