SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressing the P320?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressing the P320? Login/Join 
posted
Anybody here run their P320 suppressed? If so, how are they as suppressor hosts?

Not so much worried about if it will work or be reliable, I assume will and are (most guns are) but how does it do with blowback and port noise etc.?

Some hosts like the 1911 and the 226 do very well in those regards because of weight and lock times while other hosts like the Glock suck as suppressor hosts because of those reasons. Trying to see where the 320 fits into the mix?

Please includes what other platforms you've actually shot, side by side, with the 320 and the same suppressor?

Also, anybody know why Sig's threaded barrels for the 320 line are so long? The full size barrel goes from 4.7" to 5.5" for the threaded version and the compact/carry go from 3.9" to 4.6" for the threaded version. I understand that threaded barrels have to be longer but they don't need to be that much longer?

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig factory 9mm barrels are threaded M13.5-1 LH. The length of the area between the barrel shoulder and the muzzle crown is longer on the M13.5 design as compared to 1/2x28. The M13.5 pattern has a unthreaded area in front of the threads to make it easier to align the piston with the barrel threads, and another unthreaded area behind the threads to prevent “wobble” if the can starts to unscrew itself during firing.

https://allenarmstactical.com/...s-1-2x28/2019/06/13/

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply but the thread pitch doesn't fully explain it IMO? Sig's 226 threaded barrels are also threaded M13.5-1 LH but they are only 5" longer then the standard 226 barrel (4.4" vs 4.9"). The full length 320 threaded barrels are 8" longer than the nonthreaded versions and the compact/carry threaded barrels are 7" longer then standard. Seems to me even after factoring in the European threading that the 320 barrels are still 2-3" longer then the need to be?

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgunner:
Thanks for the reply but the thread pitch doesn't fully explain it IMO? Sig's 226 threaded barrels are also threaded M13.5-1 LH but they are only 5" longer then the standard 226 barrel (4.4" vs 4.9"). The full length 320 threaded barrels are 8" longer than the nonthreaded versions and the compact/carry threaded barrels are 7" longer then standard. Seems to me even after factoring in the European threading that the 320 barrels are still 2-3" longer then the need to be?

I think you are off a decimal point, and mean that the P226 barrels are 0.5” longer, not 5”. It’s possible that the P320 needs a little more spacing to clear the guide rod when at full recoil.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

I think you are off a decimal point, and mean that the P226 barrels are 0.5” longer, not 5”. It’s possible that the P320 needs a little more spacing to clear the guide rod when at full recoil.

You are obviously correct about the math (I shouldn't post first thing in the morning LOL) but my point remains. You may also be correct about the guide rod clearance but that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out?

Doesn't seem like many people are shooting the 320's suppressed and I'm not sure if there's a reason for that? I'll probably just stick with the 226 for that purpose but I was curious what other's experiences with the 320 suppressed have been?

posted Hide Post
quote:
?

in my experience the P320 compares very well to the P226 when using a suppressor. Having owned/shot both, I had very minimal blowback (unlike my early model VP9) and accuracy was good. For the P320C I have the Silencerco 1/2x28 barrel. I also had a Factory Sig 1/2x28 barrel on my P226.

Posts: 12 | Location: Tx | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I run a suppressed P320 with Silencerco barrels and it runs flawlessly! I hate left hand threading so I have never tried it with the factory barrel.

O get slightly more blowback than my P226 but unless you shoot them one right after the other you certainly can't tell the difference

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
I hate left hand threading so I have never tried it with the factory barrel.

Interesting you say that. So far I've only used 1/2x28 threaded barrels but I've seen a lot of industry experts say the LH thread is superior? I have a NIB Sig MK-25 threaded barrel that I plan to try if I can ever find me a MK-25 so I'm curious to try it and see how it compares (I have a SiCo 1/2x28 barrel on my other 226)

Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

quote:
I hate left hand threading so I have never tried it with the factory barrel.

Interesting you say that. So far I've only used 1/2x28 threaded barrels but I've seen a lot of industry experts say the LH thread is superior? I have a NIB Sig MK-25 threaded barrel that I plan to try if I can ever find me a MK-25 so I'm curious to try it and see how it compares (I have a SiCo 1/2x28 barrel on my other 226)

To clarify, I have been running a suppressed P226 for a long time and used to do it with a factory barrel. The mounting solution itself is fine, the only reason I hate it is it's different from every other gun I run suppressed and required booster change anytime I wanted to run it on a Sig so I just went 1/2x28 on everything to make my life simpler.

