SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 1911, oil, grease or slide glide?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 1911, oil, grease or slide glide? Login/Join 
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I was a grease guy until I started shooting a lot. Oil holds less gunk. I run em wet and clean every couple K rounds.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to a top gun shooting school for a week long class.

The 3 instructors I had all oiled their guns. Only one was a 1911 guy.
The head instructor told us that he used Mobil 1 motor oil, as well as most of the police depts he trains and the one he works for.

Never tried the Mobil 1 but used Slick 2000 extreme. WE put 600-650 rds downrange with no malfunctions on my and my sons Sig 1911s.

I always have used oil and going to Slick 2000 extreme made it much smoother.

Whatever works for you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Sig 1911 RCS model and have used US Military Weapons Medium Grease on it since it was new. I use the gun a lot, it's my primary .45 CCW, but seldom shoot it more than 50 rounds at a single range session. I clean it after shooting and re-grease per Gray Guns suggestions. With over 2000 rounds fired, there is no discernible wear. HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am using Shooters Choice grease on my 1911’s. If I didn’t have that I would be ok with CLP/Breakfree.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the summer, I will use slide glide, or grease, but come wintertime, here in Wisconsin, I've found that with slide glide, or grease, I will have a single shot pistol, unless carried inside the waistband.
If the temperature is going to be below 40 degrees, it's either Mobile 1, or FP 10.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RH45:
In the summer, I will use slide glide, or grease, but come wintertime, here in Wisconsin, I've found that with slide glide, or grease, I will have a single shot pistol, unless carried inside the waistband.
If the temperature is going to be below 40 degrees, it's either Mobile 1, or FP 10.

This is the way I use grease also...but now I'm tempted to try Slip 2000 EWG.

From the site: Excellent for use on all semi-auto and full auto locking lugs, sears, bolts and slides/rails. Smooth clean operation in the extreme cold -100°F and will hold up under the extreme heat +750°F as well.

Edit to add - I say tempted because I have nearly a lifetime of grease on hand. I know Breakfree CLP works in REALLY FREAKING COLD temps but I've only hunted in such extremes, not shooting a bunch.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use Slip EWL 30 on the rails of my CZ Shadow 2 and have shot it down into the low 20’s. The light coat of EWG slowed it way down, almost to failure at the same temp.

I’m using the EWL 30 on my Sig 1911 as well but have not shot it very much.

Pretty much everything now gets the EWL 30 except the .22 LR guns get the regular Slip 2000 oil and works well at the same temps.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post