SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What happened to the thread on AR defense ammo from a few months back?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to the thread on AR defense ammo from a few months back? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
And what did we decide was the best? I remember a good bit back and forth on xm193 and federal fusion. I did a search and didn’t find the thread.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what thread you are talking about, but it depends on what you mean for defense and what kind of rifle you are launching it from. I still prefer to run 20" 1/7" twist barrels, as it allows me to effectively run the widest range of ammo types and have the broadest range of effectiveness. For SHTF the Lake City M193 variants are an excellent choice for keeping a bunch of ammo in bulk. It tends to have superior accuracy to the M885 penetrator, or the newer brown tip M885A1, and the M193 tends to have a more reliable fragmentation window.

For hunting medium game, just about any 60-75gr soft point will work well. However, a good bonded bullet is a superior choice for hunting, as well as what would be considered a "combat" load that defeats commonly encountered barriers better. Examples of such loads would be Federal Fusion, Speer Gold Dots, Nosler Partition, Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded, or Hornady GMX.

I would say that I keep about 50% bulk SHTF ammo on hand, and the other half is special purpose. For instance, I hand load lots of Nosler Partition 60gr for hunting and to have load that serves in a bonded-type bullet role. I also keep some 77gr OTM loads on hand for longer ranged shooting, and 62gr Gold Dots for defense.

Posts: 727 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not this one? It wasn’t about FMJ loads like the M193, but some good discussion.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/8560087164/p/1

But if you are interested in comparing loads like the M193 and those with bonded bullets like the Fusion, keep in mind that they are very different in how they perform on different targets. The M193 FMJ is a good defensive bullet (as are virtually all 223/5.56 bullets except, to a degree, the lightweight varmint killers) if there are no barriers involved. Despite what we might think because it is full metal jacket, it does not penetrate as well as many other expanding bullets like the Fusion or Gold Dot.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Here's the old thread titled "Rethinking M193 for personal defense":

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...40046893&f=630601935

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
Here's the old thread titled "Rethinking M193 for personal defense":

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...40046893&f=630601935

That’s it! Thanks everyone.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post