SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Threaded Barrel Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Threaded Barrel Question Login/Join 
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted
Sorry if this has been discussed. I searched and didn't find anything.

Just a simple question. I have a P220 Legion SAO. I want to put a threaded barrel on it. Can I just buy a P220 threaded barrel and drop it in? Does any fitting need to be done?

I have read that some threaded barrels require some gunsmithing to be done. Before I buy one from Sig's site I just wanted to know.

Thanks!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No need for fitting in your scenerio.
I have 3 Sig threaded barrels and 1 Gemtech in my Sigs and they dropped in no issue. No fitting needed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
No need for fitting in your scenerio.
I have 3 Sig threaded barrels and 1 Gemtech in my Sigs and they dropped in no issue. No fitting needed.

Thank you very much!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern service pistols with modern tolerances and limited number of factories producing them are usually amenable to full interchangeability. In the SIG law enforcement armorers class they take a dozen or so guns apart, put the pieces in a pile, and randomly draw parts to put them together. 1911s, HiPowers, old S&Ws, etc, often require fitting or have sloppy problematic drop in barrels due to old school manufacturing tolerances that assume fitting or armorers having a pile of parts to choose from until it fits.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is nearly certain it will drop in. But sigforum has certainly had a pretty decent number of posts over the years where it did not and some action needed to be taken to address it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k:
In the SIG law enforcement armorers class they take a dozen or so guns apart, put the pieces in a pile, and randomly draw parts to put them together.

That may include barrels recently, but years ago when I attended classes on Classic series pistols, we were instructed to not add slides and barrels to the general pile, but to keep them together. If that policy has changed, it could be at least in part to the fact that class guns aren’t ever going to be fired.

I have encountered new barrels that were initially a tight fit in Classic slides, but a box or so of ammunition fired would usually end any hesitation when the slide is retracted manually or in going into battery. I would therefore be surprised if that were not the case with any other new barrel purchase. A nice firm lockup due to a barrel’s being a little tight initially is actually a good thing to help with precision and accuracy.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post