SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Best 357 Sig carry ammo???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 357 Sig carry ammo??? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all, just picked up a new P229 in 357 Sig. Was wondering what the general consensus is on the best ammo for carry, I did some looking around on YouTube at gel tests and it would seem the Underwood loading of the 125gr gold dot is the highest performer. But all I tend to see on the shelves locally lately is the Sig Elite Performance V-crown. Those seem like they worked pretty well too. Thoughts?

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Just grab some 125gr JHP from a reputable company. Stay away from those lightweight super fast funky rounds.

we're issued winchester ranger so that's all we carry. it's not loaded hot enough in my opinion.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
I've always run Speer Gold dots, 125 gr. There are 2 common versions, one a limited penetration, and a regular version. 54234, and 23918. I have to do some digging to find which was the deep penetrate that I liked.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I too like the Gold Dot higher velocity load, but I suspect all the premier offerings are good.

The …4234 is the higher velocity load that I refer to as “standard” (2 as the first digit of the number is for 20 round boxes, 5 is for 50 round boxes). 53972 is also reported to be a standard velocity load with the same specs as 54234, but I have never seen it.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Gold Dots. That’s what I carry.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the 125 grain Federal HST jhp in my 239

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Dots. Period. End of story. Nothing else is needed.

No seriously. Speer Gold Dot stuff is top notch in every caliber IMHO.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on where to order the 54324 gold dots? All I’m seeing online are the lower velocity ones. And a big thanks to everyone’s input!

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harperdr1:
Any recommendations on where to order the 54324 gold dots?

Target Barn claims to have it:

https://www.targetbarn.com/spe...-of-125-grain-hp.php

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some gold dot, but I usually carry Sig Vcrown in .357 Sig.

Gold Dots are good in each of the 9mm offerings, and good in .357 Sig. Their performance is not the best in some other chamberings, including .45 acp. I like Gold Dots, and have carried them and even reloaded with them, for 25+ years, but they're not the be-all and end-all.

Vcrown is a lot easier to get, and a lot less expensive, and for me at least, it's been reliable and functional, and for stuffing several pistols and magazines, I use the vcrown.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I use Underwood Ammo. They use bonded speer gold dot bullets. Velocity should be close to 1,500 fps out of a pistol that size.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
I carry the 125 grain Federal HST jhp in my 239

Yep.

Posts: 7313 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/357-sig-gel-test/

Not all the responses in this thread are listed, but most are. Numbers, pictures, and graphs.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cookand
posted Hide Post
Another fan of 125 grain Gold dots. I’ve been using Underwood for many years now. Top quality imo

-----------
War Eagle!!

Posts: 367 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was policing, we carried P226 in 357SIG. We used the Speer Gold Dot 125.

I can attest to them working. I was once attacked by a 75# Rottweiler and one round went thru it from chest to rump. He changed his mind midair as he was jumping toward me. Was dead within a few minutes. One shot from about ten feet.

I was given my duty gun when I retired, the corporal gave me two boxes of ammo too. I don’t carry it anymore, but I’m sold on the gold dot.

I’ve shot about a 50 deer with them (gold dot) to put them down due to wrecks. But those were headshots and any round would work.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
125gr Gold Dots in my 229, Glock 31 and Glock 32.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tds-us shows it in stock at $36 for 50 rounds, that's a pretty strong buy.

Posts: 1620 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
My thought is, that I would trust (almost) any factory loaded cartridges in any of my 357 Sig pistols to

win the fight.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig-nature
posted Hide Post
Federal HST followed by Gold Dots for me.
I have had some funky issues with Winchester BJHP, so I am a little tainted against those.
Hornady critical Duty and Sig v-crowns would be decent too. I am probably in the minority that wouldn't use Underwood...

It is only through labor and prayerful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things in life… Speak softly but carry a big stick.."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 586 | Location: Pa. | Registered: April 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cookand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig-nature:
Federal HST followed by Gold Dots for me.
I have had some funky issues with Winchester BJHP, so I am a little tainted against those.
Hornady critical Duty and Sig v-crowns would be decent too. I am probably in the minority that wouldn't use Underwood...

Any particular reason you wouldn't use Underwood?

-----------
War Eagle!!

Posts: 367 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post