SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    22 Long rifle squib shots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Long rifle squib shots Login/Join 
Picture of rwilli
posted
Just a quick question for anyone in the know: While using factory ammo/CCI in my Ruger Mk IV, I had 5 squib/low power discharges within 5 magazine loads. One even stayed in the barrel. My question is: Can a mechanical problem with the pistol, such as light strike, cause insufficient primer/powder burn in 22 LR. Note: After about 40 rounds and a good cleaning, everything has ran fine.

Any info would be appreciated.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can’t answer the question definitively, but I do believe it’s within the realm of possibility.

I say that because long ago when revolvers were the kings of handguns, it was common to reduce mainspring power (especially in S&W models) to lighten the double action trigger pull weight. It was necessary to be careful to not lighten it too much and end up with light strike misfires, but it was easily possible to lighten the pull and still get reliable ignition. At one point, though, I ran across a study that looked into whether a lighter, but still reliable, firing pin strike could affect accuracy (or “precision” as it’s called today).

The study found that was what happened. As I recall, the study used the very accurate revolvers that fired light loads in common competitions of the day. It was found that lighter firing pin strikes resulted in velocity variations that were enough to degrade accuracy at the longer distances.

I don’t recall seeing anything further on the question ever since, but long range competitions with handguns that demand a high degree of accuracy have largely fallen out of favor, and with the handguns commonly used today it’s not possible to reduce the trigger pull weight by adjusting a screw as it is with S&W revolvers. Nevertheless, I believe the study demonstrated that firing pin impact force can affect how well the primers ignite the powder charge. One would think that it would be an all or nothing situation; i.e., either the charge goes off completely or it doesn’t go off at all, but maybe not.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47554 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interested to read and learn more on this topic. Thanks OP for sharing what happened and the post cleaning results.

Posts: 3289 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback and insight.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Interested to read and learn more on this topic. Thanks OP for sharing what happened and the post cleaning results.

Your welcome. I ran another 40 rounds through it this morning and with zero malfunctions. So I am thinking the pistol just needed a good cleaning and some break in time.

Samuel Adams