SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber Mako R7
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Mako R7 Login/Join 
posted
I could not find mention of this gun on this sub-forum, so I thought I'd ask. Never heard of it till a few days ago, but saw a revue on it by The Truth About Guns and I Carry. The only "bad" thing one said was he did not like its looks because the slide was high. Otherwise both were very much full of praise for function and other qualities.

The gun does not have an open slide, rather it has an ejection port which, both reviewers said works perfectly. Huh? Imagine that!

Anybody ever seen this gun, or own one or, maybe, shot one?

Kimber is not high on my list of really reliable little autos, but, my mind could be changed.

Prior to seeing these reviews. I was thinking of one of the newest Hellcats, but I bought one when they first came out and it worked, but was pretty vanilla (maybe bland is a better word).

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I read about it recently, also. But, the ejection port doesn't puzzle me. Look at all the rifles with ejection ports. They work.

What struck me as odd more is the pinned breech face. Not whole breech block of the old SIG folded slide guns, but that little thin slice they call the breech face that is pinned to the slide. Why?

And, the gun is bigger than the P365 with same capacity, so what's the point?

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just never saw an ejection port on a handgun and the first reviewer (Truth About Guns) didn't expect it to work. Yeah, the pinned breech face was odd.

It is slightly bigger than the standard P365, but I was kinda enthused by the Trijicon sight and the fact that the gun apparently worked.

I have a 365X which is as big as I'm gonna go for carry. But a range gun....

I must admit I was hoping one of the members would pop up and say, "Yeah, I got me one, and it works (or it doesn't work)."

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Well, to me it looks like a hi point and a Glock had a baby. That said, my Dad who is a relatively new shooter traded his S&W 9mm EZ in for the Mako R7. We took it to the range and it functioned flawlessly and he is extremely happy with the way it feels in his hand.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Research the new Hellcat Pro.

Posts: 38 | Location: South-Central Pennsylvania | Registered: May 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an early version of the R7 back in October 2021. Have cycled about 1000 rounds through it with no issues. It's cycled all sorts of different ammo with no issues. I have the CT RDS- which I like, it's comparable to other RDS sights I have. The trigger is very nice and consistent. It's as accurate as can be expended for a small carry size pistol. It's a small gun and my hands are big enough that the larger 13 round magazine helps a lot with my grip. Would recommend it as a good EDC.

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post