SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Problem with Surefire SOCOM 556 QD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Surefire SOCOM 556 QD Login/Join 
posted
Did a pre range fit only my 5.56 to check alignment. Tried to get it off before the range but the locking ring simply won't budge. It was not fired so it isn't carbon. Any suggestions? They should make a tool for the DQ like SIG does. Help

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kroil.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
I agree with "Kroil". Muzzle down, keep applying, let sit for hours or overnight then try heat and a strap wren h while pressing the latch or whatever your Socom uses for QD. I had one AAC 90 tooth I must have ratch9one click too much and after twisting the suppreszor and flash hider off (Roksett then I used red loctite) I just sent it back to AAC. They got it apart, gave me a new flash hider and did an unexpected re-Cerakote and I had it back in under a week from when they received it. I've heard food things about SureFire and we always had gread CS from them when I bought their flashlights for the fire station.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
Did a pre range fit only my 5.56 to check alignment. Tried to get it off before the range but the locking ring simply won't budge. It was not fired so it isn't carbon.

You're not the Lone Ranger here. This occurs on an ongoing basis with my SOCOM -- most recently, last weekend. When I bought it from the LGS, the shop owner said I should expect a few can removal issues down the road.

When the can was warm and I swapped it from one upper to the next, no issues.

When the can was cold, and after a number a rounds with the second upper, the darn thing didn't want to come off. For me, it just seems that the release button for the locking ring doesn't want to budge. Wiggling the suppressor sometimes helps. Shooting a couple rounds to warm up the can sometimes helps. I've even seen some guys gently (gently !!) tap the can with a rubber mallet.

I admit it is kind of a pain in the neck. But the good news is that once the SOCOM can is on the rifle, it ain't moving. And POI shifts are non-existent.

Posts: 7847 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post