SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    So I guess I need to know what a form 1 is.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I guess I need to know what a form 1 is. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I see you guys are submitting form 1 for lowers and sbr and suppressors and they are approved in meer weeks. What exactly in a form 1?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Google NFA É file form 1.
E file enables the quick processing.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Why would anyone do a form 4 for a suppressor then?

posted Hide Post
The forms have different uses and don't interchange and the ATF has so far not figured out how to do an efile form4.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A form 1 is used to manufacture an NFA item, a form 4 is to buy an NFA item. If you want to use an auto oil filter as a suppressor then you could make it through a form 1. If you want to buy a Dead Air, Rugged, SilencerCo, etc then you acquire it through a form 4.

Posts: 341 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Another common use is, if you want to convert one of your existing rifles to a registered short barreled rifle, or SBR, you need a form 1 and to jump through all of the hoops including specifcation of caliber, dimensions and engraving a new serial number of your choosing and whatnot.

I hear going with 0000EATADICK0000 or something equally amusing will result in denial, by the way.

Same form/process to make an SBS or AOW.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
A form 1 is used to manufacture an NFA item, a form 4 is to buy an NFA item. If you want to use an auto oil filter as a suppressor then you could make it through a form 1. If you want to buy a Dead Air, Rugged, SilencerCo, etc then you acquire it through a form 4.

This is correct.

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Another common use is, if you want to convert one of your existing rifles to a registered short barreled rifle, or SBR, you need a form 1 and to jump through all of the hoops including specifcation of caliber, dimensions and engraving a new serial number of your choosing and whatnot.

This is not entirely accurate. You use the existing firearm's serial number. The "new" manufactured firearm is engraved with the maker's name and city and state. Most have it engraved in small text on the magwell lip, trigger housing, etc.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Why would anyone do a form 4 for a suppressor then?

Because that’s the form that you have to use if you want to buy a suppressor made by a manufacturer like Dead Air, Rugged, Griffin, SilencerCo, etc.

Form 1 can only be used you are building a suppressor yourself. Some places sell kits, that are basically tubes and baffles that aren’t drilled out, so you have to finish them yourself, similar to a 80% lower.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks guys. The buying a kit and doing a form 1 sounds interesting.

Maybe some kind of a PC 9mm unit. Any suggestions and how much does one cost besides the stamp. How hard is it? Both the doing and the process?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Ok, thanks guys. The buying a kit and doing a form 1 sounds interesting.

Maybe some kind of a PC 9mm unit. Any suggestions and how much does one cost besides the stamp. How hard is it? Both the doing and the process?

There’s a whole forum over at arfcom dedicated to build-your-own suppressors.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Ar...uild-It-Yourself/55/

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
thanks, does not seem like something I would consider doing.