SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts and opinions of Ruger LCP Max ???>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts and opinions of Ruger LCP Max ???>>> Login/Join 
posted
I usually carry a 1st generation LCP as one of my EDC rotation with 2 spare magazines. I have read the new LCP Max is the same size and just a little thicker than the LCP I have now, and was thinking of upgrading to the LCP Max in the future. Anyone have the new LCP Max and what are your thoughts and opinion on it ?? Thank you for reading and sharing any info or experience. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I had one. Wasn't impressed with how it shot. Couldn't get decent groups with it yet I can with my LCP II. It was combat accurate but I just couldn't shoot it as well as the LCPII. Was 100% reliable.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple hundred rounds through a Max with no failures and pretty accurate too. I like it but haven't carried it yet but I still pocket carry a LCP Custom I've had for 4 or 5 years that has been 100% reliable with an excellent factory trigger.

Posts: 916 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I picked up a LCP Max a few weeks ago. I've only shot it once but so far, so good.

There's a known issue about the slide not locking back on empty mags. When you cycle by hand, it usually will not lock back. When shooting, it will. Ruger is aware and includes a note in the box about this. If your slide fails to lock back when shooting, Ruger considers it a defective mag and will send you a replacement.

I held my Max side-by-side w/ an original LCP and could not find any meaningful difference in grip thickness that would make me think the Max is any harder to conceal.

I've never been seriously interested in a 380ACP until the LCP Max came out, b/c 10+1 of 380ACP in something as small as the Max is the game-changer that the P365 was to 9mm. If you care for his opinions at all, James Reeves at The Firearms Blog named the LCP Max his favorite new gun of 2021.

I'll follow-up w/ another range report after I take it shooting again.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Traded the LCP II in on the new 380 Max, can't tell the difference size wise in any dimension when I carry, which is in the pocket...

Fit and finish are on par with Rugers LCP lineup,

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked mine up about a month ago. I only have 50 rounds through it so far, but I’m happy with it. I had the original lcp, and this is a vast improvement. I ordered a couple vedder holsters for it and it will eventually make it into my summer carry.

The one issue I did have was with the 12 round mag not locking the slide back. Ruger sent me a replacement that still will not lock the slide back.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shkuhn:
I picked mine up about a month ago. I only have 50 rounds through it so far, but I’m happy with it. I had the original lcp, and this is a vast improvement. I ordered a couple vedder holsters for it and it will eventually make it into my summer carry.

The one issue I did have was with the 12 round mag not locking the slide back. Ruger sent me a replacement that still will not lock the slide back.

I haven't heard of this mag problem that you and iron chef are talking about but I haven't shot the 12 rounders yet. I didn't get any notice about the problem either but thanks for the info. Hope to shoot the 12's soon and will report. Thanks guys.

Posts: 916 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Two of my coworkers have them. Their chief complaint is the magazine coming unlocked during pocket carry. This could be addressed I would think with a stiffer mag release spring but I’m unaware of any being available.

A mag release fence like on an AR would be a engineering upgrade. I’ve suggested to them a little JB weld project to build up their own around it but they haven’t. If I had one that’s what I’d do.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I, too, am very intrigued by these little guns. I’ve carried an original LCP as a backup for years but have since replaced it with my G42. (Still have my LCP) My LCP is a pretty constant companion at the ball field with my boy. I’m thinking the LCP Max would be an improvement.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one about a month ago and have about 400 rounds through it. No failures, accurate enough for what it is. Its really incredibly small and light even fully loaded. Not my primary EDC. Its mostly my walking the dogs gun or when I am wearing athletic shorts or similar.

I have not had the mag release on me while in my picket or IWB. My pocket holster is from Alabama Holster and I like it.I think thy have a version that covers the mag button, but I did not order that option, no problems.

As to the slide locking back I also have not had that fail to happen when shooting with any of the four magazines I have, two 12 and two 10. If I want to lock the slide back by hand with an empty mag inserted it has to be brought back with some force for it to lock, and then it does every time. If I do not do it sharply it does not. I don't see it as any issue for me.

My only minor complaint is that I cannot for the life of me release the slide with the slide release button. I need to pull back on the slide to put the gun into battery. Again, not an issue for me.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read that the LCP2 and LCP Max are so close in size that the LCP Max can fit into the same holsters as the LCP2. Can anyone confirm this, especially a Kydex holster ??? Thank you and God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I have read that the LCP2 and LCP Max are so close in size that the LCP Max can fit into the same holsters as the LCP2. Can anyone confirm this, especially a Kydex holster ??? Thank you and God Bless !!! Smile

Yes, the Max will fit Kydex,leather too, holsters for the LCP2, because I have both pistols and several holsters Originally for the LCP2.

Braids Holsters makes affordable quality holsters, I've purchased 3 holsters from that company. I carry my Max in a Kydex holster Originally for the LCP2.

Hope this helps.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just grabbed one and a couple of 12 round mags. The 10 round mags are better about locking the slide back when you rack it. The 12's are inconsistent. It depends on the angle the follower sits at when the mag is empty - if it's pitched up too much at the front it can jump over the slide stop tang. Plan to test fire soon, hopefully no issues.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I just grabbed one and a couple of 12 round mags. The 10 round mags are better about locking the slide back when you rack it. The 12's are inconsistent. It depends on the angle the follower sits at when the mag is empty - if it's pitched up too much at the front it can jump over the slide stop tang. Plan to test fire soon, hopefully no issues.

I prefer the 10 round mags as the 12 round mags seem to make the pistol point low.

No function issues with either capacity mags.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I've been tempted to pick one of these up. Got my first LCP 10 years ago and occasionally carry it, not my favorite to shoot but certainly a better option than nothing for certain situations.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Here is the note that came w/ my LCP Max.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Mine, an earlier version, didn't have that note.

美しい犬

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have one and I really like it. I’m carrying it most days now. The G42 has been put on the back burner.

It’s very shootable and fast. The grip fills the hand better than the original LCP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I have one and I really like it. I’m carrying it most days now. The G42 has been put on the back burner.

It’s very shootavle and fast. The grip fills the hand better than the original LCP.

How does it feel to shoot versus the G42?

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Mine, an earlier version, didn't have that note.
Neither did mine. I thought mine was a current model.