SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    To 2011 or not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To 2011 or not? Login/Join 
posted
I been thinking about getting a 2011 lately, for the most part I have been a polymer handgun kind of person. Is it worth the investment to switch to a 2011?, do you find that with the 2011 makes the shooting experience much better?. I'm an experience handgun shooter just trying to figure out if is worth the investment over a tune polymer handgun.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you truly "switching" or adding on?

The 1911/2011 platform is no doubt better suited for what I would call the "meticulous enthusiast." Things like recoil spring changes and magazine maintenance are more important than on polymer striker guns. If you want to change parts, you have more options, but if your gun and the parts are good, they may not drop in. You need to understand and master the safeties. A good grip safety will work so well you won't notice it. That thumb safety is your life line.

That said, you can't replicate a good 1911/2011 trigger in a striker gun. The trigger, by design, moves directly to the rear. The mechanics of the action are very simple.

To me, they're like owning an exotic car. They're going to take a little more work to keep on the road, but you can do more with it if your skills allow.

I've got a couple 2011s (a pre-Staccato but post acquisition STI, a Staccato P, and a Staccato C2). They all shoot great and are reasonably well built guns. The current production magazines work reliably (magazines have always been the challenge on the 2011), but they're not cheap. I replace my recoil and firing pin springs every 3,500-5,000 rounds and the guns keep going and going. I did not clean my Staccato P all last year despite several thousand rounds...just added oil when it started to get sluggish and even though it was disgusting inside, it kept running.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'll basically ditto everything DaBigBR said.

I made the switch from striker guns to 2011s two years ago knowing full well what I was getting into. I've also got a Staccato P and a C2. Both have been perfectly reliable and, save for the price of magazines and the base price of the guns, there is nothing wanting with the platform, IMO. I've gotten an increase in my performance (as an high intermediate/lower advanced shooter with more than a fair bit of training), no compromise in reliability, just a hole in my wallet.

For example, at the most recent class I took, shooting the C2, we did a walkback drill of 3 rounds from 3 yards to 50. I didn't throw a single round outside an 8" circle until 35 yards. Only two rounds were even outside a 4" circle. That's with a compact, iron sights gun. I was shocked, having never shot remotely that well at range. Having done a long range pistol class with a 320, I can tell you that I didn't shoot remotely close to that level. So with my skill level, yeah, the gun actually increases my performance.

If you're willing to drop the cash and put in the time to train yourself on the platform and put in the maintenance*, they're excellent guns.

*Like DaBigBR, I also didn't clean my P for like 1500+ rounds and had no issues whatsoever, so take the "Ferrari" maintenance caveat only so far.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Can't really add anything to what DaBigBR wrote--other than the fact my Staccato R is probably the most enjoyable handgun to shoot of any I own, bar none Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
All good answers thus far. I'll add the advice to be realistic about your skill level and expectations.

I've shot Staccatos and didn't find them to be appreciably better than say a Shadow 2 or Legion SAO that cost 1/3rd as much, but I also acknowledge that I don't shoot a level high enough to extract the presumable performance advantages of a 2011.

If you think your current gun is what's keeping you from becoming a grandmaster shooter, then buying a high dollar boutique gun is not going to fix that.

If you want a boutique gun just because you enjoy shooting it, there's nothing wrong w/ that either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iron chef,

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
All good answers thus far. I'll add the advice to be realistic about your skill level and expectations.

This is the truth.

These guns let you cheat, though. I can shoot my Glocks and Berettas and so forth pretty damn good. I have to work harder to do it, though. A 1911/2011 with an optic makes it easier and if you're dialed in, you'll do great things with it.

I use the FBI Instructor Proficiency course and the Super Test as benchmarks. I can routinely shoot better than 295 on either with a 2011. I can usually crack 290 with a Glock. Both are good scores, but the 2011 makes it easy.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A 2011 doesn't have to be all that expensive if you shop around.

Be cautious about a STI/Staccato. They make nice guns, but their customer service is total and complete shit.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just remember the 1911's and 2011"s are made for 45 ACP.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.45 ACP 2011s are dead. The .45 magazines never worked better than the 9mm ones and the STI/Staccato Gen 2 9mm magazines are great. Staccato stopped making .45 Staccato Ps because over an entire year they sold literally less than a handful.