Hope that helped. Happy shooting

and Range Safety officer

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
To clarify, I have been running a suppressed P226 for a long time and used to do it with a factory barrel. The mounting solution itself is fine, the only reason I hate it is it's different from every other gun I run suppressed and required booster change anytime I wanted to run it on a Sig so I just went 1/2x28 on everything to make my life simpler.

That's understandable and makes sense. Have you seen Griffin Armament's CAM-LOK Universal piston system? Can be pricy depending on the number of pistol hosts and suppressors you have but it makes switching suppressors from one host to another a breeze regardless of thread pattern.

Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's understandable and makes sense. Have you seen Griffin Armament's CAM-LOK Universal piston system? Can be pricy depending on the number of pistol hosts and suppressors you have but it makes switching suppressors from one host to another a breeze regardless of thread pattern.

I've seen it, have not had the occasion to play with it yet

and Range Safety officer

posted Hide Post
Do the P320 threaded barrels fit plug and play with the Wilson Combat P320’s? I don’t want to assume.. thanks

Posts: 256 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
Seeking feedback:
Does 9mm suppresser really worth for 115 gr? Or, only 124 gr or 147 gr give you significant benefit.
Thank you.

.)))*"((((((( *¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*
>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
Get some, then get some more ... ST10
Success in handgun marksmanship is about operating the pistol, not hitting the target. - Bruce Gray
Knowledge is power, ONLY when you share it. - Me
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3662 | Location: Cop Land | Registered: September 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG_P226:
Seeking feedback:
Does 9mm suppresser really worth for 115 gr? Or, only 124 gr or 147 gr give you significant benefit.
Thank you.

What exactly is your goal? There is a significant difference in sound level between supersonic and subsonic rounds. 115gr is typically supersonic (so is most 124gr loads) and 147gr and heavier loads are subsonic.

If you are wanting "Hollywood quiet" well know that none of them truly are but with the right setup, a good can with subsonic loads come close.

But if you are thinking HD and want to be able to fire a 115gr round indoors without loosing hearing then yes, a suppressor would still be beneficial but will present other challenges

Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
Thank you, AirGunner; I was looking for db reduction info (felt - not manufactory data). I am planning to setup and shoot my 9mm on my property (outdoor) which law allows but my neighbor may rise his eyebrows. I know Hollywood Quiet is not possible, it is just movie Smile. I reload and can tune for subsonic, but I have no control over how sound travel Frown. Best I can hope is - oh, it does not sound like gun fired somewhere, HaHaHa.
Appreciate any feedback, my goal may not be achievable, but better to know before I spend all the money. (I am targeting P320 setup, BTW, all model felt different results.) Thank you.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG_P226:
Seeking feedback:
Thank you.

What exactly is your goal? There is a significant difference in sound level between supersonic and subsonic rounds. 115gr is typically supersonic (so is most 124gr loads) and 147gr and heavier loads are subsonic.

If you are wanting "Hollywood quiet" well know that none of them truly are but with the right setup, a good can with subsonic loads come close.

But if you are thinking HD and want to be able to fire a 115gr round indoors without loosing hearing then yes, a suppressor would still be beneficial but will present other challenges

.)))*"((((((( *¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*
>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
Success in handgun marksmanship is about operating the pistol, not hitting the target. - Bruce Gray
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3662 | Location: Cop Land | Registered: September 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^147 gr is the only std factory 9mm load that's sub-sonic, typically at 1000 FPS. That's what you should shoot is you want quiet 9mm. That said, it will still be loud enough that your neighbors WILL know you're shooting a gun... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
Thanks, exactly what I am afraid of. It seems will be easier to know all my neighbors after I moved in, or get 100 arc in WV.
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^147 gr is the only std factory 9mm load that's sub-sonic, typically at 1000 FPS. That's what you should shoot is you want quiet 9mm. That said, it will still be loud enough that your neighbors WILL know you're shooting a gun... Wink

>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

I agree. Subsonic 147gr loads are hearing safe outdoors and sound great but you yeah, your neighbors will know a gun is being shot, it will just be a lot quieter then they expected. I've never stood down range or far enough away to verify it but supposedly suppressed shots are harder to pin down where they are coming from?

For quiet backyard shooting, I highly recommend a .22LR suppressor. With subsonic ammo they are very quiet. Shot out of a non-semi-auto platform and they are literally airgun quiet.

Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
I do have AirGun for target practice, I was really hoping for a 9mm solution that'd allow me to utilize my backyard for drills. Oh, well, let me make friends after I settled first, maybe I think too much Smile .
Thank you, guys.

>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
NRA Life Member