SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Is fingerprinting something new?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is fingerprinting something new? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted
I've got a NFA trust, and two suppressors that belong to that trust. Bought two new ones this week, and the FFL (who's brand new, I'm his first NFA transaction), is telling me I need fingerprints and a photo? I didn't do that for either of my previous silencers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fingerprints and photo requirement is a couple years old now.
It came about thru the new atf 41f rule (?).
Maybe this happened when Obama was in office.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I bought my last one in 2016 I think.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep all that changed about 5 or so years ago. Now everyone listed in the trust that will have access to the items held by the trust must be fingerprinted and submit photos.

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Every Form 4 needs a photo and fingerprints.

A Trust is a legal document naming the Trustees or who can process the suppressors.

41F is a form that removes all named Trustees except the principal Trustee who submits a photo and fingerprints. A legal document that states there is only 1 responsible person in the Trust.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGfourme,

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Only the trustees have to be printed and photographed, not the beneficiaries.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The amendment 41F requires only the sole Trustee to submit photo and fingerprints.

This legal document removes all other Trustees from the Trust. ATF has to process one person. Then tear up the amendment after the stamp is received.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that 41F is the name of the rule making amendment that talking about photos and fingerprinting all RPs, and not an actual form that says “Form 41F”, at least not any government form. Some trusts may provide a trust amendment form to remove all trustees, except one, for their trusts, but that’s a form that’s made up for this purpose. It’s a loophole to get around having to send in prints and photos for everyone, not something that’s specifically addressed or advocated (or likely intended) in the ATF rule. It’s simply not disallowed by the wording of the rule, and therefore legal.

One potential thing to consider is that all of the removed trustees lose access to all of the existing NFA items on the trust during the time period that the new application is outstanding.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. He decided to punt back up to silencerco, pay them the money, and have them handle everything from here out.

I wasn't planning on modifying my trust beyond the addition of the two new silencers. Hopefully I won't have to.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I think Silencerco is the manufacturer- they don’t do the transfer.
Photo is easy- 2 x 2 “ color photo which you tape to Form 4.
Fingerprint cards are free from the ATF or use the local PD dept cards. You can do fingerprints yourself or at local PD.
Mail Copy of Trust, Form 4 with photo (2), fingerprint cards x2 and check for $200 to ATF.
Wait is about 10 months.
If you mean SilencerShop, SilencerShop kiosk will do fingerprints and Form 4 with your Trust electronically. Wait goes down to 3 months.

posted Hide Post
Wait times for recent paper Form 4s are running over 1 year. For eForm 4s, although 90 days was the goal, current approval times are running about 160 days. Maybe the times will go down as the initial rush of eForms gets run through, but who knows. Either way, you’ve got a wait.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I think Silencerco is the manufacturer- they don’t do the transfer.
Photo is easy- 2 x 2 “ color photo which you tape to Form 4.
Fingerprint cards are free from the ATF or use the local PD dept cards. You can do fingerprints yourself or at local PD.
Mail Copy of Trust, Form 4 with photo (2), fingerprint cards x2 and check for $200 to ATF.
Wait is about 10 months.
If you mean SilencerShop, SilencerShop kiosk will do fingerprints and Form 4 with your Trust electronically. Wait goes down to 3 months.

You are correct, I mean silencershop.

My dealer is setup with them, and I guess they can charge $25 and handle all the paperwork electronically. The FFL just sends a personalized link, and silencership does it all. App on the phone for the photo, and you send fingerprints....though my FFL is looking at purchasing the electronic fingerprinting stuff.

There's a lot of politics and $$$ involved in the kiosk.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Electronic filing will cut your wait time by half--worth $25.
I'm still waiting on a paper Trust transfer that is going on 15 months.
Alaska has Electronic Fingerprinting services-it may be worthwhile to contact one of them or locate a kiosk to enter the info electronically.
Think of the kiosk as an ATM for electronic BATF transfers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Some trusts may provide a trust amendment form to remove all trustees, except one, for their trusts, but that’s a form that’s made up for this purpose. It’s a loophole to get around having to send in prints and photos for everyone, not something that’s specifically addressed or advocated (or likely intended) in the ATF rule. It’s simply not disallowed by the wording of the rule, and therefore legal.

One potential thing to consider is that all of the removed trustees lose access to all of the existing NFA items on the trust during the time period that the new application is outstanding.

There's a PDF from the ATF titled "GENERAL 41F QUESTION & ANSWERS". One of the items included in it:

>Q: Will new responsible persons, added after the making or transfer, be subject to the same requirements?
>A: Once an application has been approved, no documentation is required to be submitted to ATF when a new responsible person is added to a trust or legal entity. However, should a responsible person change after the application has been submitted, but before it is approved, the applicant or transferee must contact the NFA Branch for guidance.

Posts: 341 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Only the trustees have to be printed and photographed, not the beneficiaries.
Beneficiaries are quite different then Trustees, & Co-Trustees.
Beneficiaries cannot possess the NFA item, until it transfers when you die.

Fingerprint cards are for sale on Amazon, for those that do not know they are provided free of charge from the ATF.

I’ve ordered twice and each time received the fingerprint cards free of charge in about a week.
Second time decided to just order 500 cards to have on hand.
Myself, wife, and kids are all on the trust as Trustees and Co-Trustees so it gets to be expensive going to the Police department for fingerprints.
We do our own now.

ATF Fingerprint Card Request.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Electronic filing will cut your wait time by half--worth $25.
I'm still waiting on a paper Trust transfer that is going on 15 months.
Alaska has Electronic Fingerprinting services-it may be worthwhile to contact one of them or locate a kiosk to enter the info electronically.
Think of the kiosk as an ATM for electronic BATF transfers.

Electronic Form 4 filing does not require electronic fingerprints. eForm 4s are currently taking 5-6 months for approval regardless of whether prints are mailed in or submitted electronically. eForm 1s with mailed in prints are taking about a month. The prints are not the hang up.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post