SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 + Techna Clip =
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 + Techna Clip = Login/Join 
posted
PROUD NEW SIG OWNER. I was searching for a minimalist carry solution for my new P365 SAS and a friend suggested I check out Techna Clip. I couldn't find much in the way of info on the combo. I was intrigued, so I took a chance and ordered one. Got it installed and fell in love with the simplicity and effectiveness in my summer uniform (snug-fit T + cargo shorts).

The "problem" is that I am now hooked on naked carry with a gun without a safety. I wasn't that concerned about it until people started asking me how I felt about it. I've seen the little molded Kydex trigger guard dongles but I'm reluctant to complicate my setup.

Hoping you all can offer some input on this topic. Would really like to avoid adding a full holster to my solution if I can.

Posts: 9 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: September 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

I personally would never carry (or recommend carrying) a handgun without the trigger guard being covered. It's simply not worth the serious risk.

A mounted clip makes it a little more secure than plain old shove-it-in-your-waistband "Mexican carry", as in it's a bit less likely to simply fall off/out, but it doesn't make it any more safe.

At a bare minimum, invest in one of the kydex trigger guards. They usually come with a paracord loop that's hooked to your belt loop or belt so that it can be pulled off during the draw. It's still not ideal compared to a "real" holster, but it's safer than a totally uncovered trigger guard.

Technaclip themselves state on their website: "It is recommended that a trigger guard or trigger block be used with this product" and "Do not use this product with any firearm in a cocked and locked condition, or with a live round chambered.

So even the makers don't think it's safe, whether you have a manual safety or not. Roll Eyes

Posts: 32542 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evidently I missed their warning lol Frown

I suspected I'd get some strong advice in this direction, which I will take before I get flamed beyond recovery by someone less kind-hearted lol

I'll get a pull-away trigger guard to use until I find a full IWB setup I can live with.

Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: September 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Technaclip themselves state on their website: "It is recommended that a trigger guard or trigger block be used with this product" and "Do not use this product with any firearm in a cocked and locked condition, or with a live round chambered.

So even the makers don't think it's safe, whether you have a manual safety or not. Roll Eyes

It's worth mentioning that their lawyers probably made them write this. Trigger cover or no, striker-fired guns without drop-safety aka trigger dongle are just as prone to accidental discharge if fumbled out of a real holster as they are out of a waistband clip, no?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcavotta:
It's worth mentioning that their lawyers probably made them write this.

Probably so. But still doesn't diminish that it's simply not a safe practice.

quote:
Trigger cover or no, striker-fired guns without drop-safety aka trigger dongle are just as prone to accidental discharge if fumbled out of a real holster as they are out of a waistband clip, no?

No. The P365 has an internal drop safety in the slide that blocks the firing pin, which is only disengaged when the trigger is pulled. Dropping it won't make it go off.

Even on guns with "trigger dongles", like Glocks, there's a separate internal drop safety in the slide that blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.

The issue with an uncovered trigger guard isn't drop safety. It's that objects can get into the uncovered trigger guard and manipulate the trigger, causing the gun to discharge. This can be as simple as hooking it on something like an armrest, seat belt, tree branch, etc. at the right angle. Or you inadvertently grabbing the trigger while readjusting the gun or your pants.

A "trigger dongle" reduces, but still doesn't eliminate, that issue compared to a bare trigger, because it requires the object to more precisely manipulate the "dongle" instead of just the trigger as a whole. It's slightly safer, but still not safe, as evidenced by the number of negligent discharges of Glocks caused by objects getting into the trigger guard.

Posts: 32542 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those for a KAHR pistol a few years ago. The pistol got so much more contaminated with lint and dust. Luckily the pistol was stainless as it was usually wet from sweat. I didn't use it for a full week.

Look into REMORA or VEDDER for a light weight holster.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I bought one of those for a KAHR pistol a few years ago. The pistol got so much more contaminated with lint and dust. Luckily the pistol was stainless as it was usually wet from sweat. I didn't use it for a full week.

Thanks!

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Techniclip looks like a knockoff of the original Clipdraw(TM).

If anyone's interested they make stuff for almost all the major brands not just P365.(oh and P365 too)

I've had one on my Glock 32 that I concealed about 15 years (in rotation for most of 2003-2017).

