SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith and Wesson M&P 5.7x28 pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson M&P 5.7x28 pistol Login/Join 
posted
Just saw they released this. 22+1 capacity. 5” threaded barrel.

I like my M&P’s and I don’t own any 5.7x28 pistols this one intrigues me for some reason.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to admit every time someone brings out a new 5.7 I wonder why. Who is buying these and shooting them? Enough to warrant bringing it to market?

It looks like fun but way too pricy to shoot and I constantly hear that will change but it hasn’t yet.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Over a dollar a round for FN ammo, bought my son ammo for his Ruger at Christmas

Posts: 5344 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I do expect ammo prices to come down at some point.

5.7 ammo has historically been pricey, due to low supply, based on the low priority/demand for the ammo manufacturers.

With the release of multiple additional 5.7 rifles and handguns in the last 1-2 years, demand is now increasing. While this could result in a temporary further price spike in the short term, ammo manufacturers will inevitable ramp up supply to meet that increased demand at some point. And thus, by the power of the free market, the price will reach a market equilibrium at some reasonable level (eventually).

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Looks cool, like all the 5.7x28mm pistols do to me...but I can't help asking what's the advantage?

It isn't an armor defeater in that barrel length is it? Not afraid of being wrong, just asking.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Higher capacity (22 vs 17/15) and lower felt recoil (~30% of 9mm) are the two advantages 5.7 fans tend to tout.

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The price is dropping. I see it now for 36 dollars a box. BTW, many of the big bores are at about 1.50 per round, and several rifle calibers are 40 dollars a box. 338 Lapua will run you about 90 bucks.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Higher capacity (22 vs 17/15) and lower felt recoil (~30% of 9mm) are the two advantages 5.7 fans tend to tout.

But how do the ballistics compare to the 9mm for things like self defense?

Is the debate of the next 10 years going to be "5.7 vs 9mm" ??

Much like we had "45 vs 9mm vs .40 S&W" in the past?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10931 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Probably. "Small and fast" vs. "big and slow" has been at the heart of the perpetual caliber debate practically since bullets first became a thing.

5.7 is just even that much smaller and faster.

Anecdotally, 5.7 reportedly has poor performance in real world defensive use. Really small and fast is great for backup use for support troops who don't have a rifle to penetrate Soviet body armor (its original intent) but not so good for ballistic effectiveness on the human body. A number of LE agencies - including a few local to me - jumped on it years ago for SWAT/ERT team use, but all have since ditched it.

But that doesn't mean it's not still a potentially reasonable niche option, for something like varmint dispatching when carrying a rifle isn't a convenient option (it's similar to a .22 Magnum), or for a shooter who's especially recoil sensitive and 5.7 is the stoutest they can handle.

After all, you hear about folks getting Grandma a .22LR for self defense, since it's all she can handle and it's better than harsh words and a rolling pin.

posted Hide Post
Lowest I've seen is about 60 cents/rd for the Federal ammo, online pricing. We're still around 80 cents, based on what we paid for the stuff at the time. Ammo prices for the caliber are slowly coming down but it may take forever if ever for it to get back to anything close to sub-$20/box pricing like it once was for the Federal. And even if it did, 9mm would also come down. As it is right now and almost as it's always been, 5.7 is twice as expensive to shoot than 9mm. Maybe that ratio will change but it's going to take a LOT more gun options than the current half dozen or so handgun choices that are available right now.

EDIT: I forgot to add...at least if 5.7 DOES grow in popularity it'll help eradicate resources-wasteful DOA calibers like 30 S&W Super Carry.

-MG

Posts: 2006 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So fyi having handled and shot the fn57 and PSA rock then picking up the m&p5.7 I felt like it was rather long in the grip length. I have large hands and it felt uncomfortable. It is likely a design thing but the rock is by far the most ergonomic and comfortable. The m&p reminded me that I was shooting a very long narrow cartridge.

A few notes on the 5.7 round as I carry a 9 but it always makes me want to like it. Speer makes gold dots but specifically states they are for personal protection and not duty. AAC/PSA is coming out with 5.7 and while no one is specific it is supposed to be ballpark 50cpr. A large issue I see is that the round is touted as high velocity low weight and then everyone downloads it except the boutique guys and they charge asinine prices for their rounds. If we could get someone to load it to the 2300-2400 range vanguard or EA loads it to, but not charge 5 bucks a round it would be interesting to see what would happen when you run it through the protocol.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have limited experience with the 5.7, but I have shot it out of a P90 at a car and at some ballistic vest panels.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it was easy to control in full-auto, even out of the ergonomic abomination that is the P90.

