SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith & Wesson revolvers--What does "no dash" mean?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson revolvers--What does "no dash" mean? Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted
I will occasionally see Smith & Wesson revolver models listed as "no dash" but I have no idea what that means. Can someone explain it to me?

Additional note: I have someone offering me a model 66 "no dash" for $650. Is that a fair price?

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
No dash is the original model. Dash indicates model production lineage.

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Updates. They make a change, then up the post dash number. Smile
If they started today they'd be version .something. Wink

(swiped from the net)

66 - no dash - introduced 1970.

66-1 - 1977, changed the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder.

66-2 - 1982, eliminated pinned and recessed, slightly lengthened cylinder.

66-3 - 1986, new yoke retention system / radius stud package / hammer nose bushing / floating hand

66-4 - 1994, change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, introduce Hogue grips, change extractor.

66-5 - 1998, change in frame design: eliminate cylinder stop stud/eliminate serrated tangs/change to MIM hammer with floating firing pin/change internal lockwork.

66-6 - 2002, introduce internal lock.

2005 - discontinued.

2014 - reintroduced.

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The price seems high to me but in Texas there is likely a larger supply of old revolvers. The price may depend on the condition, finish, barrel length, hammer, trigger, custom work, etc. Peruse the classifieds on the S&W forum.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP what condition is the gun in?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A S&W Model 66 no dash in nice shape with original wood grips will easily bring $650 here, especially one with a 4” or shorter barrel. I’ve seen the much less desirable key-hole lock models priced at that amount and they go unsold.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:

It is in used condition, but pictures show it is in good condition. It has a 4-inch barrel.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
$650-800 is going rate on a 4” M66. Nice guns. I just sent $650 on a complete 2.5” 66-2 which is about half going rate (snubbies bring $$$).

I also have a rare 3” 66-3

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
A month ago, I had the opportunity to buy a 66-1 in very nice condition for $500. I knew very little about revolvers, so I held off. I did some research on it and realized it was a great deal on a desireable gun. When I went back for it, of course it was gone. Guy at the store told me someone else who came in a few hours after me that same day I first saw it bought it. I kick myself for passing it up.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a very good condition 66-1 two weeks ago for $700. $650 sounds like a reasonable price if it's in good condition.

Posts: 7242 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that price is plenty fair.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The dashes were engineering changes.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:

It is in used condition, but pictures show it is in good condition. It has a 4-inch barrel.

Take a look on Gun Broker, they have several 66 no dash, your price looks about right for a used pre-lock in good condition. Should have the pinned barrel, and recessed cylinders. So compare your pics to what you see on GB. Good luck!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and the explanation about "no dash"! I decided to pass on this one and try to find a 2.75 inch model 66.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
I'd jump on it. Where is it for sale at?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd jump on it. Where is it for sale at?

Locally.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
Thanks for the replies and the explanation about "no dash"! I decided to pass on this one and try to find a 2.75 inch model 66.

A newer 2.75" model w/lock is good for shooting, the pre locks 2.5" in excellent condition cost more.

posted Hide Post
The earliest model 66's (4") had stainless steel rear and front sights. They do bring a premium. Boxes, tools and papers add to the value, but condition rules.

Posts: 128 | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
The official parlance is that each dash number represents an engineering change.

Remember: You never pay too much for a S&W revolver, you just buy them too soon.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1447 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my LGS has had a new 66 in his case for probably 6 months, and he is asking $650. new in box. Nobady wants it at that price.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post