SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Old 357 Mag Ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old 357 Mag Ammo Login/Join 
posted
I just found a box in the garage with 50 pounds of ammo, shot shells, rimfire, old black powder and stuff not used in 50 years including some lead nose hollow point 357 mag. The lead shows corrosion and it feels sandy to the touch. Can I take some emery cloth and try and clean them up or it there a better way ? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would start with something less abrasive, such as wiping the bullets with a piece of rough cloth like canvas. As long as the bullets aren’t contaminated with dirt or other grit, they wouldn’t have to be pristine pretty.

I don’t know what gun you plan to shoot them in, and it probably doesn’t matter, but I would not be surprised if they leaded the bore pretty badly. When I bought a Ruger 357 Magnum revolver some 50+ years ago along with a box of similar ammo, I couldn’t figure out why the accuracy was horrible after about 20-30 rounds. When I checked the bore, I couldn’t see the rifling due to leading. And getting it cleaned out was an … experience. Roll Eyes

Added: In rereading your post, perhaps I misunderstood. If they are semijacketed hollow points, then there is obviously no reason to worry about leading the bore.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was worrying about leading the bore and they are semi-jacketed. But what about a little "Flitz" or similar in the canvas to offer a little more grit but cleaner ? I bought the cartridges when I bought my Security Six way long time ago, the casing looks great BTW.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If they are semijacketed, the lead should not touch the bore and cause problems.
I don’t know if Flitz or something similar might help. It’s a pretty fine abrasive, so I couldn’t predict.

One thing I caution about using metal polishes around ammunition is to avoid using them on the cases—at least based on one experience I had. Long ago shortly after getting my first 44 Magnum revolver I thought it would be cool to polish the ammo to a nice bright finish. For whatever reason, those cases were extremely difficult to eject from the cylinder after firing.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies sigfreund, I'll just try and rub off the surface corrosion.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd just rub them a little cleaner with a clean cloth, if you want. They'll probably be fine as they are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just do that. The grit is what worries me. Thanks for the help.