SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What happen to our NFA items when we die?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happen to our NFA items when we die? Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
This question pops into my mind once in a while. I just want to have an idea on what happen to our NFA items (registered as individual) when we die. All of my SBRs and suppressors are registered individually under my name.

Do we include those NFA items in our will? How do they get transferred to our survivor that are of legal age?

Is better to transfer each item into a TRUST (include my wife and my son, and pay another $200 for each item), while I am still well and kicking? One TRUST, multiple members and multiple NFA items on one TRUST?

I just want to make sure they get transferred to my family. What is you plan?

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put them in your will. The executor of your estate can transfer them to your heirs tax free via a Form 5.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have all of my items (except one) on a trust, along with the rest of my immediate family.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have them as an individual you just put them in your will. They transfer tax free to your heirs.
Here's a brief snippet of part of the ATF FAQ on the issue.

"The firearms may be transferred on a tax-exempt basis to a lawful heir. The executor would apply on ATF Form 5, Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of a Firearm, for a tax-exempt transfer to a lawful heir. A lawful heir is anyone named in the decedent’s will or, in the absence of a will, anyone entitled to inherit under the laws of the State in which the decedent last resided. NFA firearms may be transferred directly interstate to a beneficiary of the estate. When a firearm is being transferred to an individual heir, his or her fingerprints on FBI Forms
FD-258 must accompany the transfer application. However, if any Federal, State or local law prohibits the heir from receiving or possessing the firearm, ATF will not approve the application."

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
?Isn't it better to have them in an NFA trust. That way you can avoid probate and getting your info out in the world. The trust goes to survivors, which you can control via internal documents and never shows up on any government radar.

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
who holds the items during the time from from death to transfer on form 5, in most states you'll have a 30 to 45 day waiting period when you probate a will until the executors letter of testamentary is approved by the judge.

Do they stay in the deceased safe, or if there is an attorney involved, does the attorney hold them, just curious.

Mine are in a trust so it will pass to family anyway but wondered how it will happen.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per the ATF. "It is the responsibility of the executor of the estate to maintain custody and control of the firearms and to transfer the firearms registered to the decedent."

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:
?Isn't it better to have them in an NFA trust. That way you can avoid probate and getting your info out in the world. The trust goes to survivors, which you can control via internal documents and never shows up on any government radar.

Trust or individual, your designated heir must by law file a form 5.

A Trusts only benefit really is allowing you to designate Responsible persons. They must complete a 5320.23 RP questionnaire and undergo a background check. Then once completed they can use your NFA items with out your being present.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 21, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post