SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    First suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First suppressor Login/Join 
Picture of jarcher
posted
I just moved from the peoples democratic republic of Rhode Island to the free state of South Carolina. I have been wanting a suppressor for years, and living here I can actually get one.

So, which? I'll probably attach it to a 226, but maybe a smaller pistol depending upon what I can get a barrel for. I don't currently have any long guns chambered in 9mm or 300 blackout.

I'm thinking of a Gemtech Lunar 9. I like that it can be long or short, and the reviews I have seen on YouTube seem favorable.

Since I know very little (just what I have read) I thought I would seek opinions and suggestions. I realize it will take months to actually get it.

Thanks...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Posts: 2106 | Location: Charleston, SC US | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
I would pass on the gemtech... they are in a state of limbo as a company ! Take a look at the offerings from: SilencerCo, Rugged, Dead Air...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Silencerco’s Ospery or Octane. Both are very good suppressors.

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree on avoiding a Gemtech. I love some of their older silencers, so it kind of hurts to say it, but I'd steer clear now.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rugged Obsidian is a great can. User serviceable and modular, so it can be used in both short and long configurations.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Consider CGS Mod 9. Lightweight, excellant balance, excellant sound suppression.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jarcher
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I'll check all these out. I see Sig makes a modular suppressor, yet no one mentioned that one. Is that a good choice?

Ideally I'll find a modular one that works well and allows use of the existing sights. Maybe too much to ask in one can but I'm looking.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Posts: 2106 | Location: Charleston, SC US | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jarcher:
Thanks everyone, I'll check all these out. I see Sig makes a modular suppressor, yet no one mentioned that one. Is that a good choice?

Ideally I'll find a modular one that works well and allows use of the existing sights. Maybe too much to ask in one can but I'm looking.

I think you’ll be hard pressed to find one that doesn’t block standard height sights, unless you have a pistol with a low bore axis and/or use a small diameter suppressor. The Osprey is one of the best for not blocking sights as it’s an asymmetric not-round can, but it’s not modular, nor is it user serviceable (if that’s important to you.).

That said, I do have an Osprey 9, and it’s my primary pistol can. The single length and lack of serviceability are less important to me than not blocking the sights.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
I bought a SilencerCo Omega 36M for my first and a few months later ordered a SilencerCo SwithchBack.

The 36M is great I am looking forward to the SwitchBack being released in a few months.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Rugged Obsidian 45. I use it on a .45, 9mm, and even a .22. Easy maintenance! Top quality materials and construction. As quiet as any on the market. Great customer service. As for suppressor height sights , I shot a while without them by shooting “through” the suppressor and was quite accurate . I then got the overwhelming desire to have raised night sights so I spent more money on Heinie 8s night sights for suppressor use. They are great but,honestly, I wish I had saved the money cause I shot about as well using standard sights. Of course I’m not using this as a competition pistol. Ymmv.

Posts: 75 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Dead Air Odessa 9 meets your requirements.
Modular
Only 1.1" in diameter--so you can use your standard sights.

Modular should not be high on your priority list. To achieve good sound suppression should be the 1st requirement.
Look at the You Tube Videos for CGS--either Kracken or Mod 9.
I use my AAC Illusion a lot because it has an offset bore (like an original Maxim).
Features that are desirable in a 9mm can are good sound suppression and light weight.
Unfortunately, suppressors can be addictive. Once you start, you need another-then another.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first suppressor was a SilencerCo Omega 36M and I love it’s modularity. Right now it resides on an AR but soon to see duty on a 9mm VP9 (need the barrel) and Remington 700 in .30-06. Like PowerBook, I am looking at their Switchback 22 but see myself leaning towards a Hybrid 46.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jarcher:
I just moved from the peoples democratic republic of Rhode Island to the free state of South Carolina. I have been wanting a suppressor for years, and living here I can actually get one.

So, which? I'll probably attach it to a 226, but maybe a smaller pistol depending upon what I can get a barrel for. I don't currently have any long guns chambered in 9mm or 300 blackout.

I'm thinking of a Gemtech Lunar 9. I like that it can be long or short, and the reviews I have seen on YouTube seem favorable.

Since I know very little (just what I have read) I thought I would seek opinions and suggestions. I realize it will take months to actually get it.

Thanks...

I was in this boat a few years ago. I had already owned a 22lr can. I ended up with 4 dead air ghost m's.

Solid do all can for anything pistol or sub sonic rifle pressure rounds.

I am exceedingly happy with the ghost m's

I have a sandman Ti, Nomad 30, Mask, and Odessa 9

Out of them all, my least useful is the odessa.

It spits like a mother fucker. it does not matter what gun I use it on, the back pressure is 10x what the ghost is. every pistol I put it on kicks shit right back in my face.

Even 22lr guns with out tilting barrels. It is almost worthless for practical use.

I have talked to DA, and they want me to send it back in, but they say in my pics they see nothing wrong with it.

For other cans, Rex silentium in 9/45 acp is a good around can.

Any 9mm/45 acp can will suit you fine. I cannot hear the difference in most 9mm cans versus my ghost shooting 9mm.

as for a second can, which really is my suggestion for a first can. Rimfire, a good 22lr can is where it is at.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I echo getting the .22 can as well. You might as well do them both together. That's what I ended up doing.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The Rugged Obsidian is a great can. User serviceable and modular, so it can be used in both short and long configurations.

I have their 45 can (received from dealer a couple weeks ago) and could not be happier. What did you buy? Are you happy with it?

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neverenoughguns:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

I have their 45 can (received from dealer a couple weeks ago) and could not be happier. What did you buy? Are you happy with it?

I have the Obsidian 45. I’m very happy with it.

posted Hide Post
I'm quite content with my Rugged Obsidian 9. It was my first suppressor and thus far it was an excellent choice.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've been using a YHM Cobra 9mm can on my P226 for years. It works very well. There are tons of newer options out there that I would consider.

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Out of them all, my least useful is the odessa.

It spits like a mother fucker. it does not matter what gun I use it on, the back pressure is 10x what the ghost is. every pistol I put it on kicks shit right back in my face.

Interesting. If there is nothing wrong with the can, have you tried different ammo? I reload my own subsonic 9mm, and I've noticed that the effect you describe is HUGELY influenced by the powder burn rate. Going to a faster burning powder can make it go from a face full of needles to almost nothing at all.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in South Carolina as well and I have thought of getting a suppressor but I can’t ever seem to make a decision about this. I found out that the range I frequent (weekly) allows you to use your suppressor while you are waiting for the paperwork to come back. Of course they are not the most economical of the stores who carry them.
I am leaning towards the rugged product and they are made here in the upstate of SC. To bad they don’t have tours and demos.

Posts: 13 | Location: Charleston SC | Registered: July 15, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've a many of different options discussed (but not all) and some exotic ones not mentioned, but in aggregate of all the factors including price, attachment options, configuration, ease of cleaning and support it is truly hard to beat the Rugged Obsidian. As others have said it only a tiny bit of sound penalty to get the 45 version and that opens up a ton more options in the future. If you forced me to have one suppressor in this particular caliber space that is the one I would keep and recommend.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post