SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    "Winchester Awarded U.S. Army Contract to Manage and Operate Lake City Army Ammunition Plant"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Winchester Awarded U.S. Army Contract to Manage and Operate Lake City Army Ammunition Plant" Login/Join 
posted
Winchester Awarded U.S. Army Contract to Manage and Operate Lake City Army Ammunition Plant

Sep 27, 2019, 17:36 ET

CLAYTON, Mo., Sept. 27, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Olin Corporation (NYSE: OLN) announced today that its ammunition division, Olin Winchester, LLC ("Winchester"), has been selected by the U.S. Army to operate and manage the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, Missouri. Following a one-year transition period, Winchester will assume full operational control of the Lake City plant on October 1, 2020. The contract has an initial term of seven years and may be extended by the U.S. Army for up to three additional years.

"Winchester is honored to have been selected by the Army to operate, maintain and modernize this unique, strategic asset of the U.S. Government's munitions industrial base," said Brett Flaugher, President of Winchester. "Our team is fully prepared and 100% committed to the safe, reliable, and responsible operation of Lake City, in the best interest of and service to the U.S. Military."

Winchester is one of the world's most recognizable and respected brands. Currently in its 153rd year of operation and 89th year as part of Olin, Winchester is a premier developer and manufacturer of small-caliber ammunition for sale to domestic and international militaries, law enforcement agencies, and commercial distributors and retailers. Winchester has been providing ammunition to the U.S. Military since World War I and is currently the U.S. Army's largest producer of small-caliber ammunition outside of the Lake City plant. Winchester's manufacturing operations are located in East Alton, Illinois and Oxford, Mississippi, with an international distribution facility in Geelong, Victoria, Australia.

ABOUT LAKE CITY

The Lake City plant, which began production in 1941, provides small-caliber military ammunition for both training and combat purposes. Winchester previously operated the Lake City facility from 1985-2000. The plant, encompassing nearly 4,000 acres, also serves as a national and regional test center for ammunition performance and weapons firing.

For information regarding Winchester's Lake City operations visit https://lakecity.winchester.com/ ...

Complete article with company description and more text:

https://www.prnewswire.com/new...plant-300927141.html

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who managed it before ? ATK ?

so now instead of all the Fed XM193 we will see plentiful Q3131 ?

=======================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Who managed it before ? ATK ?

so now instead of all the Fed XM193 we will see plentiful Q3131 ?

=======================

I think the current operator is ATK, which may have been bought out by Northrup Grumman. Olin had the contract 20 years ago.

I have lots of Q3131A (made in Israel, IIRC) in my SHTF pile, do not need any more.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
ATK merged with Orbital Sciences Corporation and became Orbital ATK. That entity was then bought by Northrup Grumman.

Waiting for the contract appeal in 3...2...1....

quote:
so now instead of all the Fed XM193 we will see plentiful Q3131?

My guess, probably "WIN XM193", although I see no reason why the "X" should be in the nomenclature.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post