SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund:
Thanks for the time you took to post that opinion. Especially the part about those complaining about it not knowing what someone gave for said ammo before attempting to sell it. And them requesting the ad be pulled may be depriving another member who is woefully short on brass 9mm from obtaining some, price be damned.

At this point in time, with Trump having not conceded and Biden's team not yet installed with the unknown that that may bring, I personally would not be willing to part with my 9mm at that price. Mostly because I couldn't replenish it for less. $35 per box of 50 is below market value in my neck of the woods. Maybe grab a box here and 2 there I could do it but I have no desire to be at Academy and stand in line to be limited on boxes.
bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

This is why I reported the thread and didn’t comment in it. It’s not my place to determine if the sale is within the rules or not. It appears he recently bought the ammo and if that’s true then it’s very possible that he’s not making a profit on it.

Regardless it’s a much higher than normal price and historically that’s been frowned upon here.

quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
And them requesting the ad be pulled...

I didn’t request that the ad gets pulled. I simply reported it, which is just pointing it out to the mods. What they decide to do from there is up to them.

And FWIW in the 12 years I’ve been here I bet I could count on one hand how many threads I’ve reported. It’s not a feature I use often.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
This is why I reported the thread and didn’t comment in it.

I spend a lot of time reading posts on the forum and have obviously been a member for a long time.

When I started here I would have never guessed that I would end up learning as much, if not more, about human nature and others’ attitudes and beliefs as I have about guns and shooting, but that’s what happened. Some of what I’ve learned about guns and my fellow human beings has changed my opinions, and much has not changed my opinions or has even reinforced what I believed before. The only things that have changed my opinions, though, were obviously the ones that challenged what I believed or what I believed I knew. As another consequence I believe I’ve become more open-minded and willing to listen to and consider those challenges.

None of that means I don’t still have strong opinions about many things that it would take a lot to change. As I say, part of that’s because I’ve had to examine them in light of challenges and therefore I could be more certain that I’m right and that I know why I’m right. As long as people present their opinions in a rational and respectful manner—and they’re not simply restatements of things I’ve heard and considered countless times before—I’m genuinely pleased to have something new to think about.

And one of the reasons I haven’t transgressed the clearly stated and implied rules badly enough to be shown the door like so many others over the years is because I have always paid attention to what the owners and moderators, but primarily parabellum, say here. One of the things that he has explicitly stated is that members should use the “report this post” feature if they believe it’s appropriate. He has also specifically reacted strongly against people who were believed to be taking advantage of temporary (or permanent) shortages to ask outrageous prices for the things they offer for sale here.

Turning to this specific issue, I believe it should be obvious to anyone who is familiar with all that what the basis of your concern was and why you decided to report it. You don’t need my approval for anything you decide to do, but for whatever it’s worth I do understand it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sigh RODEO <> FIRST TIME.

Will not be the last either.

It’s a volatile world at the moment. TP, PT, Ammo, Turkey gravy.....it’s all hard to come by. Hunker down, Batton your hatches and ride out the storm and then prepare for the next one.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
He has also specifically reacted strongly against people who were believed to be taking advantage of temporary (or permanent) shortages to ask outrageous prices for the things they offer for sale here.

I do get yelled at fairly frequently by Para. And I'm not always convinced I'm wrong, but I do understand his need to keep order. Back to the issue at hand. I don't sell stuff here. Or nearly anywhere for that matter. So you can bury any idea of me selling to be greedy. But what a fair price is will be open to debate. I don't want to negotiate, so If you don't like my price, take a hike. If you want what I've got, either pay the price or take the hike.

During times of shortage, and we've got one right now, primer prices are in flux. Just asking a little "too much" might be reasonable. You could even view it as a public service to make otherwise unobtainable stuff available. Its probably unreasonable to ask the Forum to police pricing and to keep stuff at last years price. If a price is lower than current retail its probably the definition of reasonable. If you want an even lower price, take a hike.

I foolishly don't follow the classifieds. Too much controversy. I prefer to sell at gun shows where there is no heavy hand determining what is unreasonable. Or every snitch in creation just looking to tattle. No one likes a tattle tale.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I’m usually pretty confident that I can determine the reasons for the rules here, I don’t really know the reason for the long-standing rule against asking “excessive” prices for items for sale. It could be the very common reaction to “profiteering” on a personal level, it could be because certain things lead to resentments by certain members regardless of what one’s personal opinion is and that leads to other problems, or perhaps some combination of the two.

I have read an economic analysis of the excessive profits thing that makes a strong case for why they shouldn’t be restricted or regulated, and I agree with the argument in many—albeit not all—situations. Unfortunately, however, the issue isn’t simply a matter of economic rationality, and emotions virtually always override reason.

Merely because I understand what sorts of things get people upset and lead to forum fights doesn’t mean that I necessarily agree with all of them. I learned long ago that there are other hot button issues that must be avoided regardless of my own opinions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post