SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Is all 9mm 147 grain sub sonic fired out of 16 inch barrel PCC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is all 9mm 147 grain sub sonic fired out of 16 inch barrel PCC Login/Join 
posted
Title says it all. If I fire standard 147 grain 9mm from a suppressed 16 inch barrel PCC - in my case a Keltec Sub 2k - will it remain subsonic? Tried a google search but did not find a clear answer. Thanks

Posts: 565 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Probably, but it'll be close.

147 grain 9mm gains ~100 fps going from a 4" handgun barrel to a 16" rifle barrel.

Most 147 grain 9mm is doing 1000 FPS or a bit less out of a 4" test barrel.

So 1000ish + 100ish means that should still be subsonic (a bit below 1125), even out of a 16" barrel. But some loads might just cross over the threshold of being supersonic at the muzzle.

Posts: 32798 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ballistics by the inch fired Federal 147 grain Hydra-shoks out of a Keltec and recorded a mv of 1086. That is about 40 FPS below the speed of sound (assuming sea level, standard day). I would guess that some rounds would be supersonic due to manufacturing variations. link

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1541 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual, Rogue beats me to the punch Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1541 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 32798 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow! you guys are good! Appreciate the responses. I was just going to buy a case of 147 but maybe I will start with just a few boxes and see how it goes.

So next question. Is there any 9mm designed to be subsonic from a 16 inch PCC?

Posts: 565 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
There are some 158gr offering out there that would reliably stay subsonic out of a 16” barrel. I bought a case of this a few years back; I’m still slowly shooting through that case, no issues with it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I started looking around and I found this link 165 grain FMJ offering made by Ammo Inc. I don't know anything about this ammo or manufacturer, but it should definitely stay subsonic.

posted Hide Post
I was not even aware these heavier weight rounds existed. Going o get a few boxes of each if i can find them and try them all out. In a perfect world the 147 grain will stay subsonic, at least that's my hope.

Appreciate the responses.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I haven’t tried that brand of 165 but my Hush 165 ammo is pretty quiet but doesn’t reliably cycle. I have had good luck with fiocchi 158gr in my pccs.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8101 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I may be able to help with a few clear answers with some heavier bullets. Velocities vary in individual guns, but in my 16" carbine the following factory rounds produced the listed chronographed velocities: Standard pressure Speer 147 Gold Dot= 1001 FPS, Speer LAWMAN 147= 1143 FPS, Federal HST 147+P= 950 FPS, IMI 158 grain= 891 FPS. These all cycled reliably in my Marlin Camp Carbine.

NRA Life

Posts: 1569 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very helpful. Thanks

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have had god luck with the Fiocchi 158 gr out of my Ruger PCC. It cycles fine.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post