You can all yell at me as I never used a trigger guard but also never had a negligent discharge or anything either.

https://www.clipdraw.com/shop-gun-products/

Posts: 1473 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
Techniclip looks like a knockoff of the original Clipdraw(TM).

If anyone's interested they make stuff for almost all the major brands not just P365.(oh and P365 too)

I've had one on my Glock 32 that I concealed about 15 years (in rotation for most of 2003-2017).

You can all yell at me as I never used a trigger guard but also never had a negligent discharge or anything either.

https://www.clipdraw.com/shop-gun-products/

Thanks for sharing. I think if I can get used to using the kydex trigger cap, I will probably continue this way until something better for me comes along.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
It's worth mentioning that their lawyers probably made them write this.

Probably so. But still doesn't diminish that it's simply not a safe practice.

quote:
Trigger cover or no, striker-fired guns without drop-safety aka trigger dongle are just as prone to accidental discharge if fumbled out of a real holster as they are out of a waistband clip, no?

No. The P365 has an internal drop safety that blocks the firing pin, which is only disengaged when the trigger is pulled. Dropping it won't make it go off.

Even on guns with "trigger dongles", like Glocks, there's a separate internal drop safety that blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.

The issue with an uncovered trigger guard isn't drop safety. It's that objects can get into the uncovered trigger guard and manipulate the trigger, causing the gun to go off. This can be as simple as hooking it on something like an armrest, seat belt, tree branch, etc. at the right angle. Or you inadvertently grabbing the trigger while readjusting the gun or your pants.

No objection to anything said here. Thanks again for the warm welcome!

posted Hide Post
This is what I use for my glock 43/43x

https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-minimalist-iwb/

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
This is what I use for my glock 43/43x

https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-minimalist-iwb/

This looks more robust than the $15 thing I just ordered on Amazon, though from the looks of it the IWB clip wouldn't seat the gun low enough for my tastes. Might be able to use it in conjunction with the TechnaClip though...

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I'll take a pic in a minute, but my AIWB setup for my 365XL has become a favorite for EDC, and my Keeper for my 365 is even more minimalist...while still being a real holster. 10/10 would recommend.

As light and short as the throw is on the 365 trigger, you do NOT want to carry with the trigger guard uncovered. To be frank, I think that's an accident waiting to happen, even with a manual safety.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're carrying without a round chambered... but that's a whole nother discussion.

No way would I carry a chamber firearm without the trigger being protected.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I carry mine in a Versacarry and that's about as minimal as I care to get.

Still small enough to put in my back pocket or jacket pocket.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another plus for the trigger guard sheath: It enables you to drop the magazine and work the slide to clear the gun without inadvertently touching the trigger.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16113 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
PROUD NEW SIG OWNER. I was searching for a minimalist carry solution for my new P365 SAS and a friend suggested I check out Techna Clip. I couldn't find much in the way of info on the combo. I was intrigued, so I took a chance and ordered one. Got it installed and fell in love with the simplicity and effectiveness in my summer uniform (snug-fit T + cargo shorts).

The "problem" is that I am now hooked on naked carry with a gun without a safety. I wasn't that concerned about it until people started asking me how I felt about it. I've seen the little molded Kydex trigger guard dongles but I'm reluctant to complicate my setup.

Hoping you all can offer some input on this topic. Would really like to avoid adding a full holster to my solution if I can.

Don’t be concerned about the trigger guard dongles. They work great. I have a MIC for my Walther PPS and I use a Raven Concealment “holster” for my 365. Both work perfectly.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
There is no way in Hell that I would carry a loaded firearm with or without a safety with that "Clip". The VanGuard is the absolute minimum for me. But I will just use my JM Custom Kydex Wing 2.5 AIWB. My Vedder Light Tuck also works well for AIWB with my Hellcat and P365.

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Fever:
There is no way in Hell that I would carry a loaded firearm with or without a safety with that "Clip". The VanGuard is the absolute minimum for me. But I will just use my JM Custom Kydex Wing 2.5 AIWB. My Vedder Light Tuck also works well for AIWB with my Hellcat and P365.

I’ve got both and they work really well for a looser shirt. Vanguard for the tighter fitting shirts works very well.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post