SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Griffin Recce 5
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griffin Recce 5 Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Anyone have an opinion on it? Or Griffin in general?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Grffin M4SDK, and one of their A2 birdcage adapters in the back of my YHM TurboK. The M4SDK performs very well, in sound and flash reduction, for it's size. It is my 2nd favorite silencer (that I own), behind my RC2. Grffin in general gets a seemingly well-deserved (and seemingly regular) ribbing on the internet. Their reactions to criticism can be a bit ridiculous (that I have seen). The M4SD in particular gets mocked as a KAC NT4 ripoff, which I guess it is. I am not sorry that it cops the NT4 aesthetic; I like the look. I think the GP-NATO silencer was not well-received either, as folks perceived it as both a ripoff of the Gemtech Halo (which it largely is) and outdated, in terms of the mount interface.

The Recce 5 is a good-looking silencer. A lot of companies these days are making their cans look kind of dumb, IMO; I don't care for little angular flourishes on the tube. If it performs like my M4SDK, then it's a good performer too. I am fairly certain the two cans shared a baffle stack, at pone point or other. I have had mine for a few years, so a current-production Recce is likely going to be even better.

I am a sucker for the NATO mount functionality. I have two HALOs, the M4SDK, and the Griffin adapter in my Turbo. I am glad they are making silencers that mount this way, and adapters (Halo-style and gate-style) with which to adapt other silencers. I don't have experience with the "taper-lok", which is what the Recce uses.

Don't you have and use Surefire silencers?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m happy with mine. I got a Mod 3 a few years ago and earlier this year sent it back to be upgraded with the current Mod 4 baffles.

I like GA’s taper mounts and they have a large selection of mounts in a variety of thread pitches. Most of my cans are Griffin, and for those that aren’t, I have their Plan A adapters to be able to use their mounts. The only exception is my OSS HX-QD556, which only uses their proprietary mounts. Also like that they offer services to upgrade the baffle stacks of various cans to the latest generation of baffles, which are lower back pressure.

No experience with their new Dual Lok mounting system, which seems to be similar to Keymo to me. I’ll stick with taper mount because I don’t want to invest in another mounting system.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

Don't you have and use Surefire silencers?

I do. I also have AAC. But, I originally got sucked down a rabbit hole with Griffin on the GPN because I like the idea of throwing it over a A2 birdcage. For the money (especially the LE pricing) I think the Recce 5 falls in the same pricing range as the Aero can and the Gemtech Trek 2.

Tell me more about the mounting system for the birdcage. Are there more suppressors that will work with a standard A2?

The ability to mount to an A2 would go well with my FSB fetish.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using the Griffin gate or collar adapter, you can render any 1.375x24 silencer A2-mountable. The Gemtech Halo, Griffin GPN, Griffin M4SD, and B&T Rotex are all A2 or NATO mounted.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what he’s talking about.

https://www.griffinarmament.co...-375x24-suppressors/

https://www.griffinarmament.co...-interface-1-375x24/

Note that these won’t work with a Recce 5. It’s built in taper lock only, not a hub rear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So which suppressor do you guys recommend that will be compatible with the A2? On a 16 inch FSB gun?

www.opspectraining.com

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I didn't reply before because the other guys answered your questions, but I can at least tell you what I did about that same question.

I have a Griffin Explorr 224 taper mount in jail. Shortly after I got that going, I thought some more about my mount situation and realized I didn't necessarily want to put a taper mount on every 5.56 gun, and I got an Otter Creek Polonium thrown in jail to keep the Griffin company while we all waited it out. It's a 1.37x24 thread on the back, so I can add the taper mount adapter Dwill linked and use it on my taper mount rifles, and I can also get Griffin's Cage Lok adapter and put it on A2 equipped rifles. That's exactly what I plan to do.

Otter Creek has a rabid fanboi base, but looking at their stuff objectively, the performance was there, the weight is good, and the price was right at $500, so I went for it. They also stand behind their stuff and have a very no-bullshit way of relating with customers, so that was encouraging. There's other great options, but that's what I went with. Someone will likely tell you to just get a Dead Air can. I suggest you don't.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So which suppressor do you guys recommend that will be compatible with the A2? On a 16 inch FSB gun?
Probably the Griffin M4SDK. I say that having experience with it and the Halo. You can easily get away with the "K" on that 16" barrel, and I think the gate lock is superior to the Halo collar. I wish I could say something more on the B&T Rotex, but I just don't have the real-world experience with it. A friend is waiting on his approval, on a Rotex. I know they represent a good value, in a hard-use can, and B&T has a pretty rich history in silencer manufacturing. They're likely good.

One thing to keep in mind, when it comes to adding a 1.375x24 gate or collar A2 adapter to some other can, is the added length. My TurboK ended up just right, but a regular Turbo would have been a big boy, once that adapter was installed.

posted Hide Post
Right now, the only 5.56 Gate Lok can GA has in stock is the M4SD-L. I suspect the -K and II models have been temporarily pulled for revamping with GA’s new reduced blowback Eco Flo baffles. The -L already has the new baffles. Personally, I don’t really care to spend time trying to tune DI ARs, so any future cans for me are going to be reduced blowback. Wish I had waited for YHM to release the RB version of their Turbo K, because the previous one is quite gassy.

posted Hide Post
The B&T rotex is hard to get info on. I talked to griffin who is their direct competitor of course however they discussed the weight and build with me. I wanted A2 compatibility and went with their 30sdk just because I like the versatility over the reduction in sound. While it seems odd to discuss with a direct competitor I will say I think griffin can be objective in their discussions on comparisons and again very little info on the B&Ts and their customer service is not very responsive. I hate linking to the youtube but they have a comparison that seems pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93e-E8dU-E

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see the new M4SD doesn't have the same NT4 aesthetic as the older one.

posted Hide Post
I liked the older styling for sure.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jljones, what did you decide on?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I got sidetracked. Filled out the LE paperwork for Griffen last night. Probably will go with the K because of the mounting system.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I got sidetracked. Filled out the LE paperwork for Griffen last night. Probably will go with the K because of the mounting system.

Which “K”? The Recce 5K or the M4SD-K?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I don’t know. The Recce is lighter. The SD-K uses the A2.

Recce is $200 cheaper. But, I got into this wanting something A2 compatible.

Decisions, decisions.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I don’t know. The Recce is lighter. The SD-K uses the A2.

Recce is $200 cheaper. But, I got into this wanting something A2 compatible.

Decisions, decisions.

Looks like the SD-K now has the new Eco-flow baffles, according to the GA web site. That’s a plus.

Also noticed that the Utility mount Explorr .224 is on sale over at GA for $669. It comes with the taper mount, but it’s a HUB can, so you can also use GA’s A2 or Gate Loc adapters (although those add to the price, since those get sold separately). I’d get an Explorr before a Recce 5K, personally.

posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that an A2 adapter in the back of a HUB can adds to the OAL a good bit.

A short HUB can with the A2 adapter works out pretty good. My TurboK with the A2 is a decent setup.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post