SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    RWS 12 gauge frangible copper slug suitable for home defense?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS 12 gauge frangible copper slug suitable for home defense? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
How good is this stuff for home defense? I originally picked up several boxes at my LGS (Not Dicks) for a very good price with the intent of just shooting it with the boys. Now that I’ve done some research, I’m wondering if this might be a good round for use in home defense situations. So, I thought I would see what the brain trust thought. Thx.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My question is “good” in what way(s)?

To poke a hole in a bad guy, it’s probably fine. I suspect, though, that you’re also referring to whether the slug would break up rather than perforate building materials to minimize collateral damage. Based on what little information I found with a quick search, those copper matrix projectiles aren’t all that frangible when they hit things like sheet rock or wood. They disintegrate nicely when hitting steel or concrete, but without further testing I don’t believe I’d depend upon them to not go through a wall and severely injure or kill someone on the other side.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My question is “good” in what way(s)?

To poke a hole in a bad guy, it’s probably fine. I suspect, though, that you’re also referring to whether the slug would break up rather than perforate building materials to minimize collateral damage. Based on what little information I found with a quick search, those copper matrix projectiles aren’t all that frangible when they hit things like sheet rock or wood. They disintegrate nicely when hitting steel or concrete, but without further testing I don’t believe I’d depend upon them to not go through a wall and severely injure or kill someone on the other side.

Good question. I meant both, SD and safety (disintegration).

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post