SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    9MM Carbine ammo preference
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9MM Carbine ammo preference Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted
Have a couple of cases of NATO ball to carry me over. Any body have a favorite social 9MM brand they prefer to feed their PCC? I plugged Carbine in Ammoseek and found 135 Grain Gold Dot carbine. The IMI Uzi stuff is long gone.

Posts: 838 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I have used the Winchester Q4318 NATO ball as my general range/plinking ammo for many years. This, in all my 9mms, to include the Marlin Camp9. Functions reliably in all of them. Never had a problem with the NATO.

NRA Life

Posts: 1576 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Citadel - When I am not shooting my reloads I shoot the Blazer 115gr FMJ brass case round. I bought up several cases when they were on sale for $240.00 per thousand at my local Academy Outdoors.

I will guess I have shot at least 4000 rounds of this specific ammo and I have not had a single FTF or FTE. I do clean my PPC AR about every 400-500 rounds.

Posts: 3326 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
Have a couple of cases of NATO ball to carry me over. Any body have a favorite social 9MM brand they prefer to feed their PCC? I plugged Carbine in Ammoseek and found 135 Grain Gold Dot carbine. The IMI Uzi stuff is long gone.
I run IMI 124 gr Nato in my UZI and Sterling smgs.

Posts: 97 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
The IMI 124 NATO that MGMAN45 mentions is also excellent in carbines, and 9mms in general. I used it in years past, but no longer know of a source.

FWIW, in chronographing the IMI NATO is a variety of 9mm firearms, I found the IMI NATO velocity averaged 3%-5% higher than the Winchester Q4318 NATO.

NRA Life

Posts: 1576 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stick with the Winchester NATO ball for my two 9mm carbines, and have zero complaints.

Posts: 6706 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BearBio:
Pretty much the same as my Glock 17: 147 gr hollow points or hardball. Keep 147 XTPs for home defense. Ruger PC9.

It probably depends on the carbine but my Ruger PC9 shoots anything I load in the mags. Agree with Bear.

Posts: 990 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have been using S&B 124 FMJ in all my PCC guns and have zero issues.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW the Speer reloading manual recommends against using 147 grain projectiles in barrels over 10 inches.

I have shot american eagle 147 GR TMJ in my Ruger PC-9 and had 2 FTEs with it. It shot 115gr FMJs fine.

Posts: 4754 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Federal 9MS 147-grain JHP works perfectly in the 1-10" twist, 16" barrel on the AR-15 carbine I use. It is stuff in the white boxes that Federal sells to police agencies. It can be hard to find at times. The profile of the bullet has changed. It looks more like what Federal uses in the HST ammo. The primers are sealed in the same way. However, it isn't listed as being bonded.

The Federal American Eagle 147-grain FMJ flat nose shares the same point of impact. The 147-grainers hit the plates with authority. :-) So does the Winchester NATO 124-grain FMJ, but I am a brass scrounger too lazy to get the crimped primers processed.

Posts: 42 | Location: eastern Kansas | Registered: April 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gas226
posted Hide Post
Blazer 115… does the job for practice.. my pcc used to love Tula specially for the price. For competition syntec.. but over priced if you ask me.

Posts: 435 | Location: Miami | Registered: August 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When not shooting my reloads I use Fiocchi or S&B 124 grain fmj. Not hard to get. Never an issue w/ my Sten or Soumi.

Posts: 4129 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Georgia-Arms 9MM Luger 124GR FMJ NATO Canned Heat, mostly. Always good.

I've had Federal Syntech malfunctions in PCC's and pistols during practice and matches.

quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
FWIW the Speer reloading manual recommends against using 147 grain projectiles in barrels over 10 inches.

Does the Speer manual say how 147's fail?

Edited to add:

"Speer does not recommend the use of 147gr bullets for 9mm PCC reloading. This is probably due to most PCCs being a blowback action ala Hi-Point with the bolt pushing against a heavy weight, and NOT a locked breech like most 9mm pistols where the slide and barrel travel backwards, briefly, locked together, until pressure can drop to a safe level. If the action opens before the pressure has dropped to a safe level the cartridge could blow out like a super Glock bulge volcano. This is more likely to happen with heavier slow bullets and slow powders developing significant pressure for a longer time. That said, Loadbooks USA's reloading data for 9mm, has at least two sections of 9mm rifle data. 147gr bullets can be pushed to 950 to 1,000 fps by several powders.
This is a late reply so hopefully you still have both eyes and your face is unscarred."

https://www.rugerforum.net/thr...m-pc-carbine.377749/

Posts: 16161 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reloading for a 9mm carbine with a longer barrel is indeed tricky because most of the powders for 9mm reloading burn fast. Even the slower-burning 9mm powders burn fast compared to powders for magnum revolver rounds such as the .357 and all the faster, typical rifle powders. One might get lower velocities in a 16" 9mm barrel compared to a 4" pistol barrel. A faster 10" twist would add more resistance particularly with a longer, heavier bullet. Then, with a blow-back 9mm like my AR-15, there are variables such as buffer and bolt weights paired with various springs. These are topics best discussed in the reloading forum.

I've thought about getting a shorter barrel for the carbine. However, it seems pointless paying the fee and waiting for the ATF to process it. With the Federal 147-grain JHPs, the 16" only logs about 60 fps faster than the P320C with the 3.9" barrel.

When I take new factory ammunition out I've never used before, I'm sure going to see if the bullet comes out of the muzzle before I crank off more out of the magazine. Then I'll chronograph it when checking the groups. Reloading manuals have to be written for broad audiences, some with little common sense and a huge need to call trial lawyers when they fail to think and get hurt.

Posts: 42 | Location: eastern Kansas | Registered: April 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post