SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need Opinions...1911 Purchase Related
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Opinions...1911 Purchase Related Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown at that price. Then save up your nickels and dimes and by a 10mm Ruger new. You'll then have what you need.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1571 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ed Brown would be hard to pass for the cost.

Dan Wesson's are very well made pistols.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you have solid choices. That being said buying used is a gamble. For example my Dan Wesson.. beautiful, well made and handles like a dream, but the previous owner hacked the ejector and I think the extractor and I'll be damed if my gunsmith and I can get it to be reliable.

So watch videos read books know how to check a 1911 over if buying used.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
It’s time one of these threads came around. I love 1911s,and have many. The 1911 is an interesting bird. It can be the greatest invention for a firearms enthusiast, or the nightmare from Hell. Simple, but if not executed well just won’t work reliably. Kinda like a Harley. (Some will get this)
Chunky, heavy, and limited rounds with a trigger that once again is Heaven or Hell. John M Browning was on to something. We love his vision, we are obsessed. We try to improve, dress it up, make it cooler.....
There are a crap-ton of choices and you have mentioned some good choices, and you are looking for a “Range” gun at this time. I have owned all these choices (sold some) and other than fit,finish,and frills(options) they pretty much all do the same thing. Some thrill me, and some are lackluster. At one time I was in a place where I had to have the Wilson Combat, the Browns , the Baers. Each of these are distinctive “ birds” Think of a Jeep Wrangler,there are a shit ton of mods from the factory that change the look and modify their purpose. They ALL get you off road, but not necessarily for Moab,
Which 1911.....I am gonna give me personal experience.

My number one choice has to be the Dan Wesson...
I think at this time they offer the MOST value, fit, finish, accuracy, and Visual flash, and Manufacturing backing their product for any reason.
The Browns are BEAUTIFUL pieces, I just feel for YOUR STATED NEEDS.
The Bears are awesome, accurate as heck but Finish is not up to the Browns or Dan Wesson’s. I have sent two back for poor bluing and peening.Accurate as heck though.
The others are gonna for the most part give you a fun range experience, some do it better and easier. It is an individual preference that is based on the desires we have. You like bling, go for it. You want gritty Rock and Roll, it’s the same with 1911s, cars, guitars, you get the picture.Almost all the 1911s in my “rotation” are Dan Wesson’s. 9mm, 10mm , .45, Dan Wesson.....

This is just MY opinion based upon what your purpose is, used, and budget. Whatever you choose, you are BITTEN! Let the fun begin!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money I just can't imagine anyone even thinking about anything but the Brown or the Baer.

Makes no sense to me,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
The really cool thing is we have so many good choices for all tastes and desires, not to mention budget!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordinarily, I would say Brown, Baer or Dan Wesson, but if the Sig is priced less than the Ruger and it’s only a range toy for now, I’d get the Sig. They have a lot of features for the money.

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I own or have owned , at least 1 example of almost all of the above. If I wanted to spend at the top of MY threshold I would get another DW. IF I wanted a decent, reliable 1911 on a budget I'd get another Ruger. The commander I had was used VERY hard. I put short triggers in all mine. Love the Colts and have many examples. The DW is perhaps the best value going.

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(I have a few 1911's, two Colt's, a Dan Wesson, a Les Baer.. price and sentimental value aside, my favorite is a cheap bottom barrel Asian made one.) Big Grin

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
I keep coming back to Ed Browns...

Sounds like you had answered your question without knowing it. While I'm crazy enough to say get the Ruger and the Sig. A Kimber is a good suggestion also.

If you are still shopping around, be sure to look into a 10mm or a .38Super. See if something you are looking at can be had with a 9mm conversion kit.

While I had bought and sold a few 1911s myself, another thing I can suggest is to consider saving a bit more and getting yourself an SVI.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been toying with buying my first 1911 as well.

Personally, I’d probably lean towards the less expensive route of Ruger. Though the advice of “buying once and to keep” a higher-quality unit (DW, etc) is appealing, I find that we are all restless with our current choices. Thus I’d buy the Ruger knowing that it will be relatively easy & painless to trade up (or away if I ultimately don’t care for 1911’s). I’m not saying that a Ruger has great resale value; instead I’m noting that the $ loss is nominal and trade market is abundant.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My first recommendation would have been a Dan Wesson Valor. Sadly, DW discontinued the Valor not long ago. Examples are likely still available; I’m still surprised at DW’s move here.

The Colt Wiley Clapp 1911s are quite well-appointed.

I like the Ruger SR1911 line myself - a smartly-equipped pistol at a budget-friendly price.

For a more bare-bones or “basic” 1911, the current Springfield Armory “Defender” (otherwise known as their Mil-Spec model) is a solid gun currently available for less than $600.

Gently-used Browns and Baers can be had at surprising prices given today’s relatively soft market. Check Brown’s in-stock “factory certified trade-ins” on their site. Granted, the short list of guns found there as I type this is not impressive savings-wise; keep checking, as there have been some fine deals there (including what are actually “new / demo” guns).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Springfield milspec defender gets you a made in America forged frame 1911 for $459.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2177:
I think you have solid choices. That being said buying used is a gamble. For example my Dan Wesson.. beautiful, well made and handles like a dream, but the previous owner hacked the ejector and I think the extractor and I'll be damed if my gunsmith and I can get it to be reliable.

So watch videos read books know how to check a 1911 over if buying used.

Send it back to Dan Wesson if the local smith isn't sure. The extractor is the weak point in the 1911 design and the eventual failure point. The tradition al fix is to pull it and bend it with a thumb to increase extractor tension. The actual fix is to replace it. If there's any question about the ejector, replace that, too.

The other typical failure point is magazine feed lips. Before anything else, swap mags.

If someone began playing musical recoil springs, that's another potential; too light a load or too heavy a spring. Best bet, return to factory spring power with a new ISMI spring.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good experiences with both Ruger & Sig 1911’s.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've owned numerous brands of 1911. My put is simple: Dan Wesson!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might also consider the Springfield Armory TRP.

At the risk of being punny, allot of bang for the buck!

Posts: 102 | Location: Mentor, OH | Registered: March 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
My Sig 1911 Super Target was a present from my wife for our anniversary last year. It is my favorite range and competition pistol. It wouldn't work well for a carry gun without some modifications but it sure can shoot! I have almost 2700 rounds through it to date and no malfunctions.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I am biased. I own two Ed Browns, a Special Forces Carry in 45 ACP and a custom 5 inch in 9mm. I am very pleased with mine and highly recommend.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though I sold my Ed Brown, due to a financial crisis, I still own a Les Baer,and a Wilson that both have a 1 1/2" group guarantee @ 50 yards.
Shooting offhand, if the Ed Brown wasn't as accurate, it was close. It was a two-tone. Probably the prettiest pistol I've ever owned

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post