SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    9mm 124 grain HST HP or 124 grain Gold DOT HP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm 124 grain HST HP or 124 grain Gold DOT HP Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I am limited to these two rounds. Based on that, what would be your choice and why? The pistols of choice will be a SIG P228, Glock 19 Gen 3 and a Beretta Nano. Pricing is not an issue as there is only a $2 difference per box of 50.

Thanks!

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Whichever is more reliable in your gun. If there is no difference in reliability, then go to the most accurate.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Splitting hairs pretty much.

Assuming both are equally reliable in your gun I would go with the bonded GDHP.

But I wouldn't lose any sleep either way.

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Standard pressure GDHP has issues with expansion in short barrels. The HST standard pressure does a bit better.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the hst and Gd plus p in the 228 and g 19. Nicer an issue in either pistol in thousands of rounds fired

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both excellent rounds.
I have fired cases of each in 9mm pistols with zero issues.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have watched a dozen videos on each of them in ballistic gel. While that does not make me an expert, I am sold on the HST and it is always in my carry guns; 250sc, 320sc, DW ECO9, SIG 220 Carry, & DW CCO.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say you'd be fine with either. Personally, I might lean more towards HST, especially if it's standard pressure. More of a toss-up with +P. FWIW, I use 147gr HST.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I will buy some of each and try them out and then make a decision based upon how I shoot each type and, of course, functionality. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either round which is good to know.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Splitting hairs pretty much.

Assuming both are equally reliable in your gun I would go with the bonded GDHP.

But I wouldn't lose any sleep either way.

-------------------------
+ one!

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Standard pressure? Slight edged to HST. Especially out of a short barrel.
+p? Pretty much equal.

Both are well engineered, well tested projectiles. Either will serve you well.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have been using Gold Dots in every caliber for over a decade. Last few years I have been moving to HST. Not that they may be any better, but they have just been cheaper and easier to find. Both function fine in every pistol I have used them in.

So I would go with the one that is easier to obtain, assuming it works reliably in your chosen pistol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Have any of you have any experience with the new HST 150 grain Micro?

I just went to Walmart and was surprised they actually carried HSTs, so I picked up a box of the Micros.

I currently carry standard pressure 147gr HSTs as the reviews seems to be one of the best out of any barrel length.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post