The gun may have been designed around .45, but present day 2011s, especially for carry and defense, are 9mm.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
A 2011 doesn't have to be all that expensive if you shop around.

Be cautious about a STI/Staccato. They make nice guns, but their customer service is total and complete shit.

Not sure when you last dealt with Staccato, but everyone I know that has had to deal with them has had great things to say about the customer service side.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In reality they were probably designed around .38 Super.

Posts: 21109 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a recent convert to the 2011 platform. I have the Staccato XL and C2. They are great pistols. I use the XL for competition (which I officially and unofficially suck at) vs the G34 Gen 4 with DPP optic I was using. I run a Holosun 507C X2 ACSS optic on the XL and a Holosun 407K on the C2.

I vote for the investment. I doubt you'll regret it. My Staccato XL is easily my favorite pistol to shoot or maintain. I've had great service from Staccato Customer Service as well.

Although I have Glocks, Sigs, Revolvers, 1911's and now 2011's, there can be a learning curve vs Striker fired pistol's. Mags are expensive but drop free faster than the Glocks IMHO. I've had no Staccato Mag issues and I own a lot of Staccato mags.

Also, your 2011 isn't, most likely, going to fit into your 1911 holsters assuming you might think it would. However, your 1911 will, most likely, fit into your Staccato 2011 holster. A little rattle here and there but works if you decide to run a 1911 in a 2011 holster (legal disclaimer, YMMV and I'm not recommending it).

Finally, it's a pretty gun compared to my Striker fired pistols. I'm a believer that life is too short not to have a pretty gun for competitions, carry or BBQ's.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Ever since I shot a 2019 Staccato P, I was hooked. I ended up getting a 2020 C2 and it’s awesome. Like stated above, it’s just easier to shoot well and to me it makes for a much more enjoyable range experience and it’s a confidence builder. I’m hoping one day to get a XC as everyone I’ve seen who has one says it’s the flattest and lowest recoiling 9mm they’ve ever fired—and from videos I’ve seen it looks amazing.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I’m hoping one day to get a XC as everyone I’ve seen who has one says it’s the flattest and lowest recoiling 9mm they’ve ever fired—and from videos I’ve seen it looks amazing.

It really is, but it's also a huge chunk of change. At that high, I'd rather get a custom Nighthawk TRS Comp, but the Staccato P is a nice deal and at SHOT Show Staccato showed off a Comp that can be screwed on and timed by the guide rod. Not sure how much that will cost, but it's a good idea.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I’m hoping one day to get a XC as everyone I’ve seen who has one says it’s the flattest and lowest recoiling 9mm they’ve ever fired—and from videos I’ve seen it looks amazing.

It really is, but it's also a huge chunk of change. At that high, I'd rather get a custom Nighthawk TRS Comp, but the Staccato P is a nice deal and at SHOT Show Staccato showed off a Comp that can be screwed on and timed by the guide rod. Not sure how much that will cost, but it's a good idea.

Comp is actually made by Dawson Precision. They run $229.95

I'll be another upvote for 2011's as I also recently bought a C2 DPO and it has become my go-to gun. In this case, I'm using a Holosun 508T on it.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In that case, I can see my next purchase being a Staccato P DPO and threaded barrel. I also like if I buy from Dawson, they'll custom fit that comp to the gun.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I bought a Staccato P last year and use it for comps and EDC (yup, large but it works). Absolutely love it! Shots fabulously and zero issues. Now getting a C2 for EDC. As for their CS, no problems with them at all, have been very responses with any questions I may have. As mentioned, you can also buy direct from Dawson which is also very good CS and parts for it.

Posts: 770 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vipers28:
I bought a Staccato P last year and use it for comps and EDC (yup, large but it works). Absolutely love it! Shots fabulously and zero issues. Now getting a C2 for EDC. As for their CS, no problems with them at all, have been very responses with any questions I may have. As mentioned, you can also buy direct from Dawson which is also very good CS and parts for it.

I also carried the P for almost two years until I got the C2. Definitely doable with the right holster. Biggest issue was weight, not size.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
To thread and add the Dawson ICE comp or plain muzzle?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
We are T&Eing them at work.

My take on it is that I can shoot a better group at 50 yards and a slightly better group at 25 yards. Than that of a Glock 17.

That really seems to be the only edge I can find. The trigger isn’t “nicer” it’s just different.

Unless something changes, I’ll stick with the Glock RMR combo.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post