SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Model 19 carry comp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 19 carry comp Login/Join 
posted
Anyone own this revolver? Looking for real world opinions. Pricy but seems nice.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, what's up? We are talking about the pre-lock models correct? What's not to like....quality parts & build, nicely blued, smooth S&W trigger, ported to boot.

Try and find a revolver built like that today....they just don't make'em like that any more.

Oh, my bad maybe you are talking about the current production w/lock, hmmm...seems ok but hopefully someone who has one can come on board and answer the questions you have about it.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea. The newer one.

I’ve got a magna ported model 66 but it’s a family piece. Thought I might find something more modern.

The lock just does not bother me. I know, I know.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago. 3" barrel, Great shooter with a pretty good PC tuned trigger. The "comp" definitely makes a difference when shooting magnums in my opinion. Traded it off when I decided to thin out the revolver collection. Smith just announced the 2.5" version. Its on their website. I will definitely look to get back into one of these if I see the 2.5" version. Just looks really nicely balanced at 2.5" and I am sure the trigger will be worked over.
Overall, I think its about as nice a revolver as you will see these days coming out of Smith.
P.s. I too could care less about the internal lock. Is what it is.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
2.5" barrel? Hmmm..... I think I need one.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I’ve got one. I really like it. It shoots well and I like the smaller frame size of the model 19. I don’t carry it often, but it’s a great shooter. My LGS has a 586+ L Conp that is begging me to take it hone, but like I said, I really like the K frame.

For a mid-size, modern production revolver that is fun to shoot and easy to carry, the 19 Carry Comp is tough to beat. I like the 3 inch as it gives a little more gas to the .357 than a 2.5 inch. That said, my edc is a bobbed-hammer 360 :-)

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I own one but don't carry it.... one more fine revolver but the trigger on mine in single action is really too light. I had it go off way before I expected it to. I actually learned to shoot in double action with it... smooth and crisp.

I don't care for 125gr 357's ... 158gr is okay but I can shoot 38s all day long in one.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I had one, pre lock of course. Nice sixgun, GREAT trigger, but I didn't care for or need the port. I preferred my 2.5 inch 19-5 for carry. So it got sold. I would not consider the "new" knock off.

I have a pre lock 586-5 L-comp too. It just sits in the safe. Great trigger and 7-shot cylinder, but.......my revolver days are in the past. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
While I do not own a K-Comp or it's most recent variant the Model 19 Carry Comp, I do have several snubby revolvers with the Power Port that I shoot and carry. This is going back to the year 2000 when I got my L-Comp

I also have a Stainless Model 66 F-Comp which would be the same size as the current 3" PC-Comp that the factory is offering

I even pocket carry the PC 940 Special on many an occasion. I love these little guys and will also sometimes carry them as a NY Reload.

As you are already familiar with ported revolvers like your Model 66's Mag-Na-Port, you know that the porting is most effective with Full Power ammunition.

The nice thing about the Power Port verses a Mag-Na-Port style of porting is that the Power Port's effectiveness is over a greater range of ammunition power. So even 38 Special +P will get some benefit

Even with what I own, I am considering buying one of the new 2 1/2" Carry Comp Model 19s. I am just waiting for this China Virus Crisis panic to stop or at least slow down

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original K Comps from the Performance Center. Not too many made.

Also have a Carry Comp. Its a three inch Model 629-3 with the comp and fixed sights. One of 495 from the S&W Performance Center.

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original ones also.
Great gun, it is the absolute last handgun I would ever consider letting go

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I also have one. Great for what it is. I do wish they’d gone with an XS dot sight for the front sight.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post