SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Barrel thread protectors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel thread protectors Login/Join 
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted
Hello,
How are you all securing your barrel thread protector caps on? Loctite will not work. I’m hearing two other options that might help:

Use an O ring.

Pipe thread tape.

If you use an O ring, how does that go on?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With an O-ring, you usually put it over the threads, against the shoulder, and tighten the thread protector against it. Just make sure to remove it before screwing on your suppressor.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
O-Rings here also.
I have found I don’t have to really torque down on the o-ring, just finger tight and the o-ring holds it.

I try to get Viton rings when I can. They are more resistant to the heat and chemicals (cleaning) they come in contact with.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Rocksett. Sparingly.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What be never had much of an issues with them loosening up. I buy my thread protectors from a shop called “down range products”. They make nice stuff for good prices.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Rubber o-rings have worked better for me than using a wrench to torque down a thread protector. O-rings cost pennies.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O rings work very well. I forget if it was Beretta or CZ but they used to use tiny little O rings on grip screws. Never come loose that way.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post