SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Nickel 39-2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Nickel 39-2 Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
Thirty or so years ago, a co-worker asked me to advise him on the purchase of a handgun. We went to the FJ Vollmer store and there was a very nice used nickel 39-2 in the case. He decided that was what he wanted. If he had chosen something else, I would have bought the Smith as I was actively collecting nickel Smiths as the time.

I don't think he has fired it more than once or twice in the years since. I did advice him to get additional magazines. On one of my trips South, I brought back a lot of Blazer aluminum ammo that was purchased for less than $4.00 and he got some of it.

He received a terminal diagnosis recently and I have helped him with a couple of long guns that went to relatives.

On Tuesday he sold me the Smith, 5 magazines and 11 boxes of Blazer ammo. I greatly regret the situation, but I now have the Smith. I told him I would not sell it.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Means a lot more than a nice gun doesn’t it.

Sorry for your friend’s troubles. Hopefully it always reminds you of him.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Great guns come and go, but great friends are irreplaceable. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis for your friend.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting to hear about FJ Vollmer. Back in the 86–88 timeframe, I picked up both a P7M8 and P7M13 from them. Those were the old Shotgun News days. I happened to work in the small office complex and there was a psychologist two doors down who had his FFL. But, now I am going to admit that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer: both were sold over five years ago Frown … but I still took home over 3K for the M13.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
This was a tremendous gesture on your friend's part.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
So sorry for the situation.

Enjoy the classic Smith!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry about your friend. I’m sure it gave him comfort to know it wasn’t just being sold to whomever, but a friend who would take care of it.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your friend ,that 39-2 is a fantastic gun,I had one and donated it to my daughter in law who carries it.
Mags are hard to find.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Better it stays with you than being sold off for nothing at a shop. The 39-2 was the first handgun I carried when I got on the job. Sorry I sold it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My friend Bill passed away last night.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
My friend Bill passed away last night.

So sorry to hear. Not only do you have the memories but you also can remember him every time you see that Smith. Prays to you and all of Bill's family and friends at this time of mourning.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truly sorry for your loss.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I took the 39 to the range a couple weeks ago and it didn't want to eject the fired brass. I took it to a smith and he replaced the extractor and its spring.

Back to the range today and it is perfect now. I fired some reload jhp's I did 20 years ago, some white box Winchester jhp's and a box of Herter's fmj's from Cabelas. Everything worked as it was supposed to.

I promised my friend I wouldn't sell it, but I don't think he would mind if I trade it to my son. I bought my son a Smith about 30 years ago when he graduated from law school. He doesn't share my passion, but his eyes lit up when he saw the nickel 39. I think we are going to trade. Hopefully he will get home sometime when it is warm and we can go shoot together. I want to shoot the 39 again someday.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Keeping the 39-2 in the care of your son seems to be within the spirit of your friend's intention. Can the legacy continue further?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My son has no children, Hopefully he will pass it on to someone who will appreciate it.