Penetration was poor. The ammo we were using wouldn't go through a single IIIA vest panel, and only one round penetrated the car door-to-door. We got better penetration of the vehicle with 9mm. Maybe if you had some kind of AP round it would do better, but the commercially available stuff does not yield the legendary performance that people claim.

It's kinda fun and potentially effective as a full-auto bullet hose (if you have a municipal budget dedicated to feeding it). I have absolutely zero desire to own a semi-auto subgun or pistol chambered in it. There are much more effective and affordable calibers out there.

Posts: 8629 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
With the release of multiple additional 5.7 rifles and handguns in the last 1-2 years, demand is now increasing. While this could result in a temporary further price spike in the short term, ammo manufacturers will inevitable ramp up supply to meet that increased demand at some point. And thus, by the power of the free market, the price will reach a market equilibrium at some reasonable level (eventually).

I truly hope so. For about three years now, I've been arguing with Monoblok about this. I used to say what you've just stated, he said "yeah, I don't see it." I've slowly come around to his point of view on it. It may take a decade of stuff continually coming out in this caliber for it to happen. If PSA produces what they said they were going to produce, then it bodes well. As it is, it's just another gun and more customers sidling up to the same pool of ammo.

I bought a half case of SS198LF in mid 2019. I fired fifteen rounds out of it, and put the rest away. That was, and remains, the only real 5.7 I've bought for my PS90. I bought a couple random boxes of American Eagle when it went up about 50% in price, but it went up about another 50% and stayed there, so I've still only ever put exactly fifteen rounds through that gun, five of them, a friend shot. It's the Schrödinger's cat of my collection: It's a cool gun, but only if I SBR it and observe the cat being alive, which I still haven't done. However, I keep not doing that because I'll be stuck with it forever, and I'm hesitant to do that because of ammo prices which is kind of like assuming the cat's dead, but choosing not to look. Ammo prices keep not going down, which is the equivalent of never opening the box to observe the cat, so it's basically just a weird thing I own and don't use.

Posts: 17191 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no dog in this fight since I will likely never own a 5.7. I just had to comment I loved that post. Schrödinger's cat. Love it.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I carry one, fairly regularly. I carry the EA stuff.

But, I carry it because I’m smashed up. A 16oz gun, loaded, with minimal recoil and an easy to work slide, is pretty well my best option, some days.

I would think it has adequate penetration, with the right load/bullet.

Frankly, I think a revamped 25ACP, with flat bullets and loaded to 22 magnum levels, would be useful.

I’m not saying it’s a better choice than 10MM etc, but enough joint and nerve damage forces choices, especially once you start thinking about being able to shoot it regularly enough to maintain proficiency.

I think the aging of the boomers is driving some of the interest in lighter/softer shooting guns - and, truthfully, a lot of light calibers can have adequate penetration these days.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a long time 5.7 fan. I actually love the PS90 (since SBR'd) in the very beginning ammo availability was problematic so I bought lots (it was $750 per 2k). I like the round and the guns that shoot it. The big problem on the pistols for me has been lack of optics (my eyes need a red dot) and a threaded barrel. FN has finally fixed the red dot issue but you still have to go aftermarket for the barrel on the FN gun. So this gun seems like a really nice option and I'm going to get one. The round itself is obviously a serious discussion item. with good ammo seems ok and the Ft. Hood example had pretty good terminal ballistics. But I have a small amount of good stuff and if I really needed the gun that's what I would use. But excepting some special cases like Aglifter I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
with good ammo seems ok and the Ft. Hood example had pretty good terminal ballistics.

I read an article someone posted here years ago that was a pretty in-depth examination of the whole event, and I was astounded at how catastrophic the damage done with that caliber was. If I remember right, it was just SS197SR. The SS198LF stuff I have does ugly stuff in the ballistic tests I've seen.

Posts: 17191 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
The price is dropping. I see it now for 36 dollars a box. BTW, many of the big bores are at about 1.50 per round, and several rifle calibers are 40 dollars a box. 338 Lapua will run you about 90 bucks.

20 rounds of Win 45/70 @ Walm*rt today, $49 + change.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post