SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CMMG Banshee 9mm MKG - does anyone have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMMG Banshee 9mm MKG - does anyone have one? Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
I am considering picking up one of the new MKG models and I was looking for feedback. Are they reliable? How do they supresss? Did you have to dink around with different buffer weights or the bolt tuning kit they sell to get them to run reliably? If I suppress it, I’d be using an Omega9k. I read that there were some extraction / ejection issues that pop up after 500 - 1000 rds. Has this been fixed with the new models or was it just internet BS.

Thanks in advance.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My extractor broke on the 3rd mag. They sent a new one and I upgraded it with bcm parts.
I added the medium weight to the bolt for suppressed usage. Using the Omega 9K on a 3-lug setup.

No more issues. Only have 2k rounds through it, mostly suppressed using Winchester 147gr BEB ammo. I had issues cycling IWI 158gr ammo. So I stuck with the 147gr.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not a Banshee per-se, but I built a 16" 9mm AR using the CMMG RDB barrel and bolt system. Awesome, flat-shooting gun...almost as smooth and my buddy's MPX with less girth and bulk, and for half the money.

The only issue I've had with it is that it did eat the ejector pin somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds. It was immediately noticeable, as the gun started failing to eject. I pulled it apart and the ejector pin was battered almost completely through, and the spring was also kinked. I replaced them with some standard AR parts from my stash and e-mailed CMMG, who responded the next day and sent me not only replacement ejector parts and spares, but also the BCG weight kit to tune the bolt for free.

Installing the lightest weight put the ejection pattern right where they said it should be (I don't have a suppressor) and it did seem to soften the recoil impulse a bit more, but I've only got about 500 rounds through it since the swap, so I can't speak to the longevity of the fix related to the ejector. Honestly, it's a range toy, so if I have to replace the ejector spring and pin every couple of thousand rounds as a wear item, it's really no big deal...they're cheap parts. I've had no extractor issues.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t run into problems with mine yet. Although I did buy the bolt weight kit, I choose to just swap out buffers instead of swapping out weights. Currently running a H2 buffer.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've actually a couple. Have been completely flawless with no issues to note. But to be fair I run them in exactly one configuration, 147g AE ammo and a dead air wolfman on it. How it might go with other 9mm ammo and a different suppressor I don't know. But its seems well made and with lots of ways to tune it if needed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Which generation do you have and roughly how many rounds through it?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one for about a year and a half. It has been very reliable and quite accurate at 50 yards or less. (My range is only 50 yards). The "delayed-recoil" system makes a noticeable difference in reliability as well as reducing recoil. I have taken a number of classes with it and it's my most enjoyable AR. Round count is just an estimate of a couple of thousand rounds.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which generation do you have and roughly how many rounds through it?

If this was for me how do I know the generation? I'm not a super follower of CMMG updates.
j

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
I, like 92fstech, have put together a 16" and a 8" with their RDB barrel/bolt pair. I originally built the 8" because it's what I use as under the bed gun and it is so much more fun and enjoyable to shoot than the standard blow back design (not that 9mm recoil is rough or anything). I've taken it to 4 full day shooting classes and haven't experienced any issues in more than 3500 rounds. I did find that using a H3 buffer was just perfect for shooting 124gr NATO rounds. I enjoyed it so much that I built the 16" rifle for shooting in competitions next year. They're solid, reliable, and good to go in my opinion.

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^ Yeah I built my 16" to use as a training rifle for my patrol carbine that I can shoot on the pistol-only bays at our club, and on short-range steel. I like it so much that now I want an 8" SBR to go with it...

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post