SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    To those who have more than one can for the same caliber: what was your most recent purchase and why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To those who have more than one can for the same caliber: what was your most recent purchase and why? Login/Join 
posted
Over the last few years, I have found myself adding multiple 5.56 silencers to the "collection". I will buy something new or different to assess some unique "feature", performance aspect, mounting interface, etc. So, other folks who already had a silencer in a certain caliber, and bought another later on, why did you? And what was it?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I added more rimfire and handgun cans when I wanted a) to not have to wait for them to cool when shooting multiple hosts and b) shorter models that were not available when the originals were purchased.

For handguns, I started off with one AAC TiRant 45M, then got another when I wanted one solely for the 9mm SBR, then a TiRant 9S when I found one for nearly half the price of the 45M’s.

For rimfire, started off with a Mack Brothers Tango and added a TacSol Aeris to get a teeny one for my Beretta 71.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I just got a Nomad Ti to dedicate to my MCX to save weight over the SRD762QD. So I got a can just to drop a few ounces off the front of one rifle.

Also am going to be getting a Sandman K for a similar reason: to knock length and weight off the front of a gun.

I'm at the point now where I will trade suppression (or cash, if I'm buying a whole new can) for size savings for specific guns.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have started to go the other way; opting for performance attributes over size and weight savings. I bought an OSS last year, and a SF RC2 and Otter Creek OCM5 this year. I have also been tinkering with flash mitigation accessories. I got the OSS to see what the flow-through, low pressure designs have to offer. I bought the SF because of it's reputation, fail-safe baffle design, and supposed low flash signature. I got the OCM5 in pursuit of superior noise reduction.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have four rimfire cans, last one was the Dead Air Mask. Just needed more and bought what was on sale. I have 3 9mm cans, latest was the Omega 9K because I wanted something shorter for a PCC. I'm looking at the YHM R9 now to use on 350 legend.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8007 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have 2 308 cans. First was a Coastal Guns direct thread on that can be taken apart and cleaned..had the company replace the baffles with 338 baffles as I used it on a 5.56 and damaged the original baffles. Then a few years ago I got a Sig762QD and I move it etween 3 different ARs.

I’m going to designate the Coastal Guns can to my 243 when I get a new barrel fo it….currently the 1:10 won’t stabilize heavy 95/100 grain bullets…so when I get a new one it will be 22” and threaded for the can.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11266 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems more folks have multiple pistol or rimfire cans, than center-fire rifle cans. I don't own a rimfire can, and only have one 9mm silencer; I have no desire for either another pistol can of the same, or any other caliber, nor do I intend to get a rimfire silencer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Seems more folks have multiple pistol or rimfire cans, than center-fire rifle cans. I don't own a rimfire can, and only have one 9mm silencer; I have no desire for either another pistol can of the same, or any other caliber, nor do I intend to get a rimfire silencer.

Not me. I only have one rimfire can (Rugged Oculus), and that’s all I need. Only have two dedicated pistol cans (one 9mm and one .45). Have a couple of PCC cans, that are a bit too large/heavy for use on conventional handguns, and half a dozen rifle cans.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

OK your probably a way bit off the normal tracks, but I personally don't care. I have multiples of everything. Its a philosophy. Not just cans, guns, ammo, mags, optics, the whole shebang. The idea of a single example of an item I use is terrifying. Running a rimfire can is just about the best thing one can do for fun. But that's just me. Running a 9mm PCC can is second place again in the fun category.
But on serious rifle cans (which I know is what the OP was about) I have multiples as well. As you know I run surefire on semiauto's and TB on bolt guns. Surefire makes a wide variety of cans with all kinds of different tradeoffs... So I have multiples to take advantage of that. They all use the same mount so its mostly a plug and play world. Same really for TB. You can get something built specificly for the caliber, barrel length, etc. etc. with a bit better suppression and that's the whole point of owning these. So I do. Yes I could just pick one and run everything through it, but that seems odd to me in a world where you can optimize what you are doing and the tools to do it.
As always FWIW. YMMV.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10989 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first suppressor was a SiCo Omega 36M and my second is Hybrid 46M that I hope gets out of ATF jail next month. I bought these specifically for the flexibility to switch between calibers. My 36M is primarily on a 5.56 AR but I intend to use it on a 9mm pistol and a 6.5 Creedmore rifle as well. The 46M will cover 5.56 as well as a .45ACP pistol and .44 lever rifle in the future (hopefully). I am sure there are better suppressors that are caliber specific but these do what I want, which is to shoot without as much noise as my daughters don’t like “loud” very much.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than shooting some 5.56 through my SDN6, I have never flexed one silencer over multiple calibers. I see the appeal of the hybrid-type cans, but the options don't appeal to me personally. I was hot on the "HUB" threading for a while, and I still think it offers very useful versatility, but, after messing with it enough, I decided I ultimately don't care for silencers that are threaded together, for hard use.
I shot a Surefire RC2 for the first time last night; it's pending approval, but the LGS granted me a visit. I wish I had invested in one of these long ago. In the context of my current flash mitigation quest, it performs admirably (hrcjon said as much in another thread). It also certainly adds less back pressure to the weapon, as my purpose-built silencer rifle didn't fully cycle with the Hornady 75gr Interlock. So, those out there who are looking to add another 5.56 can to the arsenal would do well to consider the RC2.

Edit: After giving it more thought, the more versatile hybrid and/or "HUB" cans are indeed suitable for hard use (depending on the ratings of the can itself, of course). Suitability depends on the mount interface you choose, though. I use my "HUB" can with A2 HALO-type mounts. This often causes problems when removing the silencer; the can will thread off the mount interface before the mount itself unthreads. Rocksett helps, so long as you didn't shoot enough to compromise it. Also, the versatile cans often require spanner wrenches, and they can be aggravating to use, IMO. The "jack of all trades, master of none" logic can be applied to these silencers as well, which can be good or bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

posted Hide Post
After purchasing a RC2 last year, I recently did paperwork on a mini2. Primarily the mini will be used on longer rifles while the rc2 will live on shorter guns. Once I put the rc2 on longer guns,14.5 & 16, I didn't care for the added weight and how it balanced the gun.

I also plan on another 22 suppressor at some point. Echoing what others have said, I don't want to wait for cans to cool before swapping to other hosts. Down the road, another pistol caliber suppressor may be added for the same reason.

What I don't have at the moment is a good 30 cal suppressor. I need to fix that.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 different brands for different reasons. One is built like a tank. The other is smaller but well built as well. They are both incredibly quiet and I would be happy if I had to only have one of either one. I found out buying cans is like eating potato chips...

Posts: 494 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post