SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Opinions on Omega HK clones?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Omega HK clones? Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
I'm particularly interested in their MP5 SD barreled Receiver ... It's actually more complete than it sounds, all you add is tour trigger pack and suppressor, and I already have both ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't have any personal experience with them, but their full-size is on my very short list. I almost pulled the trigger on in a few months ago, but something else came up.

From what I researched, they are a great clone... especially for the money. Plus, they are 922 compliant.

Let us know what you decide.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I bought it ... But had an issue with it when I picked it up.

The ad said "add your favorite trigger pack and suppressor" ... What it should have said is to use your favorite trigger pack and HK MP5 SD-N suppressor.

I thought I could use "my" SWR Octane suppressor because it said the barrel has 18x1 threads and I mistakenly was thinking it had maybe a 3" threaded barrel that my suppressor would screw on to it ... but no, it's a true HK MP5 SD-N clone!

It is beautiful! Very nice welds, nice finish (although I wish it was flat black instead of semi-gloss) the only issue is that one rivet is mashed, but I'm not going to worry about it.

This picture was before I got the suppressor mounted and thought I was going to have to buy a SD suppressor, however I opened up the Silencerco 18x1 adapter to where it would fit the over the barrel, and took out 4 baffles to make it fit ... So, I'm happy now. It wasn't the cost of the SD suppressor that pissed me off, it's the 6-10 month wait for my stamp, but I came up with a work-around for it, and with my Octane mounted the suppressor sticks out about 2" less because an actual SD suppressor is 12" long.

I'm sure it's not as quiet as it would be with an SD suppressor, but even with only 4 baffles it averaged around 120db on my meter ... Probably because the barrel bleeds off pressure just after the chamber ... I'd like to come up with an SD adapter so I could use Octane without having to spend another $600-$800 for another suppressor and stupid long wait for approval.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
How is the balance? The two times I've played with an MP5SD I wasn't impressed with the handling. The front was really heavy.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
How is the balance? The two times I've played with an MP5SD I wasn't impressed with the handling. The front was really heavy.

Of course with the collapsible stock there isn't much weight in the back ... its so short I haven't noticed a balance problem however there is no muzzle rise.

The only thing I can think of is the suppressor extremely heavy because it only has a 5" barrel.

I got my Octane suppressor to fit ... opened up the 18x1 direct thread adapter so that it would fit over the barrel ... With the barrel inside the suppressor I can only fit 4 baffles and use the spring from the piston to keep the baffles forward. My db meter averages between 120db and 140db ... I'm sure that when I get the extension/adapter made it should register even less. The adapter will screw directly into the base of the barrel and will have the center support in it, then the suppressor will simply attach to the adapter (like any other adapter) and the all the baffles will be used. If I want to use the suppressor on another weapon, just remove the adapter and use the one for the next application.