SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lettering on P238HD slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lettering on P238HD slide Login/Join 
posted
I've been blinging out a P238HD (all stainless controls, pearl grips, etc.), and I'd like to get rid of the black letters "HD" on the right front of the slide without otherwise harming the finish. (For those unfamiliar with the HD model, it's a matte stainless finish.)

Has anybody done this? It feels like a rough-textured paint, which to me means that it should come off fairly easily. Any and all information/advice is welcome.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Have one in my pocket right now! Curious to see pics of your blinged out one in this thread. Please post or link when possible.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Try some acetone or lacquer thinner on a Q-TIP...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Any chance that could harm the finish of the slide? (Matte stainless.)

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
How do you 2 like your 238 HDs? There's a lightly used one in my hometown that I've been eye balling for a couple weeks. It has the black and grey G10s and I think it looks relly nice. Watched the Hickok45 video and some other reviews and all seem glowing. Kicking around the idea of a pocket pistol and it seems like the 238 would be a great choice. Fun and easy to shoot? It's on the roster in CA and the 938 is not so the 938 usually goes for double the 238. Only downside I see is .380 apparently is a bit pricey compared to 9mm.

And sorry not sure what to do about the lettering. That's probably the only not so appealing thing about the gun. Kind of looks weird.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2444 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Aren’t the letters laser engraved aka burned in?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope SigSauerP226's question gets some responses as I too would love to know what people think of the the little P238HD!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

I don't think so -- you can feel that they're raised up when you run your finger over them.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:

The HD lettering is somehow printed on the right side of the slide.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’m going off memory as I had one years ago.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Any chance that could harm the finish of the slide? (Matte stainless.)

You can technically “harm” the matte finish if you rub the area to vigorously. I have seen guns where people try to clean surface rust off of stainless and basically end up polishing the one section. I think the safest way to do it it to send it to a refinisher and have them bead blast the slide with a fine glass bead. If it is truly printed that should get it off. Might have to run it through the blaster a few times. Reach out to CCR and ask them...they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Might even be able to tel you how the lettering is applied.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Reach out to CCR and ask them...they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Creedence Clearwater Revival? Center for Constitutional Rights?

Sorry, just my smartass way of saying I don't know who CCR is.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
CCR: Cummings Custom Refinishing. Longtime members of this board. You have evidently not been paying attention. Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1760023644

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
CCR: Cummings Custom Refinishing. Longtime members of this board. You have evidently not been paying attention. Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1760023644

Thanks. Yup, I failed the quiz ...

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
How do you 2 like your 238 HDs? There's a lightly used one in my hometown that I've been eye balling for a couple weeks. It has the black and grey G10s and I think it looks relly nice. Watched the Hickok45 video and some other reviews and all seem glowing. Kicking around the idea of a pocket pistol and it seems like the 238 would be a great choice. Fun and easy to shoot? It's on the roster in CA and the 938 is not so the 938 usually goes for double the 238. Only downside I see is .380 apparently is a bit pricey compared to 9mm.

And sorry not sure what to do about the lettering. That's probably the only not so appealing thing about the gun. Kind of looks weird.

Never thought much about the "HD" on the side, but it is indeed a raised lettering if you go by the feel of it. As for "liking" it, I carry it every day that I can't carry a larger gun comfortably and some days when I can. I like the heft of it and I do not feel that it is too much weight for my everyday dress slacks.

And one other thing...it will be the most accurate small pistol you ever shot. Easy to get on target and stay on target.

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the P238 as a small carry pistol, either in the pocket or in an OWB holster. I like it so much that I have three of them: a regular Nitron one, an SAS model, and the HD that I'm blinging out. It's a very comfortable pistol to shoot.

IMO, the "HD" lettering looked OK when the pistol had black controls and grips, but since I went with the pearloid grips and all-stainless controls, it looks really out of place. I'll post a "before" picture when I get a chance, and then an "after" picture once I get done doing whatever I'm going to do to it.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:

...IMO, the "HD" lettering looked OK when the pistol had black controls and grips, but since I went with the pearloid grips and all-stainless controls, it looks really out of place...

OK, I see where you are going with this now. Makes sense. I added the BLACK logo wood grips and the BLACK GGI trigger so the "HD" seemed to blend in nicely.

posted Hide Post
Follow-up -- OK, I never did take a "before" pic, but here's a stock photo from gundata.org:

I sent the slide to Cummings Custom Refinishing to be bead-blasted, and it removed the lettering on the right side nicely.

So the rundown is:
  • all stainless (or "white") controls and pins except the trigger pin
  • Hogue aluminum mainspring housing
  • W Engineering stainless trigger
  • Eagle checkered pearloid grips
  • Robar NP3 finish on the barrel
  • slide bead-blasted by CCR
And voila!

Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
The HD was very deep on your slide. I removed it by hand before it was bead blasted and blended

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
The HD was very deep on your slide. I removed it by hand before it was bead blasted and blended

Thank you very much -- you did an amazing job! Above and beyond!