SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    AAC or Surefire?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AAC or Surefire? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Local shop had a Surefire 5.56 RC2 and a closed-tine Warcomp, and 3 QD Wardens sitting in the case the other day. I bought the Warcomp and a Warden, installed it on a 11.5 build, messed with the QD on the Warden and liked how solid it is, and decided to go back for the RC-2. I put money down, created an NFA trust in a couple days, and am going in to do the paperwork or e-form tomorrow. Tried after work today but the owner had left early.

The Surefire SOCOM mount system has lots of options, the 3P and 4P flash hiders are outstanding when unsuppressed, and the Warcomps are jacks of all trades. And since it's a military standard it's not going to end up unsupported.

I've been kicking around getting a suppressor for years, wondered about trusts, and what lawyer to use and all that. Finally, just decided to do it and stop waiting. Hopefully the RC-2 won't be in jail too terribly long. Even if it isn't the "best" in some areas, it will work fine, and last a long time.

Now I just need to get .22LR and 9mm covered....

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Local shop had a Surefire 5.56 RC2 and a closed-tine Warcomp...

Good choice.

quote:
...it will work fine, and last a long time.

True.

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Local shop had a Surefire 5.56 RC2 and a closed-tine Warcomp

You'll just fine with this setup.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Local shop had a Surefire 5.56 RC2 and a closed-tine Warcomp, and 3 QD Wardens sitting in the case the other day. I bought the Warcomp and a Warden, installed it on a 11.5 build, messed with the QD on the Warden and liked how solid it is, and decided to go back for the RC-2. I put money down, created an NFA trust in a couple days, and am going in to do the paperwork or e-form tomorrow. Tried after work today but the owner had left early.

The Surefire SOCOM mount system has lots of options, the 3P and 4P flash hiders are outstanding when unsuppressed, and the Warcomps are jacks of all trades. And since it's a military standard it's not going to end up unsupported.

I've been kicking around getting a suppressor for years, wondered about trusts, and what lawyer to use and all that. Finally, just decided to do it and stop waiting. Hopefully the RC-2 won't be in jail too terribly long. Even if it isn't the "best" in some areas, it will work fine, and last a long time.

Now I just need to get .22LR and 9mm covered....

You're gonna love the RC2. One thing I have noticed with my surefire over either my SiCo Saker or AAC M4-2000 is very minimal POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. So small I don't have to change my point of aim. My AAC and SiCo on the other hand bother have a noticeable difference. Not to mention the finish is also bomb proof unlike my gold colored M4-2000. Big Grin

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carriganzl:
One thing I have noticed with my surefire over either my SiCo Saker or AAC M4-2000 is very minimal POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. So small I don't have to change my point of aim. My AAC and SiCo on the other hand bother have a noticeable difference.

What kind of shifts are you experiencing with the AAC and SiCo? You've compared them all on the same gun? Are the shifts repeatable? Are the shifts vertical, or on a more horizontal axis? I have been curious about POI shifts lately, but have yet to prioritize evaluating my guns and silencers. Please describe your shifts in more detail, if you can.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
One thing I have noticed with my surefire over either my SiCo Saker or AAC M4-2000 is very minimal POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. So small I don't have to change my point of aim. My AAC and SiCo on the other hand bother have a noticeable difference.

What kind of shifts are you experiencing with the AAC and SiCo? You've compared them all on the same gun? Are the shifts repeatable? Are the shifts vertical, or on a more horizontal axis? I have been curious about POI shifts lately, but have yet to prioritize evaluating my guns and silencers. Please describe your shifts in more detail, if you can.

Not the same cans on the same guns. But I do have 2 rifles set up for surefire one 14.5" daniel defense and one 12.5" daniel defense with no shifts. I have 2 rifles set up for my AAC 16" colt and 10.5" noveske and they both have a shift of down and right suppressed. SiCo isn't completely fair to judge since it's a .30 cal saker, but it does also show shift between suppressed and unsuppressed.

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose some amount of downward shift is not out of line, considering the weight added to the muzzle. The fact that both of the AAC-equipped guns shift the same way is interesting. It would be a wild coincidence either way, wouldn't it? If it's gun-related, what are the odds both guns would do the same? If it's can-related, what are the odds everything ended up at the same "clock-position" on both guns?

At what distances do the shifts become truly measurable? Are we talking shifts greater than one MOA?

POI shifts aren't terribly important to me, as a shooter, as I always have the silencer installed. I do find them interesting as a silencer enthusiast though; they get a lot of mention in the silencer discussion.

I really need to compare POI with some of my guns/cans.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're gonna love the RC2. One thing I have noticed with my surefire over either my SiCo Saker or AAC M4-2000 is very minimal POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed. So small I don't have to change my point of aim. My AAC and SiCo on the other hand bother have a noticeable difference. Not to mention the finish is also bomb proof unlike my gold colored M4-2000. Big Grin

Surefire says they designed the RC2 to minimize zero shift. I assume there was a military spec they had to meet. I also like the idea that they have reduced back pressure because shooting an AR left handed already gets enough gas in the face and cans cause even more.

I found out I can get a Surefire SOCOM 3 prong in 15x1 to fit my MR762 (and 5/8-24 for anything else) so I had the store order a 762 RC-2 to go along with the 556 RC2. It should arrive in 2 weeks and then the Form 4's for both will be submitted together. After running back and forth to get photos and then get the fingerprints done at the Sheriff's office, I decided to just do it now and get it done in one "shot".

Interestingly the reduced back pressure on the 762 makes it less than optimal with subsonic 300 BLK but it is very good with supersonic ammo. And from what I read, the military values total flash reduction and compatibility with non-adjustable gas systems over maximum sound reduction. That and being able to use it as a club if you run out of ammo. The store had a 762 Mini in stock but reports are that it's pretty loud.

I considered the 300SPS which is designed for subsonic 300 BLK and is the quietest of all Surefires, but reports are that it has a lot more back pressure and only the blast baffle is inconel and the rest are stainless. The RC2's are all inconel. Size and weight are similar to the RC2. My only 300 BLK is a Rattler with the tapered shoulder barrel so I'm not sure if I want to put a surefire mount on top of a taper-to-flat adapter donut. Sounds like a recipe for problems. A taper mount Sig or Q can would be more appropriate.

Once I got into really getting a can (or two) I realized that durability is very important. Do it once and get something that will last forever. Don't want to have to go through the trouble of repairs or replacement. Also since the Surefire cans and mounts are military issue, they are not going to be going away anytime soon. And the SF3P is one of the best flash hiders available when not using a can. If Surefire has a patent on the mount, I suspect when it expires other companies will copy it.

For those that haven't seen it Pew Science does very exhaustive reports on suppressor performance.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it took until mid/late March, but the dealer and I did the paperwork for both RC2's, got everything in order and sent off the packet to ATF with two checks. They cashed both already so at least I know they got everything. Now the year or so wait begins.

posted Hide Post
I haven't been keeping up with who the latest and greatest suppressor manufacturers are but 10 years ago SilencerCo was pretty popular. Anyone know how they're doing in comparison to these newer companies?

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post