SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Specwar 556 on 8.9" barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Specwar 556 on 8.9" barrel? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted
Silencer co says Specwar 556 is ok on a 8.9" barrel. Anyone running one on a shorter barrel?

I just picked up a SIG 553 SB with a barrel length of 8.9". Would love to suppress it but Silencer co says 10.5" is the shortest barrel to use? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Looks like most suppressors use the 10" minimum barrel as their recommendation? Anyone know a suppressor that will work with a 5.66 and an 8.9" barrel?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Rugged, most of their stuff doesn't have barrel length restrictions...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure fire Socom556 SB2. Looks to be made specifically for barrels shorter than 10 inches.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Griffen Armament Alpha/Paladin...I have one on a 7.5” piston SBR AR. Works great but gets searing hot after 2 mags!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say go for it. I have a SAN553SB, a 552 clone, and a P556 that i use silencers on more often than not. I use an AAC M4-2000, Griffin M4SDK, Gemtech Halo, and Halo GMT. The M4-2000 is the oldest of the bunch, and does have damage to the blast baffle. The others are fine, but will likely wear over time. As stated in another post, i am sure the Surefire silencers can handle it all day, but you may not be keen on getting another can right now. I say use the one you have. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about unless you are going to put a ton of rounds through that setup.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys! Definitely saved me some time and research.

quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
Take a look at Rugged, most of their stuff doesn't have barrel length restrictions...

Yeah they have some good stuff. definitely going on the wish list.

quote:
Griffen Armament Alpha/Paladin...I have one on a 7.5” piston SBR AR. Works great but gets searing hot after 2 mags!

Looks good too!

quote:
Sure fire Socom556 SB2. Looks to be made specifically for barrels shorter than 10 inches.

Would love one if i could find one in stock.

Well I have been wanting another can. Preferably a K can. Gotta have a shorty with the short barrel.

Also looking at OSS which has no minimum barrel length restrictions. I'm a lefty so the OSS can would help with the gas issues we lefties have to endure.

It is interesting some suppressors have no issues with minimum barrel restrictions and other are limited to 10" barrels. I guess I don't get what the difference is between these cans that would make them perform so differently?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An OSS would likely be ideal. If i could turn back time, i'd invest in an OSS for sure. I think there is legitimate merit in the flow-through designs. Other companies are making "low backpressure" silencers nowadays though, which may also be worth a look. As far as the barrel restrictions go, i think Griffin addresses it realistically and honestly in the literature for the M4SDK. They say it has no barrel length "restriction", but using it on shorter barrels will inevitably shorten the overall lifespan of the silencer.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com...suppressor-silencer/

Black and fde in stock. If you look up modern samurai project he usually has coupon codes for them also.

They also have the sandman k in stock if you are dead set on a k can.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com.../dead-air-sandman-k/

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I looked around and decided to buy a Rugged Razor 7.62 as it was in stock at Silencershop. The K cans just don't reduce the sound enough to be practical so I went with a full sized can. Curious about the low backflow design with Rugged.

posted Hide Post
Low back-pressure designs are definitely the way to go, and the 5.56 through the .30 bore should enhance it even more. You should start looking for a 4-position gas valve for the 553 though, as you'll want to tame the action a bit. Another thing to consider is the device you'll use, and if it needs to be timed; the 553SB has almost no shoulder, so shims don't work. As far as K-cans vs. full-size, performance-wise, I think it's more about baffle design than anything else. The M4SDK I have is just as quiet as other full-size cans I have used. I'll be wearing ear protection either way, if I'm shooting more than a few shots, on that 9" barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

posted Hide Post
However, you may not need a 4-pos valve. Depends on your gun. My 553 actually proved to be an oddball that ran best unsuppressed on the adverse setting, and the normal setting turned out to be good for the silencer.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
However, you may not need a 4-pos valve. Depends on your gun. My 553 actually proved to be an oddball that ran best unsuppressed on the adverse setting, and the normal setting turned out to be good for the silencer.

Yeah I have one on order with JDI for my very over gassed 553 in 300 blackout. Dave just sent out a note that some parts will be shipping end of may?

That being said I have a 553 long barrel shipping from the Swiss some time next week and a an 550 unfinished coming in the weeks to follow. I'm gonna need a couple more gas valves. Might have to call gunfactory for those.

I did order the rugger r3 1/2x 28 flash hider for the new can. Still have to find the new razor 556 front cap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
That being said I have a 553 long barrel shipping from the Swiss some time next week and a an 550 unfinished coming in the weeks to follow. I'm gonna need a couple more gas valves. Might have to call gunfactory for those.

The SAN 4-pos valves, that I know of, are ported with the SB in mind, and are therefore still providing a bit too much gas for a LB gun, due to the increased dwell time. I am assuming there must be a LB 4-pos valve, as the STGW-07 is a 553LB. Or they just use the same one and aren't bothered enough to want a unique one.

The 553LB will run just fine on the 0.9mm smallest setting on the 4-pos valve, without a can.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

The SAN 4-pos valves, that I know of, are ported with the SB in mind, and are therefore still providing a bit too much gas for a LB gun, due to the increased dwell time. I am assuming there must be a LB 4-pos valve, as the STGW-07 is a 553LB. Or they just use the same one and aren't bothered enough to want a unique one.

The 553LB will run just fine on the 0.9mm smallest setting on the 4-pos valve, without a can.

Thanks that is good to know!