SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    UZI 9mm black tips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UZI 9mm black tips Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted
Anybody know the specs on this 115gr fmj stuff? I found two boxes that I've had for over 25 years and I'm wondering if it's any hotter than regular 115gr stuff.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are many discussions about the ammunition on the Internet, with comments ranging from, “Don’t you dare shoot it in a handgun,” to “The recoil is noticeably greater.” The consensus is that it’s hotter than most such ammunition.

Although I didn’t try to determine it myself, it may have some collector appeal now.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
It is a little warmer than most major US manufacture commercial ammo. Back the '80s, I occasionally ran across the IMI 115 grain black tip "carbine" 9MM for sale in the blue and white boxes under the Eagle or Samson name. I used, and chronographed it, in several different 9MM firearms. There were no issues whatsoever during my use of the IMI black tip ammo. Some random chronograph notes from back then indicate the black tip IMI averaged 1214 FPS in a 4" pistol, 1249 Fps in a 4.7", 1268 Fps in a 5" barrel, and 1430 FPS in a 16" carbine. If in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any 9MM pistol, revolver or carbine I currently own.....ymmv

BTW, there was also a brown/maroon tip version available. I bought and chronographed some of that too. No significant difference in the two types I tested.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Now it's coming back to me. I did have an Uzi from Action Arms that I sold back in the 90's. The ammo boxes are marked for carbine use. Wonder what else I've forgotten?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post