SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Are these Black Talons?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these Black Talons? Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Cleaning up some of my gear and found these rounds. Marked 9mm WIN on the case.

Are these the "EVIL" Black Talon's?
They look cool.

Only one is Nickel cased and the other are brass cased.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1052 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes.
I see, though, that at least one case has an “FC” (Federal Cartridge) headstamp, so I can only assume that it’s some sort of reload.
In addition, in the first photo the cartridge that’s lying down and the third one from the left seem to have different style bullets. It’s hard to tell, though. Are they all the same?

As for their evilness, it’s been widely reported that the current Winchester SXT bullet is the “same exact thing” as the Black Talon, but without the black coating and of course a kinder, gentler name. The bullet design may have been improved somewhat as well based on some of what I’ve seen claimed.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47631 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
The one lying down and one of the ones standing up with a blue hue are Federal Nyclad.

Posts: 632 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobaru:
The one lying down and one of the ones standing up with a blue hue are Federal Nyclad.

Ah: That explains it, and now that you do, I can only say, "Oh, yeah."

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47631 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the Winchester pieces of brass looks like the primer leaked before it was reloaded.

Posts: 408 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Black Talon (S9MM) bullet was loaded into a nickel case. The brass cased Talons are probably Winchester’s Ranger series that were sold as the 9mm Ranger SXT (RA9SXT) Law Enforcement Ammunition. The most obvious difference between the Talon and the RA9SXT ammo was a nickel vs. brass case.

The bullet used in the later Ranger series is essentially a Talon bullet with some design changes. The most obvious is the lack of the black Lubalox coating on the copper jacket, and they also appear to have a larger hollow point cavity.

Posts: 94 | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, the Nyclad. Federal 124 grain hollowpoint. The first 9mm ammunition I ever bought. Too bad Federal discontinued it long ago.

And the Black Talon. Winchester's "death" bullet. Ooo, so scary. Razz

Posts: 108898 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Eek

Posts: 1093 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to hold on to one of each for my ammo display.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1052 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21313 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 6 to 8 boxes of Ranger T 40 S&W in a pantry in the hall next to my bedroom. At the time I bought them they were the only Defensive load that fed reliably in my then new XDM. Anyhow those bullets have been there since 2008 and not a single one ever got up and shot me while I was sleeping. So the question is, do those cartridges like me for they just simple cartridges with no evil at all within them.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post