SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there a mechanical reason a 1911 would shoot left.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Is there a mechanical reason a 1911 would shoot left. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I know, I know the biggest noob question of all firearmdom but hear me out.

I’ve had a Colt 1991A1 basic GI sighted series 80 gun for a very long time. It’s always shot left (I’ve drifted the rear sight quite a bit and “fixed” it but it’s always bugged me.)

Now this isn’t my first rodeo. I know shooting left or low left is a shooter issue the VAST amount of the time. The thing is I can shoot just about any other 1911 dead center without a thought and I’ve shot a great many over the years. This is what leads me to ask if there are any mechanical reasons why a 1911 might shoot left.

Honestly I was just sort of thinking about this gun recently and I got to thinking about this again. It’s not a huge deal to me but since it’s in my head again I figured I ask.

Thanks much.
Chris.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure, there are uncommon mechanical issues that could potentially cause the gun to shoot to the left on its own.

Things like barrel manufacturing imperfections, crown damage, uneven fit between parts (like the barrel and bushing or barrel and slide), improperly cut sight dovetails, etc.

As you stated, these are going to be vastly less common than shooter-induced errors.
 
Posts: 35523 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If all your other guns shoot to point of aim. And only this one shoots left. AND adjusting the sights got you to point of aim, point of impact. Then it could be surmised the gun is actually shooting left. How far did you have to drift the sight?

It’s not unheard of for a gun to require sighting in. The easiest fix would probably start with a fitted bushing. Assuming the barrel is in good shape.
 
Posts: 1055 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
If all your other guns shoot to point of aim. And only this one shoots left. AND adjusting the sights got you to point of aim, point of impact. Then it could be surmised the gun is actually shooting left. How far did you have to drift the sight?

It’s not unheard of for a gun to require sighting in. The easiest fix would probably start with a fitted bushing. Assuming the barrel is in good shape.


I’d have to look at it but is was a fair bit of sight push IIRC.

The bushing was where I was thinking about starting as this is a fairly cheap straight forward way to tinker with this. You are correct in all your assumptions above. I am experienced enough to know things are shooter issues the vast amount of the time and experienced enough to catch myself when I say “this gun…..” when the reality is it’s my form/interface with it. In this singular case though I am confident it’s not a me issue……and trust me I am plenty familiar with ME ISSUES. Frown Razz


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If I go down the route of tinkering with this gun, any recommendations for a better rear sight that fits the standard/GI dovetail and works with stock front?


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Sights.

Barrel, bushing, barrel lug, slide rails to frame.

I'm no gunsmith so don't get me started on fixing more complex issues lol.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8039 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Here's a perspective from right field. I have a P320. Yes, I know I am living on borrowed time. It was a custom build, with a Wilson Combat grip module. I changed to a Sig X5 type grip module, with integral mag well. Shot it well. Years later, decided to go back to the WC module. In dryfiring practice, all the "shots" when center low, as seen in the Holosun 507C. Easy to see the dot move in that RDS.

So, I dragged out the M&P 9C. RMR optic. Same drill. Sights remained on target upon striker fall.

Then I had this brilliant idea. Put the Sig module back on the P320. See what the sight dot does when dry firing. Guess what. NO movement.

My interpretation is that the narrower WC module, with minimal spot for heel of hand to press forward, and whatever odd index finger to grip angle it may have just doesn't work for me. It is a fine module, and most shoot it well, I"m sure. But, for me, it doesn't work.

So, reading your post, I am wondering what subtle differences exist in the 1991 vs. the other 1911. Could it be as simple as the grip panel thickness? The beavertail vs. no beavertail? You get the idea.

Anything that the hand does when pulling the trigger moves those sights. Grip matters.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6293 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I would be looking really hard at the barrel bushing. It would be easy to try a different one. Could also be slide or barrel but the bushing would be my first guess.
 
Posts: 21808 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Here's a perspective from right field. I have a P320. Yes, I know I am living on borrowed time. It was a custom build, with a Wilson Combat grip module. I changed to a Sig X5 type grip module, with integral mag well. Shot it well. Years later, decided to go back to the WC module. In dryfiring practice, all the "shots" when center low, as seen in the Holosun 507C. Easy to see the dot move in that RDS.

So, I dragged out the M&P 9C. RMR optic. Same drill. Sights remained on target upon striker fall.

Then I had this brilliant idea. Put the Sig module back on the P320. See what the sight dot does when dry firing. Guess what. NO movement.

My interpretation is that the narrower WC module, with minimal spot for heel of hand to press forward, and whatever odd index finger to grip angle it may have just doesn't work for me. It is a fine module, and most shoot it well, I"m sure. But, for me, it doesn't work.

So, reading your post, I am wondering what subtle differences exist in the 1991 vs. the other 1911. Could it be as simple as the grip panel thickness? The beavertail vs. no beavertail? You get the idea.

Anything that the hand does when pulling the trigger moves those sights. Grip matters.


Very valid insights but it’s not “the other 1911”. It’s a bunch of them over the years from cheap to custom. This is why I lean towards something mechanical vs my technique. None of that is to say I am some amazing or talented shooter as that couldn’t be further from the truth. I just have enough experience to be confident it’s not me in this case and I am generally humble enough to call myself out as the problem when it is likely the case.

Thanks much though.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the insight folks. As always thank you.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Am i reading this right that multiple 1911s shoot then same way?





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8039 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No, apologies.

-I own a single 1911 that shoots left.
-I have experience with a great many 1911s across the spectrum and NONE OF THOSE have shot left for me. This is the reason why I believe I have a minor mechanical issue vs. a shooter issue.

If I had only ever shot one 1911 or if this was endemic to me across the breed I would suspect/know it was a ME issue and not a gun issue.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Shooting left?
There’s some mechanical issues that could be the reason.
Barrel bushing, sights milled just >< that much off, bad crown…
It could have come off the line with something wrong, and bad QC issues. Hey, mistakes happen.

The bad thing now is-
You’re the one that’s going to have to figure it out, at your expense.
Start cheap, like a bushing, then go from there.
If someone has a vice / bench rest, see if you can use that for a few rounds. See how much you’re off at 10 yards. That might be a helpful hint for diagnosing the issue.


______________________________________________________________________
"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
 
Posts: 9807 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Barrel bushing and/or sights would be my first assumption.

I’m no expert, but I think that a poor barrel crown would cause more issues than what you are experiencing.

Slide-to-frame fit shouldn’t matter if barrel bushing and sights are fine.
 
Posts: 884 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
I had a 1991a1 Officers Model that had it's barrel hood fitted so poorly that firing would torque the chamber end of the barrel to the right when shooting moving the point of impact. You might check for that.


"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)
 
Posts: 1107 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else shot it, does it shoot left for them.

In the meantime, contact Colt tell them of the issue and how far you've had to move the sight to correct. See about sending it back to them for review and correction.

Otherwise a good 1911 gunsmith could look at it for your to determine if there is a mechanical issue.
 
Posts: 28580 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone else shot it, does it shoot left for them.


Yes.

As far as sending it back. It’s an old gun that is always on my “back burner” and it shoots fine the way I have it adjusted. It’s really more of a “Cslinger gets bored, his mind wonders and it comes back to thinking about this.” Kind of thing. Just something for me to tinker with.

Appreciate all the insights again.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8793 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there a mechanical reason a 1911 would shoot left.

© SIGforum 2026